Wedding Etiquette Forum

Say what?! Three weddings?

Sorry, ran across this gem regarding unplugged weddings and inadvertently ran across this bride who had three weddings so "no one was left out." Thought I'd share. Sorry if its been posted already. I was shocked.... http://www.nydailynews.com/life-style/brides-don-instagram-twitter-weddings-article-1.1846998

Re: Say what?! Three weddings?

• Say what?

"The key to getting guests to turn off their phones without blowing their tops is to keep them informed about your social-media policy early and often. Put a bulletin on your wedding website, add a line to the invitation and consider having your officiant make an announcement at the beginning of the service."

What the fuck?

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • So many gems!
  • I think it's great that all of the comments on that article are against doing this to your guests.
  • Wow I didn't even read the comments. I know what I'll be reading with my morning coffee tomorrow I
  • Say what?

"The key to getting guests to turn off their phones without blowing their tops is to keep them informed about your social-media policy early and often. Put a bulletin on your wedding website, add a line to the invitation and consider having your officiant make an announcement at the beginning of the service."

What the fuck?
    I can't speak for anybody else, but nothing makes me happier than constantly being treated like a child.

• sarahuflsarahufl member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited August 2014
    First- three weddings? That is just absurd. then, this- "Kimberly Burgess, 22, said she just wanted her guest to be present — and not distracted by Twitter, Facebook and Instagram" there were tons of photos of my wedding on social media. But most people took the photos during the ceremony and put them on FB/IG after leaving church. I've said it before, I LOVED looking at my wedding photos immediately after the reception!
  • I'm still stuck on the three weddings because of her divorced parents.  We managed to get my divorced parents through one wedding and one reception.  And when my sister got married, all four sets of parents (2 hers, 2 his) came together and were just fine.  Is it that hard to start with the assumption that grown ups can be grown ups for 12 hours plus a dinner the night before and then let anyone who is unhappy with those parameters decide not to participate?
    Anniversary

• I usually only snap a few pictures at weddings: groom waiting for bride, bride walks past me down aisle, the kiss. If I ever was invited to be "fully present" and unplug at a wedding, I'm pretty sure I'd get so annoyed that I would take pictures constantly and possibly video the whole thing from my phone. Either that or sit there and play Candy Crush.
  • I am okay with guests photos (they are actually some of my favorite from my wedding), but I also think there need to be some rules or etiquette to it. I'm not sure there is a polite way to relay these rules to your guests, though.  It should be common sense, but often isn't.

1. Guests should not get in the way of professional photographer.  Bride/Groom are paying a lot of money to get those perfect photos and the pro will likely take better shots than guests, so don't block them from doing their job. This means stay out of aisle during ceremony, don't stand up to take photos during key moments (like first kiss), and this also leads to #2...

2. Guests should not use flash photography!  Most (although not all) venues will be lit well enough that you can get sufficiently good photos without a flash. But, the last thing a bride/groom needs when trying to be in the moment and say vows is to have constant blinding flashes going off in their faces.  And flashes will often ruin other photos by washing them out, which is really bad and hard to fix on a white dress.  So, that unneeded flash may ruin the other photos that could have otherwise been great. And that expensive pro photog I mentioned earlier, could get in major trouble if they miss that big first kiss photo because is was ruined by someone else's camera flash.

3. Bride/groom should be the first person to post photos of themselves on social media. At a wedding I attended this weekend, there were many photos posted online pre-wedding.  Lots of pics of girls getting ready, doing hair & makeup... but everyone was very good and bride was absent from all the getting ready until after the wedding.  When posting the hair/makeup photos, it's easy to include those ones too, but bride probably wants to keep her look secret until she walks down the aisle. And even the ceremony photos, I believe that the bride/groom should be the first to post their picture.  They could want to keep it private.  Once they start posting wedding photos, then I think it is probably okay to start posting your own photos from the event, but let them announce it and show themselves off to the world first... that's their right. At this weekend's wedding, the bride said she was shocked that there weren't any photos posted an hour after ceremony... I told her that most people are probably waiting for her to post first, which is the way it should be. Of course, 5 minutes later someone else posted and that opened the flood gates. 

• You know, I can't stand my ex. In fact, I loathe him with the fire of a thousand burning suns. That said, I'd much rather attend a wedding where he is present than attend a "fake" wedding redo simply because the B&G feel I can't be around him for longer than a nanosecond. That's rather insulting, as I always conduct myself like an adult.
  • Do what you want with photos as a guest as long as you don't jump in front of the photographer and you SILENCE YOUR PHOOOOOONE.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• The three weddings thing is insaaaaaane! And it sounds like the legal wedding was the third one if they're listing it right in the article.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards