Honeymoon Discussions
Options

PSA- Hurricane Season and Hawaii

The Hurricane Season that we all discuss on here encompasses more than the Caribbean. Hurricane Iselle is due to make landfall on the Big Island Thursday evening at ~ Category 3. While hurricanes are not as frequent in the Hawaiian Islands as they are in the Caribbean or Baja Coast of Mexico, they are still something that can and will happen, and IS happening this season. A reminder to everyone to make sure they are fully aware of the parameters of hurricane season, including destinations and time frames. And while this sounds scary, do not pass up on a destination just because it is hurricane season. Purchase trip insurance, plan your trip, and enjoy it! Nine times of out ten, you will go on on your trip and enjoy it, rather than have it be cancelled. 

Also of note is that, as some knotties have found out, trip insurance will also assist you if your own area/home is battered by a hurricane! Be sure to ask your travel agent about cancel for any reason policies to get the most extensive coverage. 

Re: PSA- Hurricane Season and Hawaii

• Options

Great post! I also recommend trip insurance for any international trip that is not in a hurricane region/ time frame. I was involved in an accident 3 days before my Caribbean cruise and could not go. I got all my money back instead of being out $2,000 I was only out the $70 I paid for the insurance. You just never know what could happen!

It also covers you in the event you get injured in that country, which your American health insurance likely doesn't cover.

• Options
    dude. They might get a 1-2 punch. Yikes. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Anyway, great advice. I lived in the Caribbean for 14 years. I would never discourage someone from going down during hurricane season. There would be entire seasons we would get nothing. Others 2 in one year both in the fall. It's silly to write us off because of a 3% chance of a hurricane hitting. Heck, I got married in NJ and got hit by one, while I was living in the islands. LOL

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    lyndausvi said:
    dude. They might get a 1-2 punch. Yikes. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Anyway, great advice. I lived in the Caribbean for 14 years. I would never discourage someone from going down during hurricane season. There would be entire seasons we would get nothing. Others 2 in one year both in the fall. It's silly to write us off because of a 3% chance of a hurricane hitting. Heck, I got married in NJ and got hit by one, while I was living in the islands. LOL
    Now THAT'S irony!
  • Options
    There is no hurricane season in Hawaii.  The last hurricane to hit the islands was in 1992.  Does that mean that it can't happen there?  No, but it shouldn't be a major worry when planning your honeymoon.

Why you really need trip insurance:  MEDICAL coverage!  This isn't a problem in Hawaii, but anywhere else outside the USA, it is.  Your insurance likely will not cover you in a foreign country.  DEATH in the family.  Currently we have a $10,000 cruise booked.  If FIL dies during that time, we need to be able to cancel pr to fly home ASAP.  Weather issues - remember Katrina?
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    I was supposed to see my family in New Orleans. I bought trip insurance and then Katrina happened.  The hotel we were supposed to stay at and the entire vicinity was either under water or unsafe because of the crime outbreak.  We cancelled our trip and returned the next fall.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards