Just Engaged and Proposals

Engagement Party Guest List

My fiance's parents are throwing us an engagement party next month and we are planning on asking our wedding party to be our BMs/GM at the party with gifts. That being said, is it ok to invite friends that are not being asked to be in the wedding party or will they feel left out or awkward? My fiance's groomsmen will all be friends, where my bridesmaids are all family so I wanted a few close girlfriends there as well. Please help!

Re: Engagement Party Guest List

• My fiance's parents are throwing us an engagement party next month and we are planning on asking our wedding party to be our BMs/GM at the party with gifts. That being said, is it ok to invite friends that are not being asked to be in the wedding party or will they feel left out or awkward? My fiance's groomsmen will all be friends, where my bridesmaids are all family so I wanted a few close girlfriends there as well. Please help!
    So I see a few issues with this plan:

1. When is your wedding date? If you're planning on a long engagement, wait a bit to ask everyone. Drama happens, friendships change, etc.

2. Handing gifts over and asking publicly could make it really hard for anyone to decline being a bridesmaid or groomsman (for whatever reason). That's a ton of pressure.  

3. Like you said, I think it could be incredibly awkward to publicly ask some friends and not others. 

I'd say, hold off on asking for a bit. Just enjoy your engagement party. When the time comes to ask your wedding party, just keep it personal and meaningful.
  • That is very good advice! Thank you PDKH! 
  • I would ask each person in private. It is better that way. One of my BM is 50/50 about whether or not she will actually be able to make it to the wedding and asking her in public would have be embarrassing for her. I say invited everyone to the party and worry about the WP choosing later.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards