Louisiana-New Orleans

Vendor Reviews 5/3/14

St. Patrick’s Church: A  Yes, they have their rules and you have to follow them.  But the church is magnificent.   You have to do the NFP class.  But it is online and no big deal.  The dress I chose was technically off the shoulder, but it covered my back and cleavage which is what I think they really care about.  I had more trouble finding bridesmaids dresses, but once I started searching MOB dresses I found more modest cuts and it was fine.  The church lady there is strict but organized and my wedding was beautiful, well orchestrated and on time.

Gallier Hall: B+  The manager here is a little scatter brained so be prepared to stay on top of her.  It is, however, a beautiful venue at a great price.  We rented the entire second floor for $3k with security and a $500 deposit that came back to us.  You do have to bring in your own caterer, florist, linens, etc. so pick vendors who have worked there before.  Also, if you are the kind of bride that isn’t the Type A, organized, do the details yourself kind of bride like me, then this may not be the place for you. 

Capdeboscq: A+  This family owned caterer has been in business for over 40 years for good reason.  They know how to do weddings.  Everyone raved about our food.  The prices our great, although we did pay extra to get real china and glassware instead of acrylic. The attendant pulled us aside to give us food, had us in the right places for the cake cutting, first dance, etc, and lit the candles on my tables.  She even found me a pair of sciccors when I wanted to cut the inside layer of my dress out because I was tripping on it.  I highly recommend them.

Lagniappe Brass Band: C+  They played our second line from the church to the reception.  They were lively and played good music.  They showed up on time and did everything a brass band should except that they took off without the bride and groom.  Apperently they realized their mistake a few blocks down and turned around and were there when my husband and I made our grand exit from the church, but still how do you forget the bride and groom? 

Something Blue Band: A+  They were the band at my wedding.  They were a variety style band.  Think “Sweet Caroline” and “Don’t Stop Believin.”  The woman singer was incredible and everyone had a good time.  If you are the younger set and want covers of Ludacris and Black Eyed Peas they may not be for you, but we enjoyed them.  They were from Baton Rouge and one of the few bands that didn’t want to jack up the prices because I was getting married on a Jazz Fest weekend. 

Haydels: A  Typical wedding cake.  I had four tiers.  Two tiers were red velvet and two were almond.  Our groom’s cake was chocolate. All were good and we had no complaints.

Nicolls Limousine: A  We used one limousine to pick up the groomsmen from the hotel and bring them to the church and then turn around and pick up the bridesmaids and bride.  It was all of $160 I think and they were on time and courteous.  The limo was clean.  No complaints.

Bike Taxi Unlimited:  A  We had two pedicabs waiting to bring some of our elderly guests during our second line.  They showed up on time and the guests enjoyed them.  It was kind of expensive at $50 apiece for an hour rental.   

Flawless Bride:  A+  At first had some trouble getting a signed copy of the contract back from them, but Heather was great on the day of my trial and wedding.  She showed up right on time and had my four bridesmaid’s hair done in no time.  They all loved it.  She did my hair and make-up.  Everyone complimented me on my make-up and told me I looked like Kate Middleton that night. 

Sabree Hill: A+++  She was my photographer for my engagements, bridals and wedding.  I loved, loved loved my photos.  Bonus because she is so reasonably priced.  I wanted a picture in front of a streetcar and she almost got hit by a car laying in the street so she could get it for me.  She was great.  I highly highly recommend her.

Bob Eutsler Productions:  B-  Videograpahy was a last minute add on for me.   I wanted someone reasonably priced and I wanted a highlight video that wasn’t cheesy and was in chronological order.  I hate the videos that skip around between vows and cake cutting and back and forth.  He also said that he doesn’t edit the ceremony in your long video.  I liked that.  I haven’t seen it but I’m sure it will be fine.  The only thing that bugs me is that he was standing in front of my husband in the middle of the aisle with a big light while I was walking down it!  I was looking forward to seeing my husband’s face for the first time as he saw me, but all I could see was him standing on his toes trying to see around the videographer. Bummer! 

Hilton Riverside: A  My husband and I both had parlor suites to get ready in and they were big and nice and great for taking pictures.  My hotel block was also in this hotel and they were nice setting everything up.  Once again, this came down to money for us.  Since we got married on a Jazz Fest weekend most hotels were requiring 3 or 4 night stays.  The Hilton let us have room blocks with only Saturday night stays. 

Le Grand Florist: C-  Flowers were not a huge concern for me, but we live in Gretna so we wanted to support a local florist.  I asked that all the flowers be delivered to my suite and I’m glad I did as they were not what I wanted or asked for.  I specifically stated that I did not want any greenery in my bouquet.  The woman responded that she knew that but she felt it was missing something!  I just ripped all the greenery out.  My husband wanted simple white rose corsages.  They had ugly baby’s breath and a banana leaf looking thing.  We sat there and cut all those off too.  Everything turned out ok.  I was just not pleased, because it was specifically not what I had articulated to them.  They did give me a free toss bouquet and a free fake bouquet to use for my bridals, however.    

Event Rental: A  We used them for linens.  Their warehouse is in Gretna so I just picked them up on Friday and my husband returned them on Monday.  We had no problems and I was not about to spend an extra $200 on a delivery fee.

I had a wonderful wedding and the weather was perfect.  I also did everything myself without a coordinator and several of my vendors told me it was the most organized wedding they had ever seen.  My advice: don’t waste money on a coordinator but do provide your vendors with a timeline of your day.  They were grateful for it.  Also, make sure that your getting ready suite is clean when your photographer gets there.  Don’t let your bridesmaids throw their stuff everywhere and set up your dress, veil, something borrowed, blue, etc. and invitation suite how you would like your photographer to photograph them so they can do that while you finish getting ready.  Don’t waste any precious time on your wedding day!

imageimageimage

Re: Vendor Reviews 5/3/14

• E71126E71126 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    Congrats! I am using Capdeposcq for my wedding next week! Glad to hear you liked them! What were your favorite items?
  • Thanks for the helpful reviews!  You look beautiful.  Where did you get your dress?
  • E71126: I liked the Shrimp Chardonnay as an appetizer.  I can't really remember what else we chose.  We also chose the seafood gumbo which we ate for a few days after the wedding and it was amazing.  We also had the crawfish monica and the debris roast beef.  It was all good.  We didn't get to taste the roast turkey, but I heard compliments about it.  
  • Ver0nika20: I actually got it at Bridal Boutique Off the Rack in Baton Rouge.  It is an entire store of sample sales.  The dress was only $250 and the lace overlay was only $90.  If you are a size 6, 8 or 10 and can wear a bridal size 8, 10, or 12 (or around that) you should definitely check it out. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards