Wedding Party
Options

Delicate Bridesmaid dress issue-help!

Hello! I'm getting married next summer, so I have plenty of time to resolve this issue. 
I have 4 bridesmaids, sister is maid of honour, two cousins and my best friend are the other maids. 

The dress I found which I LOVE is a tea length, 1950's style, I'll post a photo so you get the idea. The dress will suit the wedding (a low key affair in a lovely old fashioned country pub in Ireland-I'm Irish) and its a bit different from your typical bridesmaid dress but I'm not sure it'll work with one of my bridesmaids, she's a good bit heavier than the rest of the girls and carries all her weight in the middle. I would hate her to have to wear something she's not comfortable in but at the same time I really love the dress, plus it's patterned and not like she can find the same shade in a different style. She hasn't seen the dress yet, I've only shown it to my mum & MOH who pointed out that it'll probably not look good on everyone. 
Does anyone have any suggestions or know where I can get a dress in the same color scheme? Also, I thought I'd mention that in Ireland the bride buy's the bridesmaid dresses, not the maids themselves, so I'm not forcing anyone to shell out money on a dress they hate. Nor would I force anyone I love to wear a dress they hate, just wanted to see if I had any alternatives before looking for another dress entirely.
Thanks!

Best Answer

Re: Delicate Bridesmaid dress issue-help!

• Options
    Could your bridesmaids try on the dress to see if it looks bad/isn't flattering? If it does, perhaps you could dress a few of your maids in this style (sister & cousin?) and then the two others in a different dress that would coincide with this one? You could use a color from the pattern of the dress, etc.  Just a thought?  Good luck. I think it's lovely!
  • Options
    Hello! I'm getting married next summer, so I have plenty of time to resolve this issue. 
    I have 4 bridesmaids, sister is maid of honour, two cousins and my best friend are the other maids. 

The dress I found which I LOVE is a tea length, 1950's style, I'll post a photo so you get the idea. The dress will suit the wedding (a low key affair in a lovely old fashioned country pub in Ireland-I'm Irish) and its a bit different from your typical bridesmaid dress but I'm not sure it'll work with one of my bridesmaids, she's a good bit heavier than the rest of the girls and carries all her weight in the middle. I would hate her to have to wear something she's not comfortable in but at the same time I really love the dress, plus it's patterned and not like she can find the same shade in a different style. She hasn't seen the dress yet, I've only shown it to my mum & MOH who pointed out that it'll probably not look good on everyone. 
    Does anyone have any suggestions or know where I can get a dress in the same color scheme? Also, I thought I'd mention that in Ireland the bride buy's the bridesmaid dresses, not the maids themselves, so I'm not forcing anyone to shell out money on a dress they hate. Nor would I force anyone I love to wear a dress they hate, just wanted to see if I had any alternatives before looking for another dress entirely.
    Thanks!

I think you should ask the women if it looks like something they could wear.
  • Options
    The dresses are made to order from Etsy. Although that is a pretty good suggestion, thank you!
  • Options
    I really like that dress - I'd wear it! 

However, I agree with your mom and MOH that it probably won't look flattering on someone who carries their weight in their middle.

What if just your MOH wore this patterned dress and then the other BMs wore dresses in different cuts that fit their body style? Kind of like this, except with the other BMs in different cuts and shades of pink...
    Like this:
    Or this:
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    I honestly don't think that dress would look bad on a plus sized woman. But I think you should ask them each what they think. 
  • Options
    Just send the picture to all your BMs and ask if they like it.

Honestly, to me it seems like it would look great on a lot of different body types.  It has a nice defined waist and looks like it would flatter all sizes.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• Options

I really like the idea of having the maid of honor wear that dress and the other three wearing a coordinating color. The pinks are really cute!

• Options

jynxiie said:
    I think this would be flattering on a lot of body types... I'm plus sized and I think this is cute. 
    I'm plus sized as well, and I disagree.

• Options
    jacques27jacques27 member
    First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited August 2014
    The dresses are made to order from Etsy. Although that is a pretty good suggestion, thank you!
    I think it depends on what "made to order" means.  Is she going to go based off the exact measurements you send her, or her website has general sizes from a pattern and she lists which sizes correspond to which measurements and you pick the size?  And actually, I just found the vendor on etsy and know that it's the latter, now.

I'm going to say no.  If she were going off exact measurements you were giving, my answer might be different, but I just don't think that's going to be a flattering style for that body type regardless. 

I'm not sure if other people have this problem, but as someone who is busty, I have a VERY hard time finding dresses that fit without additional alteration.  They usually fit fine everywhere else but the bust or I buy larger to accommodate the bust and then end up needing something to tie around the middle. I know that style of dress is not very forgiving for bustier gals.  And if she's not busty but has a lot of middle weight it will probably look very awkward and gape weirdly at the bust because you'll have to pick the size that accommodates her middle.  And cotton is not going to be very forgiving.

If you want vintage style, try modcloth.  The nice thing about their site is they have 1. lots of reviews for each dress usually, 2. based on the reviews some guidelines about whether the dress runs big, runs small, or runs true to fit going off standard sizing, and 3. many of the reviewers also include pictures of them in the dress so you can get an idea.  I've never had issues with sizing there if I follow the guideline exactly and don't go based on what I THINK my size is just to be vain, and then take into consideration the recommendations of runs big, small, or just right.
  • Options
    Try eshakti.com, they will make dresses custom to the measurements.  They have many 50s styles.  I'm not sure if they ship to Ireland, but its worth a look.  If you have a friend in the States here, maybe you could get the dresses shipped to them and then they can ship them to you in Ireland. My friend did that when he couldn't find any non-skinny jeans in Dublin!
  • Options
    Thank you for all the help ladies! I shall look into all these suggestions. And OliveOilsMom, I'm actually based in New York, so I shall look into eshakti.com!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards