Military Brides

Engagement Picture Planning

Hello!

I am starting to think about what to wear for our engagement pictures. I want my FI to wear his ACU's for one outfit and I'm trying to decide what to wear. I know I have to match the 'formalness". but I just have a hard time picking something! :) 

Anyone have any suggestions or personal experiances to share?

Thank you!

Re: Engagement Picture Planning

• kyrgyzstankyrgyzstan member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited April 2013
    What do you generally wear to work? That would technically match the formality, lol. 

I'm pretty against wearing a work or combat uniform in fancy pictures. That's just not what they're for. People die in those uniforms. My H chose to wear his service uniform that's auth'd for liberty wear in ours and they look great, I wore a dress and heels. 
    I hate Dave Ramsey
  • I'm not a big fan of E pics in the duty uniform either.  If you were marrying a machanic, he wouldn't dress in his cover alls.  If he was a doctor, he probably wouldn't wear his white coat.  With ACUs it's even more odd for me.  Being a vet, I see them from the soldier side.  We go to battle and fight in that uniform.  People died in that uniform.  My husband was shot in that uniform.  It just doesn't say pretty photo op for me.  

Like Stan said, if you really want him to wear it and he's ok with it, you would wear business atire.  Please don't forget uniform regulations.  He must wear his cover if he's outside.  His uniform is not your uniform, please do not wear any of it.  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • kyrgyzstankyrgyzstan member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited April 2013
    Tx, our e photographer (so not JL) asked me to put H's garrison cover on. H burst out laughing, and I gave a whole speech about why I would never. "Uniforms are not costumes. They're earned. Etc." My e photog was a Navy spouse! :'
    I hate Dave Ramsey
  • allied08allied08 member
    First Comment
    edited April 2013
    I completley understand the rules and regulations with the uniform. I would never put on an article of his uniform. I gave my FI the option between ACU's and his dress blues and he chose ACU's.

I don't plan on using any of the pictures of him in his ACU's for any wedding purpose, I just want to have some photos of us and I am using the engagement session as a platform. We are having a friend take our pictures so it's no big deal to add on more pictures. 
  • What about the ASU's?  That seems like a more appropriate choice for having professional pictures taken than ACU's.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_engagement-picture-planning?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:7120be56-08ad-4591-b76a-024eeb7fd111Post:e56dd861-8fa4-4db9-9bee-1b46abb9f1d9">Re:Engagement Picture Planning</a>:
    [QUOTE]Tx, our e photographer (so not JL) asked me to put H's garrison cover on. H burst out laughing, and I gave a whole speech about why I would never. "Uniforms are not costumes. They're earned. Etc." My e photog was a Navy spouse! :'
    Posted by WishIcouldbeinthe'stan[/QUOTE]
    Love your response!  She should have known better.  
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_engagement-picture-planning?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:7120be56-08ad-4591-b76a-024eeb7fd111Post:706c36a9-2b07-4405-bf6d-831c0a0a572a">Re: Engagement Picture Planning</a>:
    [QUOTE]What about the ASU's?  That seems like a more appropriate choice for having professional pictures taken than ACU's.
    Posted by Sammy0709[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>I gave my FI the choice and he chose his ACUs. 

</div>
  • I'm just currious, how long has he been in the Army?
  • In Response to Re:Engagement Picture Planning:[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Engagement Picture Planning:What about the ASU's? nbsp;That seems like a more appropriate choice for having professional pictures taken than ACU's.Posted by Sammy0709I gave my FI the choice and he chose his ACUs.nbsp; Posted by allied08[/QUOTE]

You said you gave him the choice between DB's and ACU's. ASU's are neither of those. That's why I asked. Honestly, I wouldn't have given DH the choice of a cammie uniform but he wouldn't have picked it anyway.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_engagement-picture-planning?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:7120be56-08ad-4591-b76a-024eeb7fd111Post:d52b363f-154a-462f-8c66-e1887b9513e3">Re:Engagement Picture Planning</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re:Engagement Picture Planning: You said you gave him the choice between DB's and ACU's. ASU's are neither of those. That's why I asked. Honestly, I wouldn't have given DH the choice of a cammie uniform but he wouldn't have picked it anyway.
    Posted by Sammy0709[/QUOTE]
     That's why I asked how long he's been in.  He sounds new-ish.  
  • allied08allied08 member
    First Comment
    edited April 2013
    My fiance has been in the National Guard for 3 years, so yes we are still fairly new to this.

I really just wanted suggestions on what outfit would look good with my fiance in his ACU's, not criticism about my coice to have pictures taken with him in uniform. 

I understand the regulations for wearing a uniform and I would never violate that, or make him do anything against the rules. I just want some nice pictures of him in uniform because he will not be wearing one for our wedding. 

Thank you.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_engagement-picture-planning?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:7120be56-08ad-4591-b76a-024eeb7fd111Post:03c121df-99b1-4b86-9b80-30e03b925e4b">Re: Engagement Picture Planning</a>:
    [QUOTE]I understand the regulations for wearing a uniform and I would never violate that, or make him do anything against the rules. 
    Posted by allied08[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Funny you should say that...</div><div>
    </div><div><strong style="color:#ffffff;font-family:'Times New Roman';font-size:medium;line-height:normal;background-color:#221e0d;"><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">THE ACU IS ISSUED AS A COMBAT UNIFORM AND IS NOT INTENDED FOR WEAR AS AN ALL-PURPOSE UNIFORM WHEN OTHER UNIFORMS (CLASS A OR B, DRESS, AND MESS UNIFORM) ARE MORE APPROPRIATE.</font></strong>

</div>
    I hate Dave Ramsey

• Those would all make sense to wear with his ACUs. Do you see how silly this is? You really want to know what goes nicely with ACUs? Other ACUs. And dirt, rocks, and brush. 
    I hate Dave Ramsey
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_engagement-picture-planning?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:7120be56-08ad-4591-b76a-024eeb7fd111Post:288fb5ec-be42-40b8-8619-f989abb4241b">Engagement Picture Planning</a>:
    [QUOTE]I want my FI to wear his ACU's for one outfit 
    Posted by allied08[/QUOTE]

<div>In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_engagement-picture-planning?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:7120be56-08ad-4591-b76a-024eeb7fd111Post:82e37e8b-5579-4f2b-a95a-ec159e726285">Re: Engagement Picture Planning</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Engagement Picture Planning : I gave my FI the choice and he chose his ACUs. 
    Posted by allied08[/QUOTE]
    </div><div>
    </div><div>So which was it?</div>
    I hate Dave Ramsey
  • dtfarra2dtfarra2 member
    First Comment
    edited April 2013
    Guys stop hating on her! You wonder why marriges fail when their spouse is over seas it is because of this, older wives hating and trying to 'straighten out' the new wives, we rely on you when we need help but when you act like this we want nothing to do with you. We are excited about things, and yeah you may not think it aproprite but guess what, not your wedding not your engagement shoot, and remember the words that your parents taught you if you cant say something nice then dont say anything at all!

As the fiancee of someone in the military we thought about doing it for our engagement shoot but instead we ended up doing a formal in civilan clothes and a few 'cute' photos in his ACUs with him doing a push up kiss and such. I would suggest an informal sundress is a cream or green color if you want to go matchy otherwise any informal dress would work. 

If you want to wear any piece of his uniform (Jacket or cover) take off everything but his name tape in the pictures. Same goes for if you ever do a newborn or maternity shoot with them, for a down the road thought, and that information comes from the wife of my fiance's Sergent Major.
  • In Response to Re:Engagement Picture Planning:[QUOTE]Guys stop hating on her! You wonder why marriges fail when their spouse is over seas it is because of this, older wives hating and trying to 'straighten out' the new wives, we rely on you when we need help but when you act like this we want nothing to do with you. We are excited about things, and yeah you may not think it aproprite but guess what, not your wedding not your engagement shoot, and remember the words that your parents taught you if you cant say something nice then dont say anything at all!As the fiancee of someone in the military we thought about doing it for our engagement shoot but instead we ended up doing a formal in civilan clothes and a few 'cute' photos in his ACUs with him doing a push up kiss and such. I would suggest an informal sundress is a cream or green color if you want to go matchy otherwise any informal dress would work.nbsp;If you want to wear any piece of his uniform Jacket or cover take off everything but his name tape in the pictures. Same goes for if you ever do a newborn or maternity shoot with them, for a down the road thought, and that information comes from the wife of my fiance's Sergent Major. Posted by dtfarra2[/QUOTE]

LOL this is just hilarious. Number one, a spouse in no way rates to put on any part of a uniform regardless of what is adorning said uniform. Number two, it is just laughable that you think that divorces are the result of something someone outside the marriage has done. The success of a marriage is solely the responsibility of the partners involved in the marriage.
  • edited July 2014
    You are all hilarious. As an Army brat, I find this measuring contest between spouses sad. "You don't deserve to wear the uniform" they say. Really, all that most (if we're being honest, enlisted) spouses do is attempt to quote regulation to make new-comers feel like scum. There are nice ways of stating things to new people, then there are rude ways of stating things to new people. Quoting regs at girls whom are looking for guidance leans towards the latter. A lesson will be more lasting if it is constructive as opposed to hateful. Do not tell a lady what she does and does not deserve - tell her what is or is not considered appropriate. No other person than a serving spouse should to tell a spouse off for doing X, Y, or Z. That is why command tells off the serving spouse, not the civilian spouse. My FI is extremely proud of my profession, just as I am extremely supportive of his. 
  • @Knottie31579305 this thread is over a year old. Did you really need to dig it up to chastise these people? Please check the date next time before commenting - that is what is considered appropriate on The Knot's forums....
  • It was the second thing to pop up on my TK search. Not much digging on my part.
  • It was the second thing to pop up on my TK search. Not much digging on my part.
    Exactly. If you search, old threads pop up. Read them for advice or ideas, sure, but there's no need to comment on old threads and bump them up, especially if just to try to chastise other posters for their responses. 

Start your own thread or offer advice on recent and relevant ones. I'm sure this OP has already done her engagement photos.  
  • Plus all three of the people who responded to this before, so Tx, Sammy, and myself are currently or have been in the military. So this is not a "pissing contest between spouses". My ACUs aren't for play. 
    I hate Dave Ramsey
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards