Illinois-Chicago

Hair and makeup without minimums?

Hi ladies!

I'm looking for someone to do my hair and makeup for my wedding next May. We're having an Indian wedding so I'm trying to find someone for hair and makeup for various events over 2 days. Almost everyone I've contacted has minimum service requirements, but I'm looking for someone who is willing to come out for 1-2 people. Does anyone have suggestions for a good/highly rated artist who doesn't have minimums? I understand that their rate would probably be higher for a 'bride only' service or even for a couple of people which I'm prepared for. I live out of state and have spent a lot of time searching the web, emailing and calling vendors but haven't had much luck. I'm trying to find someone soon so that I can set up a trial when I visit Chicago at the end of the month. If anyone has any suggestions....please let me know!! :)

Re: Hair and makeup without minimums?

• KayDeeeKayDeee member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited July 2014
    The woman who cuts and colors my hair also does hair for weddings, she works in tandem with another women who does make-up. They are both great.  They did not require a  minimum for my wedding, but that may have been because we had 2 adults for hair, bride for make-up and a couple of flower girls who needed their hair done. Anyway, her name is Ann she has her own salon: Salon Moxie out of the suburbs but works in the city as well for events. Very easy to work with, you can always try and give her a call and see if she can make something work for you: (630) 815-2342.

Before I mentioned it to her I was having the hardest time finding someone too, so I know how frustrating it can be,  I wish you luck!

• Thank you so much!! I should have also mentioned that my mother is willing to have her hair/makeup done with me so I could possibly have a total of two adults..also I managed to find an artist - Andie Cumber who is ok with doing a small party. But I'd like to have a couple of options, and I'm still looking for a hair stylist. But thanks again and any other suggestions would be really appreciated :)
  • Honestly, I'm surprised to hear you had trouble. My regular stylist is doing mine; I scheduled myself and a BM with her and the other two BMs with another stylist for my wedding day. You didn't indicate where you'll be in Chicago or even suburbs, so take my recommendation with a grain of salt :) I've been going to Colin of London on Oak Street in Chicago (it's right off the northern end of Michigan Ave). Try them.

• I do agree with you...however I'm reluctant to contact people who have low ratings online or who don't have any reviews (on other more objective websites like yelp...I've noticed that weddingwire has 5 star reviews for pretty much everyone), mostly because I'm not in Chicago and can't afford to meet with multiple vendors before deciding, so that's limited my options. Thanks for the recommendation, I'll check them out :)
  • Good point. Just FYI, Colin of London did a promotion YEARS ago with some outside marketing firm and it didn't go well. Yelp isn't highlighting more recent or more positive reviews from clients who are faithful/happy. What's great about them is that they're a very "basic" location and I know they have low overhead. There are two stylists in particular that are awesome, Gabby and Paul, and I swear you'll pay far less there than at a fancy-schmancy downtown salon (been there, done that!).

• Thanks for the advice! I agree about the reviews...but about 23 out of their 37 reviews are 1 or 2 stars, that being said I saw that everyone said great things about Paul! :) Do they do makeup as well as hair?
  • They do not do makeup, but I know they have connections :)  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards