• Images
  • Text
  • Find a Couple + Registry
GO
Wedding Hair and Beauty

Hair trial etiquette

Hi.  I have asked my fiancé's older sister to do my hair for our ceremony.  She lives far away and I will be unable to meet with her for trial run.  Is it rude of me to ask my stylist who cuts and colors my hair to try a couple of styles out, and then not hire her? Or should I find a different salon to try out some styles?  FI's sister has been doing hair for MANY years so I trust that she can do whatever I show her a picture of, but I still want to see my hair done so I can decide what I like best.  Asking future SIL to do it is my way of making her an important part of our day, and that is important to me. 

Re: Hair trial etiquette

• dgirl322 said:
    Hi.  I have asked my fiancé's older sister to do my hair for our ceremony.  She lives far away and I will be unable to meet with her for trial run.  Is it rude of me to ask my stylist who cuts and colors my hair to try a couple of styles out, and then not hire her? Or should I find a different salon to try out some styles?  FI's sister has been doing hair for MANY years so I trust that she can do whatever I show her a picture of, but I still want to see my hair done so I can decide what I like best.  Asking future SIL to do it is my way of making her an important part of our day, and that is important to me. 
    I don't think it's necessarily rude since you would still be paying for their services.

But I think it could be a waste of your time and money. The idea of a trial is partly to get an idea of what you want your hair to look like, but it's also (and almost more importantly) a chance for you to get a feel for the stylists' work and work with her to get the style you want for the wedding day. My stylist spent a ton of time on my trial, made a lot of little changes for the details, took a bazillion pictures of my trial, and then replicated the look on our wedding day.

I don't know; I personally wouldn't want to shell out a bunch of money for a trial and then still not know how my hair would turn out. Can you ask FSIL if she'll be around the day before the wedding to do a rough run? Or even just consult her on hairstyles/trial process to see what she says?
  • dgirl322dgirl322 member
    Third Anniversary 10 Comments
    edited July 2014
    hmmmmm..... You make a very good point.  She'll be here a day or 2 before the ceremony but I'm afraid there may be too much going on.  (and then there's part of me that just wants the experience....)  I know this is TMI but 3 of my 5 bridesmaids are out of state, 1 of them is 4 hrs away,  I'm an "older" (40) 1st time bride. FI's 1st wedding also.  There are a lot of "experiences" that I'll be "missing out" on that I've always dreamed of because everyone is so far away: dress shopping in person with my girls, possibly a bridal shower and such, I don't want to miss out on another exciting thing (for me picking my hairstyle is exciting.... lol)  Now Im even more confused.... lol  thank you for your response!  You made a VERY good and important point.  
  • Hey I understand. All of my bridesmaids were out of state (though they managed to squeeze in a shower for me - I flew in for it).

And of course picking a hairstyle is exciting! I was super pumped for my trial. If you have the money and want to just go get purtied up for fun and play bride, go for it!

But I'd worry it wouldn't be super helpful for FSIL so I'd just contact her and ask what she thinks the best thing to do would be - whether that's getting a trial so she can see someone else's work on your hair to replicate or if she thinks she could do a trial for you a couple days out.
  • Great advice. Thank you so much!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards