Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

invitation question

Hi. I will be ordering our invitations soon and would like some opinions. We are having a DW in Hawaii because it is the half way point for our families and friends. It will be around 35 people, so not very big. The night before the wedding we are hosting a bbq so all of our guests can get together and meet each other. It's nothing formal and people of course don't have to come but we thought it would be nice to do this. I am wondering how I go about this on the invitations, or if we do at all. We are planning on having an invitation and a rsvp card. Should I put an extra card in there with information about the bbq? Should we just email people ahead of time letting the know? Should we have it printed on the back of the invitation? What would you prefer if you were a guest? Cheers.

Re: invitation question

• Options
    I'd send a separate invitation for the barbecue the night before.
  • Options
    Hi. I will be ordering our invitations soon and would like some opinions. We are having a DW in Hawaii because it is the half way point for our families and friends. It will be around 35 people, so not very big. The night before the wedding we are hosting a bbq so all of our guests can get together and meet each other. It's nothing formal and people of course don't have to come but we thought it would be nice to do this. I am wondering how I go about this on the invitations, or if we do at all. We are planning on having an invitation and a rsvp card. Should I put an extra card in there with information about the bbq? Should we just email people ahead of time letting the know? Should we have it printed on the back of the invitation? What would you prefer if you were a guest? Cheers.
    If you are inviting everyone to the bbq, I would be okay with putting a card in the invitation. As a guest that would be nice to know when making travel arrangements.  I don't know the technical etiquette. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Yes, everyone who is invited to the wedding is invited to the bbq.  I wasn't sure about the etiquette either.  I'm really happy to do anything I mentioned or like Jen4948 said, separate invite.  Although that seems like extra waste (we are pretty green people for the most part), I would like to do whichever is most appropriate.
  • Options
    It's okay if you want to put invitations to the barbecue on a separate insert to be included with the invitations.  It's just that since it sounds like not everyone invited to the wedding is invited to the barbecue, you need to be a little careful to make sure that anyone who is not invited to both doesn't get an invitation to the barbecue, so I wouldn't print anything on the back of an invitation just to play it safe.
  • Options
    Jen4948 said:
    It's okay if you want to put invitations to the barbecue on a separate insert to be included with the invitations.  It's just that since it sounds like not everyone invited to the wedding is invited to the barbecue, you need to be a little careful to make sure that anyone who is not invited to both doesn't get an invitation to the barbecue, so I wouldn't print anything on the back of an invitation just to play it safe.

As stated above, everyone is invited to the bbq that is invited to the wedding.  
  • Options
    Separate event = separate invitation. Separate invitation =\= separate mailing. Put them both in the same envelope.
  • Options
    Thank you guys for your input!
  • Options
    FWIW, we did this exact thing. I had my traditional invites, then an insert about the dinner and then our RSVPs looked like this: 

____ will attend friday welcome dinner
    ____ will attend ceremony and reception
    ____ will be unable to attend

98% of our guests filled it out appropriately and it was nice to have less RSVPs to deal with. 
  • Options
    We didn't want fussy invites with pocketfolds and tons of paper. We had a regular invite printed, with a response card. On the response card, it said "visit our wedding website for more info on weekend events"

Then we had:

Friday night welcome party (accept/decline)
    Saturday afternoon wedding and reception (accept/decline)
    Sunday morning breakfast (accept/decline).

Worked just fine for us and nobody was confused. We also made nice little maps with weekend events, times and addresses that were given to guests at the hotel when they checked in.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards