Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

Reception dinner drama...need advice!

My fiancee and I have been dealing with some drama surrounding the rehearsal dinner. bth of our parents are divorced which has also made traditional things a bit more difficult. The grooms mother did not originally show interest or willingness to contribute to the rehearsal, so we began planning on having it at the restaurant I work at. I figured that would be a way to get good food and I could easily hammer out the details with the owners. However, since the planning process has began the mother of the bride has offered to pay for the rehearsal dinner, and it has quickly progressed from there. 

She cannot seem to find tme to sit down and discuss details with us and it is creating more stress than the actual wedding itself. Her budget has changed several times, and she is always asking the same questions over and over again. The rehearsal dinner is quickly changing from a relaxing night to hang out with those closest to us before the wedding to a stressful event which has us all on edge. I realize that tradition and etiquette allow the grooms family to plan and throw the rehearsal dinner, but since we are also paying for half now I am not sure how to handle this. I need advice on how to deal with the situation and maybe just her in general.  

Re: Reception dinner drama...need advice!

• I would decline the offer and host the RD yourself, at the restaurant you work at. That seems easiest to me, especially if the budget keep changing. If would be awful to plan the dinner expecting it to be paid for, and then find out the budget changed again and you are on your own or left with a bigger bill than planned.
  • Honestly, if you and your FI were fine and able to pay for the entire RD yourself prior to your FMIL offering to help then I would tell her thanks for the offer but FI and I can take care of it.

• If you were originally planning to host it yourself before MOB stepped in, I would go back to that. Thank her for her offer, but let her know you've decided to host it yourselves. That way, you know exactly the budget, what you want to do and there's no back and forth.

That should alleviate all MOB-added RD planning related stress.
    *********************************************************************************

• jonejm06 said:

My fiancee and I have been dealing with some drama surrounding the rehearsal dinner. bth of our parents are divorced which has also made traditional things a bit more difficult. The grooms mother did not originally show interest or willingness to contribute to the rehearsal, so we began planning on having it at the restaurant I work at. I figured that would be a way to get good food and I could easily hammer out the details with the owners. However, since the planning process has began the mother of the bride has offered to pay for the rehearsal dinner, and it has quickly progressed from there. 

She cannot seem to find tme to sit down and discuss details with us and it is creating more stress than the actual wedding itself. Her budget has changed several times, and she is always asking the same questions over and over again. The rehearsal dinner is quickly changing from a relaxing night to hang out with those closest to us before the wedding to a stressful event which has us all on edge. I realize that tradition and etiquette allow the grooms family to plan and throw the rehearsal dinner, but since we are also paying for half now I am not sure how to handle this. I need advice on how to deal with the situation and maybe just her in general.  

JIC

Nobody is expected to pay for any of your wedding except for you and your fiance.  It's lovely that the bride's mom has now offered, but any monetary contribution comes with strings attached.  Plan for the wedding, including rehearsal dinner, that you want, if she decides to contribute, great. . . if not, no harm.

• Just pay for the RD yourselves. That will solve the problem. 

And no one is required or expected to pay for any parts of the wedding. 
  • jacques27jacques27 member
    First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited August 2014
    jonejm06 said:

FIFY.  It may be tradition, but it's not "etiquette" for the grooms family to plan and throw the rehearsal dinner. 

Now, I'm not big on tradition (as evidenced by the poster in my office that reads "TRADITION - Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid.").  One should not do anything they can't afford, including having wedding rehearsals, ceremonies, and receptions.  No one else HAS to pay for YOUR party.  It's nice that she offered, but she clearly doesn't have the follow through and is causing you added stress.  Plus, all money you didn't earn yourselves has strings attached - maybe not immediately or directly, but I can almost guarantee it will come up eventually.

So, plan what you can afford.  Pay for it in full yourselves.  If she ends up coming up with some money, she can reimburse you rather than paying the venue directly and then you can put that money towards a down payment on a house or into a retirement account.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards