Chit Chat
Options

Is February enough time?

I feel like I've been engaged forever without a date set, and it somehow feels like the engagement is not confirmed because of it. I'm starting to feel sick about it. I don't know if it's because of not having a date or the whole situation in general. After my future Sister-in-Law got engaged, my future mother-in-law somehow got it in her head that we need to have a double wedding. We thought she was joking at first, but she got real f-ing serious about it and when we told her we didn't want to do that, she flipped out!   She told my fiance to send her a post card from our honeymoon since she won't be at the wedding. He asked her what the heck that meant and she said that since we obviously don't want her feedback, there's no reason for her to attend.  Um, all we did was tell her that we didn't want the same wedding as his sister. That's it.

So now we're trying to figure out everything and we don't have a lot of money.  At one of the venues we are looking at (it's a restaurant really), they have a really great deal at the end of February if we have it on a Sunday. They are basically waiving all of the site fees and just charging us a minimum food order of $1,000.  I think we can manage it if we save a lot and skimp on things like a limo and dj etc... but we wouldn't be able to do our honeymoon right away.  I don't know how I feel about that..  Additionally, it's not the fancy places that his mother was looking at for us. She has trashed every place that was on our list. I feel like she's going to keep harping until we give in.    

Do you think there is enough time to get everything done in 7 months? I don't have a dress or anything yet. Would you wait? Would you even give her opinions the time of day?

Re: Is February enough time?

• Options
    Go for it.  You have enough time to find a dress if you start shopping now.  You can also try renting a dress or buying off the rack.

If this is what you want, don't give in to FMIL.

We are also taking a delayed honeymoon for budget reasons.  We're doing a simple long weekend locally right after the wedding to relax, and then taking the big honeymoon later.  I think it's pretty common now.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• Options
    They told us in a note that they were going to pay for our honeymoon as their gift, originally. But I don't want to bet on that. I don't want their money with the stuff she's said to me right now either. I hadn't thought about a short, local one.
  • Options
    You can do it!  Please don't let this woman push you around.  Get married whenever you want!  
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    More than enough time  :)  Seven months is about how much time FI and I have actually been planning (we put off any wedding planning at the beginning of our engagement until I had gotten affairs together and moved cross country to be with him) and despite how panicked I feel a month out, it's all coming together.  Don't let FMIL bother you a bit, have your wedding when you want!
    Anniversary

• Options
    SBminiSBmini member
    5 Love Its First Comment First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Definitely establish a budget and a savings program and stick with it! Look for hidden costs. For example, do you need to hire extra bar tenders? Is the food all priced a'la cart? What about parking? And so on and so fort. You CAN do it in 7 months, especially if you have a venue and a plan! 

good luck and don't let FMIL's drama bring you down. She obviously is upset that she isn't the center of attention here. And rightfully she shouldn't be. It's not her f'ing wedding!
  • Options
    My engagement was 7 months. You can absolutely do it.
  • Options
    My engagement was also 7 months. It's totally doable.

Also, it sounds like you might need to stop talking about your wedding with your FMIL.
  • Options
    Thanks guys! I think we should just put the deposit down and plan.  At this point, even if she offered to pay for a big venue, I am so upset and sad to my core about how she is being that I don't think I want it.

My fiance thinks we should elope. I think my family would be hurt by that though. 

• Options
    Money is so touchy. My parents have offered money, but they just don't have much. I know my father would either be withdrawing from his 401K or taking out a loan and I don't feel like that's appropriate. It hurt my father to pieces that I wasn't accepting this and we talked about it and I said that it would be more meaningful to me if they could take care of my dress and I think they are happy with that.

I really wanted to wear my grandmother's dress but the seamstress showed us the fabric was starting to fall apart. Shame.
  • Options
    AddieCakeAddieCake member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited June 2014
    Plenty of time! When one of my friends was getting married, her husband suddenly got transferred out of state right after they got engaged. They didn't want to live apart, so they planned their wedding in 2 months.

One of my bridesmaids planned hers in about 2 weeks. Both were great!
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    We did ours in 9 months, and I found that for some of the middle months, I was twiddling my thumbs with nothing really to do. 7 months is totally doable! If you're comfortable with the venue and, most importantly, you have enough of a budget at your disposal that you aren't going to go into debt or have to rely on unreliable people, then go for it!

• Options
    Aray82Aray82 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    If you can get the venue you want, it's plenty of time! We are also delaying our honeymoon--no idea what or when but most likely next summer after our October wedding. We're teachers/students and also had some huge medical expenses suddenly pop up these last two months. Yeah, I'm a little bummed that we have to delay plans for it, but it'll just spread out the excitement and anticipation that much more .
  • Options
    Our engagement was 6 months almost to the day. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Thank you everyone! I have been feeling better about it. We're putting a deposit down when i get paid... I normally get paid on Fridays but the 4th is throwing that off. I had a dream where someone booked it before i could, but luckily, I called the venue and she said it's no problem to hold it for me until Monday.

• Options
    I got engaged on Memorial Day and our wedding was early February. You'll be fine. Also, February is a slower month for weddings, and we got some discounts because of that ....
  • Options
    YES! That's why we booked for the date we did, had all the fees waived, just have a min. food order.
  • Options
    NYCMercedesNYCMercedes member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited July 2014
    Don't be there! She's been terrible to you. Let him deal with his mom. Eta, well I don't mean let him hang out to dry, but good luck.
  • Options
    I'm going dress shopping!
  • Options
    He told her.  I guess she didn't say much of anything at all except for "if that's your decision..." It's extremely odd for her.  I guess it's the best case scenario.

His sister privately thanked him. She had said she was fine with the double wedding nonsense but apparently she really wasn't (says my fiance). Of course she wasn't!

She didn't say she was coming. Whatever, we will assume she is and save that mountain for another month.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards