Wedding Photography and Videography Forum

First Look or No?

I would really love to go the traditional route and not have a first look before the ceremony, but here are my concerns:
-The ceremony and dinner are one hour apart. I'm not sure if this is enough time for group pictures.
-The ceremony area will be rearranged into the dance area during the cocktail hour/dinner, so there will be little room to actually take pictures.
-The wedding is in December, so there's not much we could do outside. Plus it will get dark out quite early.
Is this something that can be done or not? Could we take some pictures before the ceremony by ourselves, and have our pictures taken after the ceremony? I'm starting to accept the fact that this might be too risky, but I would love input and suggestions. How much time should we allow for photos? If we did all pictures before the wedding, how much time should we allow? Both families are fairly small. Any guidance is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Re: First Look or No?

• edited July 2014
    I would really love to go the traditional route and not have a first look before the ceremony, but here are my concerns:
    -The ceremony and dinner are one hour apart. I'm not sure if this is enough time for group pictures.
    -The ceremony area will be rearranged into the dance area during the cocktail hour/dinner, so there will be little room to actually take pictures.
    -The wedding is in December, so there's not much we could do outside. Plus it will get dark out quite early.
    Is this something that can be done or not? Could we take some pictures before the ceremony by ourselves, and have our pictures taken after the ceremony? I'm starting to accept the fact that this might be too risky, but I would love input and suggestions. How much time should we allow for photos? If we did all pictures before the wedding, how much time should we allow? Both families are fairly small. Any guidance is greatly appreciated! Thanks!
    Based on your situation I would definitely recommend doing a first look.
    My additional concern would be your guests getting in the way of your photos. The staff has to flip the room, you need to take photos and your guests will hopefully be at cocktail hour in a another room, but they still may mill about.

There are several recent threads on the pros and cons of doing a first look.
    I am very in favor of them. 
    -I prefer seeing the reaction of the B&G in one photo. The groom will still be moved by the moment of you walking down the aisle, a first look won't change how he feels about you. -He's not looking at the dress, he's excited to see you coming down the aisle to marry him - having seen you an hour before isn't going to change that emotion.
    -It will save a LOT of time. You can go to cocktail hour and enjoy the yummy appetizers! You can spend more time talking to your guests, freeing yourself up to party on the dance floor more after dinner.
    -You can have a comprehensive photo shoot with FI at multiple locations if you want.
    -If clams your nerves and gives you some special time alone on an otherwise busy day.
    -You can have the bridal party and family photos done just before the ceremony. Everyone can be there a little early and then your parents are free to greet the guests at cocktail hour and be good hosts.

It sounds like you will have a lot going on logistically after the wedding. I would do a first look to reduce stress and increase the chance of great photos. But that's JMHO

GL! :)

ETA - DH & I went and took photos together for about 2.5 hours, just relaxing and having fun.
    Then we reserved an hour for family photos. We did not have a wedding party, but have large family, so it was about the same as having a wedding party.
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• Thank you so much for the information! That really helps. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards