Wedding Invitations & Paper
Options

Type of ink for return address stamp

I had a personalized return address calligraphy stamp made. I am using dark brown metallic envelopes. I was wondering what type of stamp pad should I purchase. I have read a few places that recommend the pigment ink and then the regular one. The address on the front will be done in either a gold or copper color. Has anyone used a stamp and ink pad before?

Re: Type of ink for return address stamp

• Options
    I was thinking about getting a personalized stamp too. I saw some beautiful ones on ETSY but I was debating if I should spend the $$. (OK, my FI was wondering, haha!) I think I may get one too, so let me know how it works out :)
  • Options
    vmj23vmj23 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    I used Archival Ink - its water proof
  • Options

ok.. I haven't used mine ... but I tell you.. the girl I found off etsy has beautiful handwriting!!!!!  I loved it so much, that I decided to get a stamp for my favors too!! and I am thinking about letting her write my envelopes... I am only doing like 40 invitations... mostly family.. and I am DIY'ing everything else, so I decided to splurge a little bit..

Here is my favor stamp!!! Her name is Jennifer here is her etsy shop... she does it all! https://www.etsy.com/shop/JenniferCalligrapher/about?ref=shopinfo_about_leftnav

• Options
    For stamping over dark colors, what I think works the best is to use embossing powder and a heat gun. If you don't want that much effort, try the StazOn brand ink pads. I would go with opaque white on a dark envelope.

• Options
    ok..i kinda thought about embossing.. but then it went right out..LOL  I will have to do some more research on it..
  • Options
    edited July 2014

I had dark blue metallic envelopes, also bought a return address stamp, and ran into the same issues. I looked into embossing, but it just seemed like too much work for me... I wanted something simple and one step. After some research, and experiments with multiple brands of ink, I used 'Brilliance Archival Ink Pads by Tsukineko' in silver and it worked good.  I did still have to leave the envelopes spread out to dry overnight after stamping them.  But, I had tried other inks that didn't dry after even 2-3 days, so overnight really wasn't bad.  I just stamped them before going to bed at night, left them spread out on the table, then picked them up in the morning.

For hand writing the recipient addresses on them, I found that Prismacolor fine tip metallic markers worked really well and dried almost instantly. I used silver, but it also comes in gold.  You should be able to find these at most art stores or online. But, I had tried so many different paint or metallic markers (Sharpie, water based, oil based, gel pens, paint markers, etc) and none even came close to these ones. Literally, by the time I wrote an address, the last one I did was already dry. I also used these markers for guests to sign my Shutterfly guest book, knowing that I needed something that would dry fast on the glossy paper, and I think there is only one small smudge in the whole book. So, I definitely recommend getting one, or a couple, of them.  My second favorite for writing on envelopes was just a standard metallic gel pen that I bought at Michaels.

• Options
    Ok!!! That sounds like me!! :) I will look for them at the craft store... Thank you very much...
  • Options
    njmelnjmel member
    First Comment
    FYI Groupon has deals for personalized stamps if you're concerned about spending the money.
  • Options
    I used a black stamp pad from Michael's called "Brilliance"... it was totally "meh" and I would pick a different stamp pad if I were doing it over again. Michael's had a little thing on the wall about all the different type of pads, and it made it sound like the "Brilliance" line would work for my metallic envelopes. But it just wasn't super dark or opaque. Dried fairly fast though (w/i 20 minutes).
  • Options
    Hmmmmm.. Ok.. I need to start playing with some
  • Options
    I just saw that someone else used the Brilliance Archival Ink pads and it worked well.... I just checked the one I have and it's "Brilliance Pigment Ink."  I remember seeing the Archival ones there, but for some reason picked this one. In "Graphite Black." I don't recommend. Hopefully the Archival ones are better!
  • Options
    Ok.. Great thanks for letting me know that!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards