Attire & Accessories Forum

LOVED the first dress I tried on, but having trouble making the leap!

Hello my lovely bride-sisters~

So here's my conundrum... I was EXTREMELY apprehensive about wedding dress shopping, and I'd been putting it off since getting engaged. I don't know, maybe it was all those years of watching Say Yest to the Dress (lol) but the whole process was VERY intimidating to me.  I finally agreed to go to an appointment this past weekend, more so to "get the jitters out" than actually buy a dress, so that when the right one came along, I'd be emotionally prepared and calm for it.

Well... long story short, the first dress I tried on I LOVED. But, I felt like I had just overcome the hurdle of even thinking of wedding dress shopping; to buy one right after felt too rushed for me to handle. Ever since leaving the salon, I've wanted to go back and get the dress, but part of me is also worried I might be missing something by settling right away! Ahh!

I guess what I am looking for is if anyone had a similar experience to me (loving their first dress, feeling intimidated by dress shopping) and how you handled it. I'd love some advice/encouragement! Thanks girls!

Re: LOVED the first dress I tried on, but having trouble making the leap!

• I actually ended up buying the first wedding gown I ever put on (tried on more, but went back to it). And then had repeated freak out moments that I chose too quickly. In the end, though, it was the right dress. I looked at pictures or tried it on when I got worried over it. I also DID NOT look at other wedding dresses after I purchased my dress.

My best advice is make a couple more appointments at other salons. Try on more dresses. If you still can't this dress out of your mind, go make an appointment to revisit it and see how you feel. If you are still in love with it, get it.

Also, some of the best advice I got here was that there's ALWAYS gorgeous dresses out there and you will love more than one. All you need is a dress that you love and makes you feel beautiful.
  • I didn't buy the first dress I tried on but many brides do.  I think the whole wanting to go back and get the dress is a big sign that that dress is your dress.  But I agree with PDKH.  Make a few more appointments (maybe only 2) at other salons and try on a few more.  If none of those dresses can't beat the first dress then you will know that the first dress is your dress.

• I didn't even try the dress I bought! I bought mine online cause I totally fell in love with it. Of course I do have "what ifs" moments but you'll know if it's the right one for you!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I think it depends totally on what the dress is.  Is it something off the rack, and you may miss out if you don't act immediately, or is it going to be an order from a designer?  

I fell in love with something off the rack, tried on 50 other dresses, went back and it was gone.  Not the end of the world though.  I completely disagree that "the" dress exists, and there are any number of gorgeous dresses that would look just as stunning on you.  If you think it will be heartbreaking to miss this dress, then see if you can put a deposit on it and look around a little bit more.  Most places I've spoken with will hold an off the rack dress for a few days, and while deposits often aren't refundable, they can be exchanged for store credit, which you can use for accessories.

If you're looking at ordering something from a designer I'd say to go with your strongest feeling.  Is your love for this dress stronger than the anxiety that you might be missing out on something better?  Is your feeling that there's something lovelier and more suitable out there stronger than your love for this dress?  I'd generally recommend shopping around, but it's totally up to you.  Too many options may actually make the decision making process more complicated and less enjoyable for you, particularly if you've been dreading it.  

I wish you the best in making a decision.  In the end, you know what looks great on you, and what you're still likely to love in twenty years when you look back on your photos.  Trust yourself.
  • I'm a little jealous.  I went dress shopping and found NOTHING like what I wanted.  Every picture I showed the consultant, she said, "wow that's beautiful..... but we don't have anything like it.".
  • I'm jealous too! I had multiple appointments and must have tried on close to 25 dresses. I did not enjoy the process of dress shopping.  Last night, I had to bite the bullet and try on another 10 dresses since my wedding is 3 months away (whoops) and luckily I found one I loved! I agree you should try on a few more dresses, but I'm happy you got so lucky with the first one!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I too fell in love with the first dress I was able to try on and ended up buying it. My story was a bit interesting though. I went to a Justin Alexander dress trunk show to try on dresses because I love that designer and wanted to take advantage of the trunk show discount if i found one that i loved. I arrived only to find out that the designer's people had only sent wedding size 4s! (I am a healthy size 14-16 depending on the clothes). I couldn't fit into any of the tighter fitting dress styles that I had been drawn to online, not even if we skipped the zippers in the back. I just couldn't get in. Two or three dresses like this and I was an emotional wreck.

Thankfully, my MOH had insisted I grab a few princess/ballgown dresses to try on just to make sure that I really didn't want those styles. (I went in not wanting anything too glitzy, no huge ballgown dresses, definitely not strapless). I tried on a dress that was all of those things and was glowing in it. I loved it. I tried on several other styles to be safe that day but kept feeling like my first dress was the one I wanted. I ended up trying it on again just to make sure that my glow wasn't inspired by my ability to actually get in a dress rather than simply the dress. I still glowed. I ended up buying it that day and I haven't regretted it since.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Thanks for all the support gals! I made another appointment at this bridal store I had wanted to check out, so I figure I will try some dresses on there and see if they hold a candle to the original. If not, I feel like I'll be at peace going with the first dress :)

• I'm so pleased to hear that you're coming close to making a decision!  I hope everything goes well with your appointment.
  • Ended up purchasing the first dress today! Glad I tried on others at other salons though. Sometimes you just have to be sure it's THE dress!
  • Congratulations!  
  • I hate shopping. I tried on about 6 dresses and got my favorite out of the bunch. I had no desire to go to another store and try on more.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards