Wedding Invitations & Paper
Options

Marriage License?????

Soooooo, who here can tell me how the process works for getting the marriage license? Do we go to the court house? If so, do we have to go to the court house in the county we are getting married?? We need to get ours! Thanks!

Re: Marriage License?????

• Options
    Definitely check with your state/county. Ours has no waiting period but is only good for ten days.
  • Options

It's not the courthouse in every state. In some locations, it's the county clerk.  Normally, you have to get the license in any county in the state in which you are getting married.  It doesn't necessarily have to be in the county you are getting married. As long as you get married in the state in which the license was issued, you are fine.

But, yes, you need to check with your local laws.

• Options
    Every state has different laws.  You must check with yours.  You can look it up on the internet.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    You must have your birth certificate, passport, and social security card. You must also go for a routine physical and have a blood test for STIs. You must pass an eye sight test and must be able to name all the capitals of the USA. Kidding. Google and find out the process for your county & state.
  • Options
    Google it or ask someone who got married in the area that you are looking to get married what the process was.

Every state is different.

• Options
    This varies by state. Your county website should have the info. 

In NY, we have to go to the town hall with our birth certificates and licenses. 
  • Options
    This varies by state. In CT you must get your marriage license in the town where you are having the ceremony. You do not need a blood test and you only need one form of government issued photo ID. This is done at the city hall. As you can see from the responses, it is different everywhere. Either Google the requirements for your particular state or call the town hall.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    http://www.usmarriagelaws.com/

Click your state and voila!

• Options
    You must have your birth certificate, passport, and social security card. You must also go for a routine physical and have a blood test for STIs. You must pass an eye sight test and must be able to name all the capitals of the USA. Kidding. Google and find out the process for your county & state.
    LMAO I was reading this and was like "Whoah!  Some states make it tough, eh?"  I'd flunk cuz I wear glasses ;)
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options

Like others said, definitely check with state & county where your wedding will be. Requirements will vary greatly by state and can also vary by county.

I got married in different state than I live. I had to apply for the license in that county (for mine, the marriage had to take place in the same county as application).  They had a separate Marriage License office that I needed to go to, so no courthouse.  They had a waiting period, so I had to travel early to apply for license 3 days before my wedding. They only needed one of us there in person to apply, so just I went (that way DH didn't need to take as much time off work), but I had to bring birth certificate and photo ID for both of us (I took his passport, so he still had his drivers license for traveling). 

Some places have no waiting period, some require counseling, some require blood tests... it depends on where you are getting married, so you have to check for your location.

• Options
    We went and got our marriage license today! We just needed our drivers license =] Thanks all for the input!
  • Options
    We went and got our marriage license today! We just needed our drivers license =] Thanks all for the input!

We got ours yesterday, and that's all we needed, too! Just showed up at the county clerks office and got it done super fast! :)
  • Options
    In my area I know I have to provide some official document with my SS number and recent photo (military ID, Passport, SS card, birth certificate) along with driver's license. But each state and county has its own procedure so check on your county's website.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards