Catholic Weddings

The changes being made in the Catholic bible...

approve or disapprove?

From what I've read so far, they are just translation changes which I have no problem with.

Re: The changes being made in the Catholic bible...

• Could you be more specific? What changes? What version? For example?
  • There are not changes to the Catholic bible. A ridiculous "translation" , actually, "interpretation and paraphrasing" would be a better term for it, called "the message" is now going to include the extra catholic books. It's nonsense. There are several approved translations the Church recommends for accurate Scripture reading. http://www.usccb.org/bible/approved-translations/
  • This is called The Message, the Ecumenical Edition.  You could google or try reading Patheos/The Deacon's Bench.

Odd Carrie, that the Church doesn't think it nonsense at all and said so on NCR this week.  ywia

• agapecarrieagapecarrie member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited July 2014
    I read what you are referring to...as I said in my post. 

and NCR? as in National Catholic reporter? is most certainly NOT the church. 

the USCCB that I linked to, however, gives the list of translations and the message is not one of them. 
  • Most people learn that the more they listen, the more they learn.

sorry about that

• Here's a news article about the translation. It's not an official translation; you won't hear it at Mass.

http://ncronline.org/news/faith-parish/catholics-get-message-new-edition-bible

And @agapecarrie, like it or not, the Catholic church is a big wide tent, and lots of folks are part of the raggedy band of believers.
  • Thanks, Irish.  My copy skills can be lacking :(

I just moved to Massachusetts from NYC and my new pastor is quite enthusiastic about this.

haha, that was when I told him that I really liked the Protestant version of the 23rd Psalm.  Guess because we had to say it and the Lord's prayer every morning.  After saluting the flag..  I am old ;)

• I'm old enough to remember when The Way came out in the 70s. I remember a passage where the men were fighting and someone was called a "chickensh*t" and I remember thinking, "Well! That would make me pay attention!" The Way and Good News for Modern Man editions, sexist as they were, made for some good side source material--

I never used either in the classroom or in liturgies, but in study groups? when people got bogged down? they were helpful. Maybe especially in helping people to see that the Bible wasn't just holy book, but the stories of real people.
  • To me, it seems kind of dishonest to label it a Catholic Bible.  The translator isn't Catholic and it's not an authorized translation.  It seems useful to use it to bring the deuterocannonical books to Protestants, but the title's pretty misleading.  

As for his style of translation, the passages felt kind of lacking to me.  I think there's a lot of depth to be seen in the passages of the Bible as written, and this felt less like translation than interpretation.  Though, I've never used a non-Catholic Bible (apart from my children's bible, which was basically a picture book) so I don't know how this one compares to their norm.  

I wou
    ld rather read commentary in modern phrasing than read the actual text that way.  I think the translation of the Bible (or anything really) should be as close to the words they would have actually used as possible.

That said, I think there is sometimes va
    lue in pseudo-Bible reading.  My husband and I have a bible bed times story book that we read together.  The way he reads it is hilarious and it does help us get to know the stories in the Bible better.  But it can't replace actually reading the Bible.  
  • I'd much rather read an approved translation with a good commentary for study.   The Message, a paraphrase of a translation, not scripture, written from a Protestant perspective, is concerning in that it could lead people to unorthodox interpretation of scripture. The same can be said for any unapproved translation, I suppose.  As long as one is faithful to the Magisterium, reads this in tandem with an approved text, and addresses any questions, comments and concerns to their priest or spiritual director, I suppose it's alright.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards