Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

Oathing Stone

We are using an oathing stone for our wedding vows. We'll pick a nice shaped one that we can both hold through our vows and then place in our home somewhere. It's an old Scottish tradition that provides a permanent reminder of the vows we will promise to uphold. Suddenly looking forward to rock picking this summer! Just thought I would post this as an alternative to those expensive unity candles and sand thingers. 
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Oathing Stone

• That's really cool :-)
    DSC_9275
  • Lisa50Lisa50 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited February 2012
    Another alternative to all of these -- candles, stones, sand, etc. -- is perfect and completely free of charge: vows.  Period.  Nothing to buy, pour, burn, pass around, tie, etc. 

I'm truly at a loss.  When did vows become so unimportant?
  • and when you have your first really big fight as husband and wife, you can pick up the stone and throw it at him!
  • I'm doing the same thing! Vows are important. You say them while holding the stone. It's an OLD Scottish tradition. Everyone does things differently. Here's a link for more info http://www.celebrateintimateweddings.com/oathingstone.html
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Griffik3Griffik3 member
    First Comment
    edited March 2012
    Lisa 50:
    Actually, the Oathing Stone tradition is hundreds of years old. It isn't something new that brides thought up recently. The sand pouring tradition is newer.

For us, we plan on taking many hikes and bike rides and walks to find just the right stone. That means much time spend together to find just the 'perfect stone' while discussing our vows.  To us, it means more than just saying some words at the ceremony. We will have this stone in our house as a reminder of our vows to each other.
  • Lisa50 said:
    Another alternative to all of these -- candles, stones, sand, etc. -- is perfect and completely free of charge: vows.  Period.  Nothing to buy, pour, burn, pass around, tie, etc. 

The vows are said *while holding* the stone (which is also free). This is not an alternative to vows, just another way of doing them which is, as was mentioned, quite an old celtic tradition. It fell out of fashion with the rise of Christendom and now is being resurrected, why is this so bad?
  • Lisa50 said:

The vows are said *while holding* the stone (which is also free). This is not an alternative to vows, just another way of doing them which is, as was mentioned, quite an old celtic tradition. It fell out of fashion with the rise of Christendom and now is being resurrected, why is this so bad?
    This thread is over two YEARS old. Let it rest in peace.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards