Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

Question on walking down the aisle to same song as bridal party

I am going to walk down the aisle to the same song as my bridesmaids, because it's a pretty long song and I love it. The only thing I'm wondering is when there is just one song, how do you signal to the guests that the bride is about to come out? I'm worried about guests being confused because there won't be a break in the music, wondering if they're supposed to stand or not, etc. Any suggestions?

Re: Question on walking down the aisle to same song as bridal party

• Is it being performed live or recorded? Is there a "big" part in it you could time everything to to make that when you come in and let some people know when to stand and everyone follow their lead?
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • It's recorded. Letting some people know when to stand is a good idea! In my friend's wedding her ring bearer had a little sign that said "Uncle Joe, here comes your girl" and so everyone started standing up at that point, even though she had two songs so they would have known anyway. Maybe a little "Here comes the bride" sign or something? Or would that be tacky? I'm probably way over-thinking it. I actually would prefer that people didn't stand for me at all, but I don't know how I would communicate that to the guests ...
  • Have the officiant give the "rise signal" to the guests. 
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • I like that the officiant gives the "rise signal" but just in case people are looking up the aisle I would also do a "here comes the bride" sign
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • My sister's officiant made sure the MOB and MOG knew when to stand.  They sit in the front row.  So when they stand, everyone else can see and know it's time to stand.
  • I was in a wedding a few weeks ago and we walked to different music then the bride and I was shocked when noone stood up until she was halfway down the short aisle.  She had already walked about 20 feet!

I too am doing the same song and had not thought about this issue.  Tonight when I meet with our officiant I am going to ask him to give the please rise cue!  And also @locesclimbing had a great idea too for the mom's to know.

• @lovesclimbing that's a good idea!!! I hadn't thought of that!

I think we'll use that, and also have the officiant give the rise signal.

Thanks for the help ladies! Surprising how little details can stress me out so much :-)

• I used same song.  I think officiant gave signal or told everyone to rise... I honestly don't remember.  But, after flower girl (we didn't have any ring bearer), we paused a little bit (maybe 15 seconds after flower girl reached front) before I started coming down aisle.  If everyone else is coming out at same timing pretty regularly, people will pick up on it if there is a delay and know what it means, and most people know to stand when they see the bride come in.  And that little hesitation before entering also will raise peoples anticipation a bit.

• All of these responses have given me great ideas on how to handle everyone coming down to one song, that was not the original plan, but we only need one. Cues, pauses and a signal from the officiant. Thank you all.
    Happiness is an inside job
  • I walked down the aisle using the same song as my bridesmaids.  We had a longer gap before I came out and our pastor asked everyone to please rise.  It worked out perfectly.
  • It's recorded. Letting some people know when to stand is a good idea! In my friend's wedding her ring bearer had a little sign that said "Uncle Joe, here comes your girl" and so everyone started standing up at that point, even though she had two songs so they would have known anyway. Maybe a little "Here comes the bride" sign or something? Or would that be tacky? I'm probably way over-thinking it. I actually would prefer that people didn't stand for me at all, but I don't know how I would communicate that to the guests ...
    The music itself is indeed supposed to announce that the bride is coming, so a "here comes the bride" sign seems like an over-cutesy way to "include" small kids.  I've never seen a picture of a ring bearer or other kid carrying a sign or banner with a cutesy message on it who was smiling or appeared to be enjoying it, but I've seen several with them scowling.  Just skip the signs.

If the music doesn't communicate to the guests that it's time to rise, the officiant can do that with the "please stand" hand gesture.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards