Snarky Brides

Who wants to give me some dating advice?

Ok, so I know dating isnt a topic that comes up on TK often since the women here are usually married or soon to be married, but I'm the odd ball. Here's the quick version of my story for the ppl who dont know it....I was engaged back in November. My fiance and I dated for 5 years and had a son b4 he proposed. After proposing and in the middle of planning our wedding he decided that I was not the woman he wanted to marry and we separated. I was devastated but the ladies on the snarky boards helped me through. Now after months of prayer, meditation, therapy, and rediscovering myself and my happiness I am finally dating again but Im a little lost about what I should be looking for and expecting from a guy. Part of my issue in my old relationship was that I did not set expectations for how I wanted to be treated. I basically just took whatever he gave me and delt with it. Im trying not to make that mistake again. So I figured, why not go back to the TK and ask these ladies, they obviously know what to look for in a great guy. So here's my dating question....

Ive been dating a guy for a couple of months. I really like him and I know he really likes me. We talk daily. We live 2 hrs away but he makes it a point to see me at least every other week. He cares about me and is really kind to my son. The only issue I have is that he has never given me a gift. No flowers, a candy bar, a sweet card or anything sweet or sentimental. I had a small gift delivered to his job and he loved it, but he hasnt reciprocated in the gift giving department. On the one hand I feel like he is a great guy that shows me he cares in other ways and a physical gift isnt important, but on the other hand im thinking that I really want a guy that will go out of his way to do sweet things for me. Am I being shallow or is that a reasonable expectation? Do your husbands give you gifts?  Help me out here ladies. 

Re: Who wants to give me some dating advice?

• Marzipan13Marzipan13 member
    First Comment 5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited August 2014
    raeah219 said:
    Ive been dating a guy for a couple of months. I really like him and I know he really likes me. We talk daily. We live 2 hrs away but he makes it a point to see me at least every other week. He cares about me and is really kind to my son. The only issue I have is that he has never given me a gift. No flowers, a candy bar, a sweet card or anything sweet or sentimental. I had a small gift delivered to his job and he loved it, but he hasnt reciprocated in the gift giving department. On the one hand I feel like he is a great guy that shows me he cares in other ways and a physical gift isnt important, but on the other hand im thinking that I really want a guy that will go out of his way to do sweet things for me. Am I being shallow or is that a reasonable expectation? Do your husbands give you gifts?  Help me out here ladies. 

If you can surmise the bolded without him ever having given you a gift, a gift isn't truly that important, is it?

My fiance isn't big on giving gifts to me either - I don't know if it just doesn't cross his mind, or if he just doesn't want to.  I've given him more little gifts than he's given me throughout our relationship.  The only time he'll give me a physical gift is on Christmas - the only one other time he gave me a gift was when he proposed and gave me my e-ring.

Maybe it has a lot to do with him living 2 hours away.  Maybe he's just not a sentimental guy (in a gift-giving way).  As I said before, if you can tell that he's sweet, caring, etc., but he's never given you a gift, does it lessen the fact that he's sweet and caring towards you?

ETA: I can understand how you feel - sometimes it's just nice to receive flowers (or something).  I would just hang on and not get touchy about it.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Mr. Bean Flipping the Bird
  • flantastic said: Maybe he just doesn't know yet that this is important to you and wouldn't think of it because it isn't important to him.

So do I tell him? I feel like I cant really say "Gifts are my love language" without sounding completely materialistic 
  • Thanks so much for your honesty @londonlisa I really appreciate your perspective and I really dont want to push away good guy for an immature and selfish reason
  • I'm glad you got into a situation that makes you MUCH happier than the last one. You deserved better than that.

I'm also glad that you're looking for standards to set in regards to how you are treated. That is very important.

However, whether or not a person gives you gifts as a show of affection is not something to dictate the relationship by, and not a realistic standard to set.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• tammym1001tammym1001 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited August 2014
    My DH doesn't buy gifts. He gives me money on my birthday and Christmas so I can go buy my own presents. I wrap them and put them under the tree and open them on Christmas. LOL He's just not a gift giver and that's ok. There are an awful lot of other things that he does for me that mean so much more than him picking something up from the store and bringing it to me. With that being said, if having someone give you little gifts to show they care is important enough to you that this is bothering you, then you probably need to be with someone who will do that for you. You need to find someone who fulfills your needs in a relationship or else you will become resentful that he doesn't do what you want. ETA: I swear I had paragraphs.
  • Gifts are a nice gesture, but just because someone doesn't give you a gift doesn't mean he doesn't care for you.  I've been with people who tell me they cared but never showed it.  Actions speak louder than words, and maybe in your case, his thoughtful actions speak louder than the materialism is a gift.  He probably feels like he SHOWS you that he cares--that he doesn't need to send you something.  I've seen plenty of friends get showered with gifts and their relationships went no where, because it was all materialistic--they felt lonely despite all these gifts because in reality it their partner's substitute for being there emotionally. 

It sounds like you've only just begun dating, too.  I would try not to rush things and take things literally one day at a time and have no expectations.  He treats you well, and he treats your son well. Take it from there and enjoy it!

When I met my fiance, neither of us was looking to be in a relationship but we somehow started dating and things slowly developed.  I don't think he gave me anything until our first Valentine's Day together, which was about 3 months after we started seeing each other.  Even now that we've been together for almost 3 years, gifts are literally only given on our birthdays or our anniversary of when we started dating or Valentine's Day or Christmas.  Every so often he will surprise me at work when I'm working night shift with a snack or something, and I love the surprise behind it, but I never expect it.  He shows me every day that he loves and cares for me in the ways he is always trying to make me smile or laugh, or when I'll be in the other room and he'll just come in and ask me for a kiss or a hug. He does these things every day. He shows me he loves me, and it's not through gift giving. 

I think it sounds like you've got a nice man here, so I wouldn't give up on the situation yet just because he hasn't presented you with a gift.  Some of the best gifts aren't anything tangible. Good luck!! :)
  • Ooooo, I can relate to this. My FI is horrible with gifts. Horrible! Know what he gave me for our first valentine's day together? Space Invaders wall clings. I wish I was kidding! He was so proud of those silly things!

I'm a romantic. I always thought I wanted a guy who brought me flowers just because, who sent me little "I love you" texts for no reason, and so on. In the early days, I'd swallow my disappointment and eventually became a bit resentful. I'm not proud of that.

Eventually, what I came to realize is how much he tells me he cares, just not in the traditional romantic sense. He goes to the store for something and brings home half and half because he knows I love coffee. He rubs my shoulders if I seem down or stressed. He'll run my daughter somewhere if I'm still working and she needs a ride. All these things were there, I just didn't see them got what they were. Now I do.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • A book that I think helps most folks, in relationships or otherwise, is The Five Love Languages. The premise is that there are five basic ways to give and receive love (or, really, appreciation) -- language/verbal affirmation, touch/physical affirmation, acts of service, and quality time. Most of us give in the way we would most like to receive. The problem is we don't always understand or appreciate when affection is given to us that is not in our primary language -- if you like to receive verbal affirmation, but your partner keeps doing the dishes, you might not even register that your partner is giving you affection. All this to say, the gifts are only important if that is your primary language and you are not feeling appreciated because you are not receiving them.
  • I'm kind of a lurker here but I've been with my fiance for 12 years and I've spent 12 of those years telling him I wished he gave me thoughtful things more often.. I know that it's just not his thing and I know he obviously loves me, but it is a bummer to watch women get random "just because I love you" flowers, notes or cards from their S.O.

However, there are a million other things that he does for me that I love and appreciate and if he doesn't think to grab me a bottle of wine on his way home after I've had a rough day unless I tell him.,.I think the important thing is he'll do it if I ask him.  

I definitely wouldn't put so much stock in the gifts if he seems great in other areas!

• CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited August 2014
    After 38 years of marriage, material gifts mean little to me.  DH and I rarely exchange them.  If I see something I really want (rarely), I buy it. I had a crappy week, and I bought myself a silver necklace I had been thinking about.  Dates on the calender just aren't important to us anymore.  We spend our money on beautiful experiences, now.  (Cruises around the world.)
    Everybody has their own take on this.  My mother was obsessed with gifts.  Buying them for her was difficult and frustrating.

It is very early for you to jump into a serious relationship.  You are dtill walking wounded, whether you realize it, or not.  Give yourself a lot of time.  If something is meant to be, it will happen.  I met DH when we were 15.  We dated and separated senior year.  I fell in love with Mr. Wrong.  At age 25, I looked DH up, and we got married a few months later.
    Meanwhile, enjoy your new life.  Don't get discouraged if you have some roadblocks along the way.  God has a plan for you.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • I can relate; I super sentimental so I love getting little gifts that I can save and look back on. FI on the other hand just sees it as clutter. It took me a while to realize I didn't need the gifts to see he cares. Now it's the little things like him making me coffee were morning, or going with me to get my nails done because I had a crappy week that matter.

Occasionally he pops up with a random gift; never anything sentimental, but definitely that shows he knows me. Like the bandaids that said "that wall came out of nowhere" and "the floor hates me".
  • MegEn1MegEn1 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited August 2014
    My FI lived about 2 hours away, and he's the same - not much into gift giving except when the occasion calls for it.

Some people just don't express themselves that way. While it seems like you're looking for some physical THING that proves he's the man you think he is, I think gift-giving is not an accurate indicator of what you're really looking for. Is he good to you, does appreciate you, and does he respect you? If you can answer 'yes' to those questions, you don't need any random gifts to prove it.

Achievement Unlocked: Survived Your Wedding! 
  • I think a good thing to note about the Love Languages is that it also gives you a little bit of perspective about HIS love language. Analyze the ways he shows you affection, figure out what HIS language is, and then you'll be able to see the ways he expresses his affection for you. All of a sudden you might realize, Oh my god, that's why he's always offering foot massages! Or why he is always telling you you're beautiful. Or whatever the other 4 remaining languages are.

You can, of course, start showing him love in the way that he is most "attuned" as well. If he asks about the change of pace, you can always mention the book/article, which is a sly way of getting him to think about what your type might be. But I think your instinct is correct--you don't want to be all "My love language is BUY ME THINGS" (definitely not only 2 months in!).

Good luck. He sounds like he is kind to you, which is probably the most important thing.
    This baby knows exactly how I feel
  • My dating advice for you is simple: don't! Earlier this year you were engaged to a man you had been with for 5 years. Now you're 2 months into something new? Why. What's the rush. Give yourself a chance to grow from your experience. And why are you dating someone far away? I know long distance often works, but rebound long distance is always a red flag for me because it's too easy to build life into a fantasy when someone isn't there all the time.
  • Thats not what i asked Starmoon44 but thanks anyway
  • I didnt say I was marrying this man tomorrow. I said I was dating. I went through a lot of therapy. I did my work on me. I am ready to date. Thanks for the concern from the ladies who are cautioning me against dating "so soon" but for me I know Im ready 
  • STARMOON44STARMOON44 member
    First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited August 2014
    Sure you are. You can't handle that he hasn't given you a gift in 2 months and you're introduced your son to him already ( srsly? Why does you son need to know this guy? Just to make life even more confusing for him). Yup. Totes ready to date. A few months of therapy definitely qualifies as lots.

Sometimes the answer is you are asking the wrong question.
  • KatieinBkln that is exactly right on the love languages -- it makes you more attuned in all of your relationships (even in your friendships or family relationships) to what people around you respond to.

And the gifts language struck me as odd at first, but we aren't talking diamonds or pearls, we're talking small gifts taking on large importance -- remembering your boyfriend's favorite candy and getting him some, bringing your friend a coffee at work when you know they're having a rough day, remembering your mom loves elephants and giving her some little elephant bobble, that type of thing
  • And on the ready front --  you are the only one who knows when you are ready. And, realistically, you may date before you are really ready, but sometimes that's part of the getting ready process as long as you don't get too committed too quickly and are honest with the other person, it's really ok. 
  • Sorry for slightly resurrecting this!

I don't think there's anything wrong with saying to your guy, "hey, I found this quiz online that tells you how you like to receive affection, want to take it and compare." However, I wouldn't do that unless things start getting a little bit serious (exclusive or calling each other bf/gf, meeting family/friends, etc). 

My fiance and I struggled a bit at the beginning because I'm not good at accepting compliments and (as I've now learned) I wasn't very good at giving them. But after we took the quiz and read the results, he's realized that I don't need words of affirmation in the same way he does. Meanwhile, he realized that he needs to put his phone away to give me genuine quality time. But as PPs said, it also helps because I know when he's complimenting me that he is doing it to show his love and that I need to recognize and reciprocate.

Good Luck!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • After only reading the OP, I was ready to jump in with advice regarding the 5 Love Languages, but it looks like others have already done that. It really is amazing. My dad is definitely an Acts of Service guy, mom is Quality Time, I'm Physical Touch. Baby sister is Gifts, so I send her care packages to college, full of stupid things like bags of Skittles and rubber duckies. I'm pretty sure when I started dating my boyfriend, I told him that my Love Language was Physical Touch, described the rest to him and asked him what he thought his was. We've been together for 6 years and I still don't know what his Primary is because his top 3 all seem pretty close; Words of Affirmation, Physical Touch, and Quality Time. So, along with touching his leg when we're sitting next to each other on the couch, I try to tell him he's handsome regularly, and spend good time together, but having a guy with a Primary LL sure would help!
  • Sure you are. You can't handle that he hasn't given you a gift in 2 months and you're introduced your son to him already ( srsly? Why does you son need to know this guy? Just to make life even more confusing for him). Yup. Totes ready to date. A few months of therapy definitely qualifies as lots. Sometimes the answer is you are asking the wrong question.
    This is in no way your decision to make. 

How much time someone waits to date is only something they can decide.
    When a child meets an SO is again something that only the parents can decide. 

My FI's daughter was 4 when I came around. She had never met a single woman in FI's life. She met me two weeks after we started dating. I wasn't "Daddy's girlfriend" but he also didn't hide me from her. Her mother met me as well -as both parents should be considered in this situation. 
  • I think after only a couple a months a lot of people feel that is to soon soon for gift giving. And with only being able to see him every other week that probably slows things down a bit more. I know my now husband wasn't giveing me any gifts a few months in, and I wasn't give him any either. The first times we did were at the obvious dates like Christmas, and birthday. He was a month late giving me my first birthday present too. He's not the best timing wise when it comes to gifts but I love him and he's the best! So don't sweat the gift giving thing. It doesn't mean anything logevity wise.
  • I think after only a couple a months a lot of people feel that is to soon soon for gift giving. And with only being able to see him every other week that probably slows things down a bit more. I know my now husband wasn't giveing me any gifts a few months in, and I wasn't give him any either. The first times we did were at the obvious dates like Christmas, and birthday. He was a month late giving me my first birthday present too. He's not the best timing wise when it comes to gifts but I love him and he's the best! So don't sweat the gift giving thing. It doesn't mean anything logevity wise.
    Yes, but if her primary love language is Gifts, I think he needs to know that and needs to take it into account and give her gifts.  Nothing big, mind you.  A single flower handed over when picking her up for a date.  Her favorite flavor of Slurpee when he stops for gas at a 7-11 when she's in the car with him.  An origami crane made from the dinner receipt.  A DVD of a movie they discussed bought from the $2 bin.

But he can't do any of these things if he doesn't know that's how she understands and best receives Love.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards