Just Engaged and Proposals

Wedding in moderation.

I've been engaged for a week. Tonight we went out on a dinner date. He came by, and picked me up! I don't want this engagement to be totally about the wedding. I'm making an effort to have some time that we don't talk about the wedding at all. I still want to keep the reason why I'm marring this guy! I got a little scared cause for the most part we didn't really have much to talk about. I mean, this whole past week has been all about the wedding. I go to work, then I go home flipping through wedding magazines and scanning through my wedding board on Pinterest. (Of course the one I made before I got. lol.) So, my question really is, how can I still have the non-wedding time go well with my fiancé, when my life is now all about the wedding. 

Re: Wedding in moderation.

• Non-wedding subjects:  sports, work, national and international news, current films, goals for your married life (house, children, travel?).
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • What did you talk about before you got engaged?
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • We hardly ever talk about the wedding. I will tell him "I have my fitting today" and he says "cool, what's for dinner?". We go hiking, we go to dinner, we go shopping and we never talk about the wedding. We talk about what's going on at work, what's going on with our friends/ family, our next vacation plans, fixing up the house plans, etc. It's fine to be excited about your wedding but don't let it take over your life. 

• I agree with all of the above, but you can also talk about your plans after the wedding. Kids, etc.
  • It's pretty normal for that to be most of what is on your mind the first week. My fiancé and I talked a lot more about the honeymoon though because travel is a huge hobby for both of us ;)

It's sometimes hard to talk about things other than what you're thinking about so why not distract yourself with other activities? Go on a hike, bike, or run together, watch a movie or something.
  • If that's a concern, don't go on dinner dates. All you do there is talk about what's on your mind, which is wedding right now. Go on a rock climbing or kayaking date. Maybe take a cooking class. I like going to Dave and Busters to play games now and then.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards