Outdoor Weddings
Options

Rustic Cabin and Tent Camping for the wedding weekend?

Hello fellow knotties!

My fiancé and I want to have a wedding where we get to spend as much time with as many people as we can. We love camping and a large portion of our invite list also enjoy it. 

We found a venue (ceremony, reception, and sleeping accommodations) that we can rent for the whole weekend and everyone, that wants to, can stay at the campsite. There are rustic cabins and flat tent sites. 
About half of the cabins have no bedding and none of the cabins have electricity. Because I've got lots of people that camp, they can help provide bedding for out-of-towners and we were thinking of setting up a charging station in a central location so that people can use their electronics.
There are porto-potties throughout the campsite and there is a main bath house with hot water/showers/sinks etc.

Is it silly of me to feel nervous to book this site in fear that people won't enjoy the rustic camping experience? We've got families with young children (under 3yo) and a handful of elderly folks... Is it ok for me to be a little selfish and have everyone nearby or should I go the other route of having everything in a friends backyard and guests figure out their own accommodations?

Re: Rustic Cabin and Tent Camping for the wedding weekend?

• Options
    tandm137 said:
    Hello fellow knotties!

My fiancé and I want to have a wedding where we get to spend as much time with as many people as we can. We love camping and a large portion of our invite list also enjoy it. 

We found a venue (ceremony, reception, and sleeping accommodations) that we can rent for the whole weekend and everyone, that wants to, can stay at the campsite. There are rustic cabins and flat tent sites. 
    About half of the cabins have no bedding and none of the cabins have electricity. Because I've got lots of people that camp, they can help provide bedding for out-of-towners and we were thinking of setting up a charging station in a central location so that people can use their electronics.
    There are porto-potties throughout the campsite and there is a main bath house with hot water/showers/sinks etc.

Is it silly of me to feel nervous to book this site in fear that people won't enjoy the rustic camping experience? We've got families with young children (under 3yo) and a handful of elderly folks... Is it ok for me to be a little selfish and have everyone nearby or should I go the other route of having everything in a friends backyard and guests figure out their own accommodations?

How far is this site from the nearest small town or hotel accomodations?

If there aren't nearby non-cabin/camping accommodations, I'd rethink your plans. Like you said, families and elderly folks may not want to camp.

If there are alternative accommodations within a reasonable distance, I think it's fine to do the cabin deal. 
  • Options
    kaos16kaos16 member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    I don't think there is anything wrong with your idea, but I do think you may have a higher decline rate. Is there an option for people to come for just the ceremony and reception if they aren't interested in camping for the whole weekend?
  • Options
    The closest accommodations are between 15-30+ minutes which doesn't seem too unreasonable. 

I'm sure we could pose to people that they are welcome to come to as much or as little of the celebrations as they are able/willing. 
  • Options
    tandm137 said:
    The closest accommodations are between 15-30+ minutes which doesn't seem too unreasonable. 

I'm sure we could pose to people that they are welcome to come to as much or as little of the celebrations as they are able/willing. 
    I would get a hotel block at the nearest, decent hotel for people who aren't down with camping. Don't block anything that's more than 30 minutes away... it gets to be a little far at that point.

Do you have a wedding website? I would outline, in detail, what staying in a cabin would be like. Some people might think - "oh yay! a rustic cabin, how romantic..." Yea, like actual rustic...and without bedding. And be sure to list the hotel block so people know there's an alternative.
    *********************************************************************************

• Options

I don't think there is anything wrong with wanting the location you want. It sounds great. But as a person that doesn't camp, as long as your location is either within a reasonable driving distance from my home, or a hotel, I would enjoy coming to your wedding.

I do like the idea pp put about putting details on your website about the different types of camping accomodations and what will or won't be provided. Then people will know in advance what to expect.

• Options
    We do have a wedding website! 
    It does seem like in this situation I need to be as specific as possible about the "actual rustic" part southernbelle mentioned, that way, guests can make the most informed decisions. :)

• Options
    I'm of your parents generation and I'd definitely go to your wedding. No o/n camping, I'd stay in a hotel, but it sounds like a fun day.
  • Options
    I think this is a wonderful, very cute idea! It sounds like most people are comfortable with camping, but I'd suggest getting a block of hotel rooms (make sure you don't have to pay for the ones you don't fill) 30 minutes or less from where you'll be staying... On your wedding website you can outline what's going on, and you can explain a little more by word of mouth. It sounds amazing to me! I would personally go for the camping. You may be surprised and get a wonderful turnout. Maybe only the elderly and couples with small children will opt for a traditional hotel. 
  • Options
    jay788jay788 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper

I personally would love to camp and be grateful that I didn't have to pay for a hotel (plus I'm a little weird; I feel more comfortable in my own sleeping bag in my own tent than in a lot of hotels)! It's a great option for frugal out of town guests. Shouldn't be a problem at all, as long as you have a hotel option for those who don't want to camp.

We thought about doing a wedding similar to this one, but in the end settled on a non-camping option. One thing to think about is weather/rain plans.

• Options
    I love camping, but camping AND trying to get dressed up for a wedding? No. I can't style my hair and put on makeup in port-a-potty, nor can I do it while sitting on the floor of a tent. You might want to keep that in mind. Even if you're having a casual wedding, people will still want to look nice. This does sound like a really fun idea for the people that are up for it, but definitely do a block of hotel rooms nearby.
  • Options
    I love camping and I always choose campsites over hotels, but you should still get the room block for guests that might not want to camp. I have gotten ready for a wedding at a campsite before. It was a little humid, but it's do-able!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards