October 2014 Weddings

October 5th bride... Hair & Make Up Trial Nightmare!

I had my hair and make up trial in north Jersey last month... and it was horrible. I cried, I freaked out as soon as I left the appointment, and it was my first bridal breakdown. I swore I would never act like that, and I did. I looked like a clown. I am super pail with dark brown hair. I told them light and natural, but instead I wound up looking like a clown (lots of bronzer, blush, and heavy smoky eyes). My hair was terrible too and it didn't even last an hour. I also spent a large amount of money to have the trial, so it was very upsetting. I realized that I want to look like myself on my wedding day, and therefore I am doing my own make up; however, I still need to get someone to do my hair.

Has anyone done their own hair and make up or are you planning on doing so? I'm not a beginner with cosmetics, but I am scared to be doing it for the big day. Any suggestions or stories are appreciated.  :)

Re: October 5th bride... Hair & Make Up Trial Nightmare!

• You could go to Sephora before the big day, I think they do workshops where they'll teach you how to do different things with makeup. That way you can learn some new techniques and practice yourself before the big day. They're also really good at helping you pick out different products that will work best with your skin tone.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • do you have a stylist you normally see for your hair? or any friends who can rec their stylist? 

I am getting mine done by the girl who does my hair every 8 weeks. she knows me and my style best and I trust her. 
    Anniversary
  • For makeup, I've heard multiple times from brides and photographers that you should put a little bit extra on so that your features really pop for your photos.  I've seen some of my friends get married without lipstick or color on their lips and you can barely see their lips in some of their pictures.  That's awesome if you can do your makeup yourself, but I would recommend adding a bit more than your daily routine to bring out your features a bit :)

For hair, I would definitely talk to friends you trust and try to find a small local salon.  These salons usually specialize in listening intently to what their customers want and take pride in giving their customers what they ask for.  I've always used my aunt for my hair and she is essentially the only one that can make my stick-straight hair hold any curls.  She works at a small local place that her and a few ladies opened a few years back and it is the best place around to get any sort of formal 'do' for an event.  Good luck!
  • I am doing my own makeup. I went to sephora a few times and they made me look terrible. I walked out laughing to my sister, "Now I know what NOT to do." If you are comfortable doing your own make up I say go head. Just practice practice practice. Also invest in some primer and long wear makeup. 

As for your hair, go to your regular hair dresser and see if she/he does up dos or what ever. Or as other PP suggest ask around. 

Good Luck!
  • Make sure your foundation does not have SPF...that's what makes people washed out in photos. Use face primer and eye primer for good and lasting coverage/color. Use a setting spray on your face - but before you apply mascara - to make your makeup stay. Use matte eye colors, not ones with tons of shimmer. I've watched some great eye tutorials on YouTube to help me get a good look...it helped me understand what brushes to use. I'm having tons of fun looking for and buying higher end makeup and getting used to using those products.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards