Attire & Accessories Forum

The Great Spanx Debate

I went to check out the spanx website over the weekend to order a pair or two.

I started looking around and checking the different options out and paid particular attention to those with "Best Seller" designated on them. However, the reviews on so many of them are very poor.

Do any of you have experience and have some pointers for me? I'm 5'3" and more closely an apple shape than anything else. I have some considerable pudge going on although I'm working on it! (Don't look at me that way, I really am working on it!)
*msstaticfancypants*
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: The Great Spanx Debate

• Go try things on. It's really the only way, because what works on one body may be all wrong for yours. 
    This is a crappy way to spend an afternoon, and much like squeezing on and peeling off sausage casings, but worth it.

Take a tape measure, so that you can actually measure how much of a difference each of the various types make. (I lose perspective, and just kind of look and go, oh, gawd. I look like a pudgy little woman squeezed into a toothpaste tube. Then I get cranky and weepy and go home.) 

If you don't have a tape measure, any ribbon or string will work, just mark your natural waist measurement on it, so that you have a reference point.
  • I have a maidenform slip that I like better than my spanx.  It has a snap crotch body suit under the slip.  It's not that comfy because I'm really tall, but it gets everything really smooth and the fabric is soft.  It's just not made for someone really tall--needs to be longer to be more comfy for me.  I've also done control panties with spanx over them when I really wanted to look super slim.  It worked, but it wasn't as comfy.  Both are worth it to me to look really svelte.

Here's what I have when I'm not wearing something strapless:
  • atlastmrsg - Does the maidenform roll up your legs at all or does it stay in place pretty well?

@QueerFemme - Does that one roll down? 

Maybe these don't roll at all. I'm not sure why I have it in my head that they do. 

We're going suit shopping this weekend so perhaps I can find a store that carries the spanx and will be able to try some on. I hear the weather is going to be on the warm side so this should be a delightful way to pass the time. 

On second though, maybe I won't try any on...
    *msstaticfancypants*
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • atlastmrsg - Does the maidenform roll up your legs at all or does it stay in place pretty well?

@QueerFemme - Does that one roll down? 

Maybe these don't roll at all. I'm not sure why I have it in my head that they do. 

We're going suit shopping this weekend so perhaps I can find a store that carries the spanx and will be able to try some on. I hear the weather is going to be on the warm side so this should be a delightful way to pass the time. 

On second though, maybe I won't try any on...
    Since it doesn't have leg holes--skirt slip not shorts--you won't get rolling up at leg holes.  Over the course of the night, I check it a few times to make sure it hasn't ridden up.  It hasn't been a problem, it's just getting it pulled down and smoothed after you pee.
  • On me, anything with an inseam of only a couple inches or less always rolls up. Always. No matter what size, what brand, etc. But if it comes down over past the biggest part of my thighs, only a couple inches above my knees, I'm good to go. In terms of rolling down at the waist, I find that they're good unless you try to pull them up higher than they're supposed to go. If you pull a regular-height waist up a couple inches higher, it's going to roll down. So get a high-waisted one if you want that. Personally, I LOVE the high-waisted spanx shorts...it goes up literally underneath my bra band, and down past mid-thigh, smoothes everything out perfectly.
  • I will never buy a fat squeezy thing without it having a crotch opening. This opening is a wonderful addition to the design, because if you're wearing this under item all day pulling it up and down is a pain, especially if you have a little extra to squeeze in these undergarments like I do...

My favorite of these is the one that goes from bra strap to 4 inches above the knee. I do get a little roll down at the top, but I just make sure it's tucked under the bra strap and that does okay. My favorite part is the thigh slimming without the weird bulge created when the fabric stops. I don't want my fat squished up or down, I want it squished in. I don't wear them to lose a couple sizes, but just to smooth everything out.

Good luck hunting.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards