Canada-Ontario

Should I hire a certified wedding planner?

I have noticed that there are two types of wedding planner certifications out there and I was wondering if one certification was better than the other and if it mattered to any other brides?

My fiancé and I are getting married next August and we have decided to hire a wedding planner to help us cope with all the nitty gritty details. We (me) are currently on the hunt to find the perfect planner that will help us take this overwhelming feeling of “too much information” off our hands and help us plan and make sure our day runs smoothly.

We are having a large wedding (about 300) with many guests flying in from overseas, so we want to ensure that it is an event to remember, memorable and of course, within budget. All my friends who are married planned their own weddings but with mine and my fiance’s schedules, we thought it best to get help from a professional.

There are so many event planners out there. Does anyone recommend any? What criteria did you look for and most importantly, which designation mattered more to you? The Certified Wedding Planner (CWP) designation from the US or the Certified Wedding Coordinator Designation from the Wedding Planners Institute of Canada? Does the designation even make a difference?

Any help, tips or advise would be so helpful! Many Thanks.

Re: Should I hire a certified wedding planner?

• Morning!

We hired a wedding planner that was certified by the Wedding Planners Institute of Canada. There was no real reason behind it but I also prefer getting someone certified in Canada. Think of it like a teacher - a teacher from the US can't just come to Canada to teach, they first have to get the stamp of approval from the College of Teachers in Canada. You want to make sure they are up to standard!

We just got married this past Saturday and had a 350 person wedding. Many were also from overseas and our wedding coordinator did an amazing job. She also had 2 assistants for the day which helped out tremendously. We had the Day-Of package which meant that she started working with us about 2-3 months prior to the wedding to ensure we were on track. 

I knew she was organized when I first met her as she had already made notes with questions to ask us. She was quick to respond to emails and even responded to one 6 months prior to our wedding while she was on a trip to Japan!!! That is important - depending how you want to communicate with your coordinator, you need to set expectations with how quick they will reply. 
    She was personable and very friendly. Understanding and I didn't feel like she judged us. She also has a finance background so I knew she'd be good with numbers. 

Her name is Tiffany Lue and her website is: www.tiffanyevents.ca (still work in progress)
    Email her at info@tiffanyevents.ca !!
  • highly suggest it! one of the best wedding decisions we made :)
    Orly Kahn *Makeup Artist* www.orlykahn.carbonmade.com
  • I hired a wedding planner, Natasha from Events by Natasha and it was the best decision I made. It really helps to hire a professional for your wedding. I chose to have a full coordination package, because I felt it would be easier and help me with my busy schedule. It is priced at 10% of our budget, but it is well worth it as if I did not hire her I would have been stressed out to the max!!!!!!!
    If you are looking for a great wedding planner who is passionate about what she does
    www.eventsbynatasha.ca
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards