Wedding Reception Forum

Should I move it to a Friday?

Originally I wanted to have my wedding at this awesome venue with everything included in the price. However, you had to have either a full bar or no alcohol at all and they charged 10 per person just for pop and tea (on top of the 14 dollars per person for the food). It was too much along with the 1000 deposit so I decided to move on to another place. 

This is a great ballroom but they don't allow alcohol there at all and the party would have to be over by 10:45. Plus they don't have caterers, linens, or any of the other stuff that I would need. I found some awesome caterers that will bring all that stuff for only 10 dollars per person and I might be able to have a plated meal for much cheaper then the buffet at the other place (which I have always wanted). However, the chairs are bad, the fact that the party would have to end early, no alcohol.... it all makes me wonder if it's worth it. 

I might be able to afford the other place if I moved it to a Friday. There is a 500 dollar discount so the fee for the place would be much cheaper and I might be able to use the original caterer that I wanted. (You don't have to use the inhouse caterer on a Friday) 

But Fridays are really inconvenient for people. Plus, and this is the important one for me, my fiancee and I wanted to get married on our ten year anniversary. Its really important to us because we've been together since we were in 8th grade and things always fall on our anniversary (May 2nd). We wanted everyone to celebrate our ten years together and also our new lives as husband and wife. 

What do you think I should do? Just get married on Friday the 1st and still celebrate the 2nd as our anniversary (thats what my sister wants) or just takes the extra expenditure on the Saturday? 

Re: Should I move it to a Friday?

• edited July 2014
    How long is it until your wedding? Can you find another option? Or is there enough time to tighten your belts and save up what you'd need, or negotiate a happy middle ground? I was able to get our venue to give us the morning ceremony rate instead of evening (which dropped it from $1000 to $500), drop the cake cutting fee ($2/slice which would have been $500), extra room rental charges ($200-500 apiece, we're using 3 rooms but he's only charging us for the largest) and the chair rental fee for the ceremony ($600). Our venue coordinator is strangely terrified of me and it has worked out greatly to my advantage. :)

• Do you want to call vendor for me? Haha. 

My wedding is May 2nd next year so we don't have a lot of time to make up our minds. How did you talk him into that? Just ask? In the area I'm getting married there aren't a lot of options so it's difficult to get people to agree to lower prices because they know that they are your only option. 
  • So, I'm hoping you have tried your local boards for advice???

• I think you have enough time to look at some other options... Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards