Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

What time should the ceremony start?

We're having a Saturday night wedding with a dinner being served. We're in the Midwest, where most people eat dinner around 5-6. All of our pictures will be taken beforehand so we can go straight from the ceremony to the reception. They're also located in the same building, so there's no travel time to take into consideration.

Would a 5:30-6:00 ceremony be good? Then dinner would be "served" (it's a buffet) and the bar would open at 6, and the reception would go from 6 until around 10. Is this good timing?

Re: What time should the ceremony start?

• I would do more like 5:00pm especially if you're doing any sort of receiving line. Then again, if you're not having a ton of guests, maybe that's not necessary. As long as refreshments of some sort are available immediately so as to avoid a gap, you're good.
  • I would do more like 5:00pm especially if you're doing any sort of receiving line. Then again, if you're not having a ton of guests, maybe that's not necessary. As long as refreshments of some sort are available immediately so as to avoid a gap, you're good.
    We're not having a receiving line. We'll be doing table visits. So a 5:00 ceremony would be immediately followed by a 5:30-9:30 reception. I just don't know what would be too early or too late. I'm probably overthinking this. 
  • Since when do Midwest people all eat dinner from 5 to 6? I grew up in the Midwest and I don't think we ever had dinner before 6. Once an adult, dinner before 7 was a miracle.

Anyway, do you want your reception to end at 9:30? Or do you want a party party atmosphere?

I'd shoot for a 5:30 ceremony at the earliest (I wanted a big party though). I think you could easily get away with a 6:00 start time, but I suppose you know your guests better.
  • PDKH said:
    Since when do Midwest people all eat dinner from 5 to 6? I grew up in the Midwest and I don't think we ever had dinner before 6. Once an adult, dinner before 7 was a miracle. Anyway, do you want your reception to end at 9:30? Or do you want a party party atmosphere? I'd shoot for a 5:30 ceremony at the earliest (I wanted a big party though). I think you could easily get away with a 6:00 start time, but I suppose you know your guests better.
    Most of my friends and family eat dinner by 6 (if not 5). I guess that's just a podunk, middle-of-nowhere midwest (practically south) thing. 

I'm thinking I'll go with either a 5:30 or 6:00 start time. None of my guests are the clubbing type who stay out partying until midnight. I think a 10:00 or 10:30 end time would be perfect. A large portion of our guests will probably be gone by 8, anyway. 

Thank you!
  • I think if people know what time your wedding starts, they'll plan their food accordingly. Even if they are hard wired to eat dinner at 6:00 on the dot every single night, they're not going to starve if you don't serve dinner until 7:00. As long as you aren't serving dinner late into the night, I think you're fine.
    *********************************************************************************

• I think if people know what time your wedding starts, they'll plan their food accordingly. Even if they are hard wired to eat dinner at 6:00 on the dot every single night, they're not going to starve if you don't serve dinner until 7:00. As long as you aren't serving dinner late into the night, I think you're fine.
    This. 
  • That Midwest generalization is funny. I am in Ohio. I don't know anyone that eats before 6:30. Heck who gets off work before 5?

Anyway we are having a 5:30 ceremony. Dinner will be at 7. As PPs mentioned. People that eat early will surely planning accordingly.
  • Senecaf said:
    That Midwest generalization is funny. I am in Ohio. I don't know anyone that eats before 6:30. Heck who gets off work before 5? Anyway we are having a 5:30 ceremony. Dinner will be at 7. As PPs mentioned. People that eat early will surely planning accordingly.
    People (like myself and my FI) who start work at or before 7? The relatively large portion of our guest list that is retired? 

Anyway, thank you all. I think we're going to go with a 5:30 ceremony and 6:00 dinner.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards