Honeymoon Discussions

Possible honeymoon in Italy, after all

edited August 2014 in Honeymoon Discussions
Husband and I might be taking a honeymoon, after all.  His company is based out of Nice, France, and he has to go there for a work conference.  If he can get time off the week after, we were thinking about going to Italy for a week, after staying in Nice for a week. We were thinking about flying into Venice and staying for a couple of days and then taking a train to Rome for 5 days. Does anyone have any spots, restaurants, landmarks, guided tours that are a must for this trip? I hate seafood, and that is my only bugaboo about restaurants, FI will eat ANYTHING. lol
  We will definitely take a ride in a gondola in venice. We will also see the Colosseum in Rome, the Pantheon, the Spanish Steps, and the Trevi fountain. Any other suggestions I am not thinking of?

Re: Possible honeymoon in Italy, after all

• We're going to Italy too! But we're going to be in Florence. We might take a day trip to Venice. I have no idea what we're going to see there. 

Also, something to consider. Monte Carlo is like a 30 minute drive from Nice. I definitely recommend checking it out. Another short drive from Nice is Saint Paul de Vence. It's a really cute town with great restaurants and shops. I had one of my favorite meals there at Malabar. 
  • I went to St. Paul de Vence a couple of years ago. It is breathtaking. We also were in Nice, before, as well as Antibes, and Paris. I think we ate at that restaurant, too, in St. Paul de Vence. It was amazeballs!
  • I wish we could go to Florence, too. But I want to feel like we are on vacation.
  • I went to St. Paul de Vence a couple of years ago. It is breathtaking. We also were in Nice, before, as well as Antibes, and Paris. I think we ate at that restaurant, too, in St. Paul de Vence. It was amazeballs!

SITB
    I still dream about that meal. It was so good! I also did a ton of shopping there too. I bought this adorable trench coat and a really cute scarf. 

We fell in love with Florence when we were there last year. I can't wait to go back and spend more time. 
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited August 2014
    I would spend a day at the Vatican museum.  If I get back to Rome again, that is where I would go.  Once was not enough!  No, I'm not Catholic, but St. Peter's was amazing!

Don't skip the Forum ruins near the Collosseum.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Thank you, CMGragain?
  • One of my favourite drives in the whole world is from Nice to Santa Margherita in Italy. You drive through the Cote d'Azure, Monaco, Cinque Terra, Portifino. I would definitely recommend hiring a car (especially a convertible) and doing that drive, you can't help but feel like Audrey Hepburn! 

I really cannot recommend doing that enough!
  • I went to Rome in Italy We stayed a hotel named "hotel raffaelo". We told them it was our honeymoon and they upgraded us free to a suite with our personal roof top deck, gave us strawberries and champagne. I can't speak more highyl of them. they were soo sweet and location was great for us .

we did the "hop on hop off" bus pass. It was handy because it got us around city much more easily. We got to site see and just go on/off the various locations throughout the city.

I agree with PP. Vatican City is pretty. Word of the wise, bring a shawl wherever you go there and perhaps where  sundress (or something that covers knees). They won't let you in if your shoulders/knees are showing.  Some other churches have rules on that too. It varies, but i was asked to cover up many times
  • We're headed to Rome in September for our honeymoon.  Just FYI - Trevi Fountain is undergoing restoration as of July.  It's currently empty and wrapped in scaffolding for about 18 months to come.  Bummer.

• I wouldn't
    Husband and I might be taking a honeymoon, after all.  His company is based out of Nice, France, and he has to go there for a work conference.  If he can get time off the week after, we were thinking about going to Italy for a week, after staying in Nice for a week. We were thinking about flying into Venice and staying for a couple of days and then taking a train to Rome for 5 days. Does anyone have any spots, restaurants, landmarks, guided tours that are a must for this trip? I hate seafood, and that is my only bugaboo about restaurants, FI will eat ANYTHING. lol
      We will definitely take a ride in a gondola in venice. We will also see the Colosseum in Rome, the Pantheon, the Spanish Steps, and the Trevi fountain. Any other suggestions I am not thinking of?
    I wouldn't go all the way to Rome without seeing the Vatican and Sistine Chapel.  The Forum is also right across from the Colosseum....I would see that too.

In Venice, we visited Doge's Palace.  We also just loved walking along the canal and browsing in all the shops.  We did the gondola ride too.  It was a little expensive (we did a private one, you can cut costs by sharing one with others)......but we weren't going all the way to Venice and not doing that!  
  • I am totally bummed that the Trevi fountain will be closed. That sucks. Thank you for all the wonderful ideas, ladies!
  • I am totally bummed that the Trevi fountain will be closed. That sucks. Thank you for all the wonderful ideas, ladies!
    Me too! My husband and I are going to Rome, Florence, and Venice soon for our honeymoon. Our hotel in Rome is very close the the fountain. How disappointing!
  • Absolutely see the sistine chapel and vatican city - it was my favorite part of Italy when I went a few years ago. You have to wake up super early to get there though - lines get long come 7 am

Buy LOTS of gelato.  there will be street carts selling it for a few euros everywhere, and its delicious.  For quick meals there's also food carts with pizza and they're wonderful.  Unique toppings and very good. I didn't have any money for real restaurants when I went (spring break when studying abroad - super broke), so we bought tons of fresh food from the grocery stores, and even that was unique and delicious.

Venice is gorgeous but very touristy. Take the water taxi to the outlying islands (murano where they make venetian glass and burano where they make gorgeous lace)

Also - random tip - do whatever you can to avoid the typical rolling suitcases in venice, unless you are staying immediately next to the train station.  The "roads" in Venice are rivers, and the "crosswalks" are actually bridges. You will go up and down SO many stairs.  I hated my rolling suitcase that trip.
  • We just got back from our honeymoon to Sicily, Venice, & a Mediterranean cruise. We spent 2 and a half days in Venice.

Be prepared - Venice is EXPENSIVE. Our first casual lunch in Venice was almost as expensive as our nicest meal in Sicily! When you start looking for hotels, look into B&B's instead of actual hotels. We stayed here: http://www.venice3c.com/ and it was great (I am very picky and had absolutely zero complaints). It is close to St. Mark's/ transportation but in a little alley so no issues with noise.

We did the Doge's Palace Secret Itineraries tour where you get to see some rooms of the palace not open to the general public: http://palazzoducale.visitmuve.it/it/il-museo/percorsi-e-collezioni/itinerari-segreti/ (sorry the page is in Italian).

Campo Santa Margherita in the Dorsodoro neighborhood is a fun place to bar hop. There was also a really good gelato place there called Il Doge.

We shared a gondola - the current rate is 80 euro during the day and 100 euro at night and we just could not bring ourselves to pay the whole thing.

Transportation from the airport into Venice: there are a few options - we were not about to do private water taxi for 110 euro and I didn't want to drag our giant suitcases on the vaporetto (water bus) so we booked the Alilaguna ferry. It was HOT and a rough ride but I still think it was the best of the options. If you book online the tickets are a little cheaper: http://www.alilaguna.it/en

Also, the Venice airport is absolutely not equipped to handle the volume it receives so just in case for some reason you end up also flying out of Venice, keep in mind you will not be allowed to check in for your flight until between 2-3 hours beforehand. We came from a cruise so got there 9 AM and were miserable sitting on the floor until 12:30 when we could finally check in for our flight!

Let me know if you have any more questions. Despite being there in August/ prime tourist season, we did really enjoy it!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards