Attire & Accessories Forum

Silly? question re: bride robes

I love all these beautiful "bride" robes ladies wear when getting ready, but I don't understand .... 
What do you wear under it?  
I assumed the purpose of the robe was so that you dont have a shirt to pull over your hair after your hair is done ... but, I wouldn't go topless under it (seems most are silky and could slide a little) or wear another shirt under it, thinking that defeats the purpose of the robe?
Unless you are getting your hair/make-up done at home, then I suppose topless or strapless bra under wouldn't be a bad idea...? 

Re: Silly? question re: bride robes

• I didn't wear a robe but I did wear a tank top (had a zip up hoodie over that) that I could easily slip down rather then up and over.  If I were to have worn one of those robes I would have still worn my tank top and my yoga capris because honestly those things are light weight and I would have been cold as hell if all I wore was a bra and underwear.

• benaisy3 said:
    I love all these beautiful "bride" robes ladies wear when getting ready, but I don't understand .... 
    What do you wear under it?  
    I assumed the purpose of the robe was so that you dont have a shirt to pull over your hair after your hair is done ... but, I wouldn't go topless under it (seems most are silky and could slide a little) or wear another shirt under it, thinking that defeats the purpose of the robe?
    Unless you are getting your hair/make-up done at home, then I suppose topless or strapless bra under wouldn't be a bad idea...? 

Unless you just really want a nice robe for yourself, I'd skip it. Typically people wear whatever undergarments they plan on wearing under the robe. So bra and underwear. 

I just wore a button up shirt and shorts. 
  • Bra or tank top. 
  • Thanks Ladies!
    I think I will likely just wear a zip-up or a tank I can slip down instead of up/over as pp mentioned.
  • I think the purpose of the robe is simply for photographs.  That's the only reason I purchased one.  I'll do a couple of pictures in the robe with my underwear on (it helps a lot that I've known my photographer for eighteen years) but otherwise go with the loose tank or button up shirt and comfy pants for the majority of the hair and make up process.
  • You could wear a cheap tank top under it and then rip it off like you're the hulk before you need to put your dress on.

Kidding. Just wear a bra and whatever on the bottom.
    *********************************************************************************

• I didn't wear a "bride" robe, just a satin one that I already had.  Wore spaghetti strap tank under it that I could slide down and step out of, it was part of a matching lounge pant set.  Don't get a "bride" robe.  Get something you'll want to keep and wear for a long time in a color you love.  Are you really going to wear a robe that says "bride" in rhinestones two years from now?  Probably not.

• You are seriously overthinking this.
  • I didn't wear a "bride" robe, just a satin one that I already had.  Wore spaghetti strap tank under it that I could slide down and step out of, it was part of a matching lounge pant set.  Don't get a "bride" robe.  Get something you'll want to keep and wear for a long time in a color you love.  Are you really going to wear a robe that says "bride" in rhinestones two years from now?  Probably not.

I actually wore an easily removable tank top & blue jeans while getting hair & makeup done at our hotel. Underneath, I had on the strapless bra & underwear I wore for the wedding.

I'm also a fan of getting something you will wear again. Personally, I think the "bride" things are kind of a waste of money. Most of the accessories I bought for my wedding are items I'll use again (shoes, hair accessories, jewelry). Plus, if you get a nice robe that you will wear again, that robe will always have the added meaning to you because it was your wedding robe. And you could always get a white or ivory one that will still look wedding-y for your big day.

• Thanks everyone.
    Yeah, I'm definitely not getting one, I just kept seeing lots of photos with them and I'm like really, how practical is this and what do people wear under it? LOL
  • Not gonna lie - there's a part of me who really wants one of the Bride robes, but that part of me is the tiny sliver of Pinterest bride that i'm trying to suppress so unless someone happens to buy one for me, i probably will settle for a loose tank since it'll be too hot for any of my button-up shirts.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• StitelME said:
    Not gonna lie - there's a part of me who really wants one of the Bride robes, but that part of me is the tiny sliver of Pinterest bride that i'm trying to suppress so unless someone happens to buy one for me, i probably will settle for a loose tank since it'll be too hot for any of my button-up shirts.

Exactly!
  • I have a VS bride robe with tags still attached. I got it as a gift and assumed I'd wear it getting ready. I ended up wearing a bride tank and silky shorts. I just wanted to be comfy. 
    "There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness." -Friedrich Nietzsche, "On Reading and Writing"
  • A button up shirt is the way to go.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards