Michigan-Northern

Affordable smaller venue, help!

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the board, and new to being engaged! We are planning a wedding THIS summer somewhere in Michigan, maybe in the Detroit area or maybe somewhere a little bit up north. My fiancé is from Detroit, I'm from Sweden and we currently live in New York. My family will be flying in from Sweden to be there for the celebrations. I feel slightly overwhelmed to put it mildly, as I'm not too familiar with Michigan and don't have a lot of time...

We're looking for a location where we could preferably have both the ceremony and reception for about 50 people. I don't have high demands.. It can be a ways out of the Detroit area, 2-4 hours in either direction. We are trying to keep the costs down and really want just the closest family and friends around. I'm having a hard time finding those smaller venues.. Any help to get me started would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks so much!!

Re: Affordable smaller venue, help!

• I am having my wedding in Traverse City, which is almost 4 hours away from Detroit. My reception is at a place called "Reserved TC". It is really nice, and it is kind of an all-in-one reception. Half of the building is a night club, and the other half they use for events, like receptions. The wall between the two is sound proof. Anyways, they have a full bar already, kitchen to serve the dinner, etc. They also have DJ's on staff that you can hire for $500 which is a better price than most DJ options. I am having 150 people, which is about their max for the venue. They also have a smaller area that is sort of set up like a restaurant that could possibly be a good option for 50 people. 

It could be worth looking into and possibly giving them a call. Here is their website: 

If your family is flying in from Sweden, Traverse City would be a nice place to go. It is a tourist area. However, for his family, it might be easier for them if you found somewhere closer. Sorry I don't really know of anywhere that is closer to the Detroit area. 
  • Oh I forgot to mention. Since this venue is a night club, a lot of the hotels nearby offer a shuttle service to and from the venue, which might be very nice for your family. It is also actually right next to the airport in Traverse City. It doesn't have the nice views of some other places in the area though. 

They also have done wedding ceremonies in this venue. There is a very nice white wall that serves well for a backdrop for a ceremony. 

The woman who I have been in contact at this venue has been incredibly nice, accommodating, and helpful. I am confident my wedding reception will be beautiful at this venue. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards