Honeymoon Discussions
Options

Delayed honeymoon...change name or wait?

We didn't leave for a honeymoon right after the wedding, and are now working on planning it - hopefully for September.   I've had my name changed on a couple things (bank accout and health insurance only), and am in the process of buying a new car, so was going to change it with the dmv at the same time...but at this point should I hold off until we are done traveling?  Or should I rush to get it all done with social security, dmv, and passport?     I don't like having some things changed, but not others, but I don't want problems when we travel out of the country. 

Re: Delayed honeymoon...change name or wait?

• Options
    Don't change it - just wait.

I just had a friend who had to cancel a Spain trip because her passport name change didn't match her ticket that she had booked! (Good thing for trip insurance!) 

You're probably so busy with everything - you don't want to potentially miss anything at all.
    Good luck!
  • Options
    If you buy a car in your new name, they're probably going to make you change your license when you go to the DMV to get the car registered...that's how it works in NC at least. The two have to match. Generally, it doesn't take long to get it changed on your passport...maybe a month or so. So if you haven't booked the trip yet, i'd just take care of the name changes and then book the trip. However, if this car thing doesn't happen and you're not forced to change your name on your license, I'd wait. We left for the honeymoon a week after the wedding, so obviously i had everything in my maiden name. i'm working on changing everything now and it is a huge PITA. sigh. I can't believe your bank let you change your name without you having changed your SS card. my bank basically wants my blood before they'll change it. Also, FYI, at least in NC you can't change the name on your drivers license without first changing it on your SS card...so if this car buying thing is happening, beware that your DMV might not allow you to register it in your new name unless both the SS card AND your license are updated first.
  • Options

In NJ you need to have your SS card updated before the change at the DMV as well.  I went in person to the SS Admin and was in and out in 15 minutes.  I had all my forms filled out ahead of time.  My new SS Card arrived about a week later.  Then go right into your passport.  I just renewed mine (including updating my maiden name) and got my new passport back in about a month.  If you start everything now, you should be good to travel in your married name.

Just make sure, whatever you do, your plane tickets match your IDs!

• Options
    vmj23vmj23 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer

Thanks everyone!   If it weren't for the car, I'd hold off, but I plan on getting a car within the next few weeks and think it's easiest to do the name change at one.  The bank made me change my name to deposit the checks, but they still have my maiden name on record as well, since I do not have any ID to match.   I'm just afraid of starting the process and not finishing in time.  Getting to SS office is also a pain, since I work about an hour from where I live and have to be at work an hour before the ss office open.  

• Options
    I mailed mine to the SS local office; it took about 2 weeks to process the name change.  DMV was easiest for me; I was in and out in about 15 minutes. If you're changing your passport, I would recommend checking out the Passport Agency's website to see what their estimated processing time is.  

I submitted my passport renewal/application mid-May and got it back late June. 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    Book your name under whatever name is listed on your passport. I traveled to Canada once with my license update but not my passport. I just took copy of marriage license with me.
  • Options
    We went on our honeymoon right after (November 2013) - so I still had my maiden name. In MD - we have to have our finalized marriage license and new Social Security card before you can change it at the DMV.  SS was super simple and fast - DMV took two trips.  Passport - I just went away in early June and received the updated passport (and my old passport) in early July - super easy to fill out - it just took me a while to get to the post office :).  The last men standing are my bank accounts because they have the most requirements and we don't have a branch near us. My goal is by the time my one-year anniversary rolls around (luckily it hasn't been an issue yet).
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    TSA, the airlines and immigration only look at one id.  Traveling within the country you can use a driver's license or passport (or other forms of ID), you just need to pick one.   Outside the country you can only use a passport (although traveling by land and sea to Canada and Mexico you can us a driver's license and birth certificate).

The number one thing to remember is the name on the ticket and ID MUST match.   In my opinion, if you already have a passport  just book your ticket(s) with the name on the passport and use it to travel.   Then change your name on the passport after your travel.  You can go ahead and change your name on all your other stuff if you want.  As long as you have a valid passport they will not even ask to see another form of ID.

If you do not have a passport and traveling within the states then it depends on when you buy your tickets and if you can truly be able to get your new license.   Some states take longer than others. Although in my experience having licenses in 7 states and one territory you can often get a new license fairly quickly.  The the thing that holds people up is not bring all the right documentation the state requires (i.e. some states ask for your SSN.  Other states require to see the actual card.)

If you are traveling out of the country and need a passport that gets a little trickier.   Some people wait 6-10 weeks for passports.  September is not far away.  There are some cities that have same-day passport services.   Philly is one, Atlanta is another.   You have to make an appointment within 2 weeks of leaving.    Go in person with your tickets showing you are departing in the next 2 weeks and you get your new passport same day.   Of course, there is an extra fee.  I've gotten mine done like that in Philly a few times.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    vmj23vmj23 member
    thanks @lyndausvi That is very helpful. I do have a passport already, although have never used it! I will leave it as is and book in my maiden name!
  • Options
    jenni1221 said:
    thanks @lyndausvi That is very helpful. I do have a passport already, although have never used it! I will leave it as is and book in my maiden name!
    That would be the easiest thing to do.  If your only flying in the states just remember to bring the passport and do not pull out your driver's license.   Easy things to forget.

If you are going out-of-the-country you need the passport anyway.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    mlg78mlg78 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    I just changed my name on my passport in June and it took about a month to get the new one.
  • Options
    Since I had changed my driver's license, health card, etc already I had to change my passport too. It didn't take long for my new passport to come (maybe a couple weeks), but I had to re-do the whole application for the name change (couldn't just do a renewal, even though my other passport hadn't expired yet).
  • Options
    majesty318majesty318 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Answer First Comment
    edited July 2014
    We are leaving tonight for our honeymoon (yay!) - 2 months after the wedding. I booked everything in my maiden name. And it's a good thing I did, because our marriage license got lost and we just received the certificate today. I would have been totally screwed if I had booked in married name and then couldn't change my name due to no certificate!
  • Options
    vmj23vmj23 member
    @majesty318 - where are you going?? Have fun!!!!
  • Options
    @jenni1221, we went to Sicily, Venice, and on a Mediterranean cruise which stopped in Croatia, Turkey, and Greece. It was AMAZING!!
  • Options
    @jenni1221, we went to Sicily, Venice, and on a Mediterranean cruise which stopped in Croatia, Turkey, and Greece. It was AMAZING!!
    @majesty318 sounds awsome, something i was looking into - we STILL haven't booked our trip.  What cruise line did you go on?   
  • Options
    We went on Celebrity. They are great! I also really like Royal Caribbean.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards