Wedding Woes

I need encouragement. Everything makes me freak out and cry - so much guilt and no one cares!

penguinpoppenguinpop member
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its
edited July 2014 in Wedding Woes
FI and I have been engaged for 7 years. SEVEN. 

Initially it was all on me to plan the wedding. my mom said I could not hire a planner (she and my dad are footing the bill). I got so stressed out that I just said I couldnt do it so I stopped the planning process and put everything on hold. I realized about 3 years ago that if I dont plan this, it will never happen. No one has offered to help at all, but I find all of this so stressful, I just freak out and cry. I cant make decisions, and everything seems too expensive, too difficult, or just not right for me or what I want. 

I found a venue that I LOVED in Hawaii, and my mom said absolutely not, and my grandma scolded me for not thinking about how this would be hard for her to go there. My brother said he couldnt afford to go to hawaii with his family and everyone thought I was being too selfish. I suddenly I stopped being excited about getting married because it was all about what everyone else wanted me to do, and no one seemed to care what I wanted. Whenever I expressed something that I wanted, I was called selfish, no matter how reasonable I tried to be. Ever since then. I cant find a venue that I like. Everything seems not ideal. 

I decided I wanted to Elope - make it easier on everyone, but FI is insisting we invite our families to our "elopement" which suddenly turns it into a much bigger deal and then the stress comes pouring in again. Where do we elope? what do I wear? Trying to decide on a dress makes me cry. All the bridal shops tell me to buy mine 8 months in advance, so then I worry that I wont like the dress in 8 months, and then what do I wear if I want to elope next month (what FI wants to do)? I went dress shopping with my mom and I found a huge poofy dress I loved, but my mom said it was inappropriate for a small wedding and too expensive considering only a handful of people might be there. She said if it was a bigger wedding she would buy it for me, but it didnt make sense to spend so much on a huge dress that no one will see. Then I feel guilty for wanting a dress at all and it's back to the drawing board to find something else that's more fitting for a small ceremony. 

FI has suggested we either plan a wedding in Las Vegas or southern California (where we live) but I hate both suggestions. This area is so full of bad memories for me I cant imagine marrying here. I want to move out of state desperately because I cant stand living here, and it's been a source of stress int my relationship. We have a drought so everything is dead and brown and I cant breathe outside because it's really smoggy (I have breathing problems) I also hate hate hate las vegas. The hotels are full of cigarette smoke and I have trouble breathing there. He and I both have a business trip there next month so he thinks we can just call up my parents before we go on the business trip and ask them to meet us there and we get married, but that seems really awful to do to us (we have to work!) and to my parents (who wont be able to see us after the wedding because we have to work!). That's what I want for my wedding - go on a business trip to Las Vegas, go to work during the day and get married at night and then back to work! Just thinking about this stresses me out so badly I want to crumple up and cry. 

Why couldnt we have just gotten married already? everyone calls him my boyfriend and it's just way too far past when we should have married already. I also think about eloping and then I read about everyone else's beautiful ceremony and engagement party, and bridal shower and gifts and the whole family there, and I feel awful because I wont have that experience that everyone else seems to have, but planning that experience with it all on me is too overwhelming, and then I start to feel guilty about the idea that my parents have to pay for it and they have expressed to me that they cant retire because they dont have enough money. 

I need advice and encouragement. I dont have many friends and none of them are married and no one seems to understand what I'm going through.

Re: I need encouragement. Everything makes me freak out and cry - so much guilt and no one cares!

• 1.  In 7 years you haven't saved enough to hire a planner to do all of this for you?

2.  Do you stress this hard about anything else in life?  It's time to see a doctor.

3.  Destination weddings ARE selfish of the bride and groom, but if that's what you want, do it.  Just realize that there will be a lot of people who won't be able to attend.  You just have to decide if you love the venue more than you want the guests there.

4.  Quit worrying about what other people think about how you should be married.  Do what makes you happy.

BUT MOST IMPORTANTLY - get on the same page with your FI.  You hate where you live and you aren't on board with his wedding plans.  Figure that stuff out before planning anything.
    1. It's your wedding.  Do what you (and FI) want.  Pay for it yourselves so you don't have to deal with everyone else's opinions.
    2. Speaking of FI, if it's so important to him that your families be there for your "small elopement," then he can plan it.  Or at least contribute a serious amount of time and effort.
    3. Nothing is ever going to be ideal for everyone, and no one is ever going to like all of your choices.  So what?  See #1.
    4. I don't mean this in a snarky way, but there seem to be some bigger issues here:  you trying to please everyone, you and FI not being able to find a compromise that feels right for both of you.  If you focus on addressing that, then I predict you'll gain a lot of clarity on these other issues.
  • MegEn1MegEn1 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    Stop taking money from your parents. When my grandmother had a health scare a few weeks ago and we thought we were going to have to move up the wedding by a year, things suddenly became a lot easier. We suddenly had less than half the money we planned, and that limitation actually gave us a whole bunch of freedom. Ceremony at the temple and a reception at a restaurant. With those limitations, we realized what was REALLY important to us, and that was me having a fairly pretty dress, a photographer, and that's about it. 

Granted, Grandma is now fine and we're going ahead with the full to-do because we don't want to inconvenience people by asking them to plan and fly out three months from now. But honestly? We were both kind of sad when we realized that. Not sad that grandma is fine, but sad that we have to wait another year to get married in order to have all the friends and family there.

Bottom line is pick what is most important to you and make it so. If FI wants something different, work with him on a plan to make it possible. Also, realize that you won't get everything that you want, but make sure you know what IS really important to you. 

Achievement Unlocked: Survived Your Wedding! 
  • You are putting a lot of pressure on yourself. I think repeating this phrase might help: "No wedding is perfect".

Create a "to-do" checklist, establish a budget, and determine how large/small of a wedding you and FI want to have. Those are the first steps. Then follow your "to-do" list. Try not to skip ahead. One thing at a time.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• I agree with tawillers. If this is more than a wedding stress trend, look into getting some counseling. It's the best gift you can give yourself. You deserve to be happy, And it might offer so e perspective.
  • Counseling counseling counseling. It sounds like you're crippling yourself with anxiety. That's why it's so hard to make decisions. You're paralyzing yourself stressing and overthinking.

Amazingly enough, there are some meds that can often make that horrible can't breathe sickening anxiety disappear almost overnight. (Celexa was a miracle for me.) it doesn't replace counseling, but it makes life bearable while you work on things.

And yes, Southern California sucks. Agreed. For all the reasons you mentioned. And you could go to Portland or Seattle or wherever and everything is pretty and green, but you would still have anxiety, and the rain and gray would start to depress you and give you anxiety. Wherever you go, your ass is behind you.
    Counseling. Truly. 
  • I'm sorry this is giving you such anxiety.  You ask why you couldn't have gotten married by now...it's because you haven't pulled the trigger so I wouldn't piss and moan about it.  That's all there is to it.  Pull up those bootstraps and get-er-done, right?  I know it's never that easy, however there are things you can do to help with this. 

The Knot has tools that can help you plan, like budget calculators and checklists organized by timelines.  Don't get bogged down with the details.  

Get some counselling to get to the bottom of what is causing all this stress.  Is it the pressure of trying to make everyone happy?  Is it anxiety about getting married in general?  

ohannabelle is right: it doesn't matter where you go and live, you will have this shadow right behind you.  You have to do what is best for YOU and your FI.  Sit down and draw up a plan.  Small local ceremony?  Destination wedding?  The courthouse?  Find something you want to do.

• I'm sorry this is giving you such anxiety.  You ask why you couldn't have gotten married by now...it's because you haven't pulled the trigger so I wouldn't piss and moan about it.  That's all there is to it.  Pull up those bootstraps and get-er-done, right?  I know it's never that easy, however there are things you can do to help with this. 

The Knot has tools that can help you plan, like budget calculators and checklists organized by timelines.  Don't get bogged down with the details.  

Get some counselling to get to the bottom of what is causing all this stress.  Is it the pressure of trying to make everyone happy?  Is it anxiety about getting married in general?  

ohannabelle is right: it doesn't matter where you go and live, you will have this shadow right behind you.  You have to do what is best for YOU and your FI.  Sit down and draw up a plan.  Small local ceremony?  Destination wedding?  The courthouse?  Find something you want to do.

BUT DON'T EVER USE THE KNOT TOOLS THAT YOU WILL DEPEND ON, LIKE GUESTLIST.  You will be better off with an excel spreadsheet.  Trust me.  We get brides coming here all the time complaining that it doesn't work.  
  • tawillers said:
    I'm sorry this is giving you such anxiety.  You ask why you couldn't have gotten married by now...it's because you haven't pulled the trigger so I wouldn't piss and moan about it.  That's all there is to it.  Pull up those bootstraps and get-er-done, right?  I know it's never that easy, however there are things you can do to help with this. 

BUT DON'T EVER USE THE KNOT TOOLS THAT YOU WILL DEPEND ON, LIKE GUESTLIST.  You will be better off with an excel spreadsheet.  Trust me.  We get brides coming here all the time complaining that it doesn't work.  

**************SITB, Seriously TK---- stop with Box Purgatory....******************

I heard about TK eating the guest lists!  Some people use Google Docs and an Excel file.  I'm seriously going to back up my guest list when I get home (it's on an Excel file, but I'm going to put it in Google Docs to be safe.)

I just use the budget calculator and the checklists on here

• First of all, let me say that I'm sorry you are dealing with all this anxiety. Really, truly sorry. It sounds AWFUL. And I completely get it, because while my family is being a little less difficult, I recognize that indecision paralysis and there are definitely moments where sheer PANIC has taken over and I have not exactly acted my age. 

Even getting married where FI and I live at the moment is a destination wedding for my family, and you can bet I'm getting (mostly sneaky and subtle) guilt for it, but our venue is important to us personally and religiously and for his family it's local -- so how do you win? 

Taking money from your family does complicate things, and as others have said, if you're able to give that offer back to them, that will probably help. I understand if you can't. FI has crippling student loans, we're both fresh out of grad school and we didn't anticipate how much a fairly-basic wedding would cost us -- so yes, my parents are contributing half the (relatively small) budget, and yes it's created complications, but it's either that or be unable to throw a wedding that (a) we would enjoy and (b) that would be 'good' enough entertainment to warrant our relatives traveling a distance (yup, guilt argument that's been employed). 

The thing that has helped enormously with my stress is: YES, talk to your FI about this. The two families are probably going to have different expectations that will affect the both of you to different degrees, so it is really important you are on the same page and emotionally supportive of each other. That way, at the very least, when you're trying to fend off the guilt or whatever from your family, FI is there to support you instead of undermining you or adding to it. I bought a planner with worksheets designed to be filled out together, and while he drags his feet it's been an opportunity for us to sit down and try to really focus on thinking out what we want together, what's negotiable, and then helping each other understand what our families bring to the table in terms of drama or complications.  So when my mom calls up and makes some ridiculous demand, instead of crumpling, I count to ten, call FI, and we talk through it and deal with it together. 

Finally, on the note of online planning tools -- I haven't tried the Knot tools. I have not found the Knot app to be very helpful at all (very much the opposite, actually).  But I do highly recommend using a Google account if you are able. We created a special one for the wedding that we both have access to. It's a safe dumping ground for all our e-mail offers and communication with vendors that we can both read; we can use the attached Google Calendar to note any vendor meetings or other appointments and dates; and Google Drive is a godsend for things like trying to write a guest list together. Google actually has its own suite of wedding planning tools, including a gorgeous multi-tab spreadsheet that is already set-up with almost everything you need: https://www.google.com/weddings/.  Highly recommended! 
  • I haven't read through all the replies on this, but I just wanted to comment and say I relate. I gave myself 14 months to plan and save and it's still totally stressful. With less than 3 months to go, I've spent the last few days sobbing myself to sleep. Some of us just don't handle stress well.

What I try to do is focus a lot on the stuff I enjoy, and dole out tasks I feel overwhelmed by to those who want to help (mom, fiance etc). I really enjoyed picking out our music and finding poetry/readings for the ceremony. Just focus on the part of planning that you enjoy doing.

Also, if you are on Pinterest, just step away. I get really overwhelmed by all the beautiful weddings on there and feel down that mine won't look like that. But the most important thing is the love you have with your fiance and just celebrating that and having fun with friends and family.

It's your wedding, but trust me, I don't think you'll be happy if the people you love can't be a part of it. Just take it step by step and don't get overwhelmed. The beauty of not hiring a wedding planner is you get the full wedding planning experience- good and bad. Everything will be OKAY! Don't worry about a thing. You're marrying the love of your life and omg how amazing is that? Everything will come together. You'll see.
  • I am having a destination wedding with just fiance and I at a Sandals resort in Jamaica. We are lucky enough that all of our family members support us and want us to do what makes us happy. We will be having a celebration of our marriage upon our return. Do what makes you happy. When I first started planning I kept trying to plan a traditional wedding, and got so much input from everyone else. You cannot make everyone happy and I found myself constantly in tears. 
    <Br>
    So I finally considered destination weddings which is something I have never dreamed of in my life. We are going to in all inclusive resort. I have chosen all of my necessary items and everything else is done for me. 
    <Br>
    If you want your family to be there, you need to talk to them and decide what makes you happy. Regardless of what you decide it is your wedding. I have learned that everyone has different opinions and that you will not get total agreement on everything. Have the wedding you want to have.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I am having a destination wedding with just fiance and I at a Sandals resort in Jamaica. We are lucky enough that all of our family members support us and want us to do what makes us happy. We will be having a celebration of our marriage upon our return. Do what makes you happy. When I first started planning I kept trying to plan a traditional wedding, and got so much input from everyone else. You cannot make everyone happy and I found myself constantly in tears. 
    <Br>
    So I finally considered destination weddings which is something I have never dreamed of in my life. We are going to in all inclusive resort. I have chosen all of my necessary items and everything else is done for me. 
    <Br>
    If you want your family to be there, you need to talk to them and decide what makes you happy. Regardless of what you decide it is your wedding. I have learned that everyone has different opinions and that you will not get total agreement on everything. Have the wedding you want to have.
    I have a friend/former co-worker who did the same thing ~6 years ago (Sandals, Jamaica, just the 2 of them) - and they had a blast. It wasn't an "elopement" as they gave everyone advance notice, and some of the family was a little upset, but they got over it. They didn't have a "reception" when they got back, although we did throw her a shower, beforehand, at work. 

OP - you really need to see a counselor or a psychiatrist - it sounds like your issues are much deeper than planning a party - because ultimately, that's what a wedding is. You also need to pay for it yourselves, unless you're willing to accept your parents' strings. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards