New Jersey
Options

Venue for Winter Wedding

Hello Brides!

Are any of you having a winter wedding?  My fiance and I are pushing back our wedding and considering a Feb winter wedding.

If you are getting married in the winter, what venue did you go for?  I'd like to take pictures inside and outside the venue if I go for winter (snow makes for pretty pictures).  I've seen pictures of people having their ceremony outside too.  I don't know if that would be considered rude to my guests. Anyone plan to have their ceremony outside in the winter?

Re: Venue for Winter Wedding

• Options
    I wanted a winter wedding, but only decided against it because of the possibility of snow. This past winter made me glad that I decided against it, and we still had snow on the ground when we got married at the end of March! I attended a December wedding at the Old Mill Inn, and it was gorgeous. I would strongly urge you to consider an indoor ceremony unless it's in the 60s. My coordinator encouraged me to use that as my cut-off for an outdoor ceremony in the spring. I also couldn't imagine making my grandma sit in the cold for 30 minutes just because I wanted outdoor pictures. You and your FI can always do pictures outside without making your guests freeze.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    mcelie said:
    Hello Brides!

Are any of you having a winter wedding?  My fiance and I are pushing back our wedding and considering a Feb winter wedding.

If you are getting married in the winter, what venue did you go for?  I'd like to take pictures inside and outside the venue if I go for winter (snow makes for pretty pictures).  I've seen pictures of people having their ceremony outside too.  I don't know if that would be considered rude to my guests. Anyone plan to have their ceremony outside in the winter?

I think it's unrealistic to have your ceremony outdoors in the winter in NJ.  Unless some kind of heat wave comes through in February, it would be rude to have your guests outside in the cold.

I would also keep in mind that as much as snow can be beautiful, the chances of it being around on your wedding day are still slim.  Some winters we get alot, others, hardly anything. I also think the only time snow really looks good anyway is when it's freshly fallen.

That said, I had a December wedding.  No snow.  45 degrees.  Me and DH took pictures outside.  We brought the wedding party out for a few quick photos too.  

Honestly, I'd be too worried that it would snow and prevent my guests from attending.  The only reason we ended up with a December wedding was because Hurricane Sandy postponed us.  No way would I have considered December when we first booked.
  • Options
    Hi! Congratulations on your engagement and enjoy every moment of planning your wedding!

Our friends got married this past January in Addison Park, NJ - it is located right off the parkway in Central NJ and is a beautiful winter location. The theme of the is black & white - makes it very classy and they had gorgeous white Christmas trees inside decorated in a very elegant manner. It snowed a day or so before (i can't recall exactly) and the grounds looked beautiful! There was no issue getting to the venue and it was a wonderful evening celebrating. 

The plus side of doing a winter wedding is its considered an "off peak" month and will be a lot less money than a spring, summer, or fall price per person

Good luck with the planning! 

Anniversary

Vacation
  • Options
    My cousin got married at Mayfair Farms in Feb. it was fantastic! They have fireplaces which were really nice, and she was very lucky, they just had a dusting of snow that AM which was beautiful for ictures, 
  • Options
    Thanks for the feedback ladies.

@Smitten2012, I just checked out the website for Addison Park.  It's a very lovely place.  I'll definitely be giving them a call.

@megalega14, Mayfair Farms seems very nice too.  I had no idea they were located in West Orange.  That's closer to us.

I've spoken to a few guests that wouldn't mind a ceremony outside. I don't plan to have a long ceremony, but I know a lot more people would rather be nice and warm during this time of year instead of sitting out in the cold.  I'm having second thoughts about winter wedding.  I wouldn't want heavy snowfall to ruin it and prevent guests from attending.  Too many things to consider.

I think the hardest part of planning is picking a date and venue.
  • Options
    @mcelie I am getting married at Mayfair Farms in November 2015 and if you go look ask for Scott he has been so helpful to us.  And he would give you all the options on having it outside and he will of course give you a back up plan if you need to have it inside that day for some chance.
  • Options
    mcelie said:
    Thanks for the feedback ladies.

@Smitten2012, I just checked out the website for Addison Park.  It's a very lovely place.  I'll definitely be giving them a call.

@megalega14, Mayfair Farms seems very nice too.  I had no idea they were located in West Orange.  That's closer to us.

I've spoken to a few guests that wouldn't mind a ceremony outside. I don't plan to have a long ceremony, but I know a lot more people would rather be nice and warm during this time of year instead of sitting out in the cold.  I'm having second thoughts about winter wedding.  I wouldn't want heavy snowfall to ruin it and prevent guests from attending.  Too many things to consider.

I think the hardest part of planning is picking a date and venue.
    Please don't.  The majority would mind.  Most probably wouldn't tell you because they don't want to hurt your feelings.
  • Options
    mceliemcelie member
    First Comment Name Dropper
    edited August 2014
    @JoanE2012 Yes, we definitely decided against the outdoor ceremony. It just doesn't seem fair, even if it's a sunny afternoon in Feb. I went to see The Grove in Cedar Grove recently. A very beautiful place. I definitely would have wanted to do an outdoor ceremony in the spring/summer here. They were getting ready to do an Indian wedding and it was just amazing. We are going to check out Addison Park next. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards