Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Build Your Own Burger Bar

Hey ladies (and gents), Question of the day. FI and I were thinking instead of a sit down dinner, we'd do a build your own burger bar with all kinds of condiments and toppings. We have... Very immature taste buds to say the least. I don't even like real spaghetti sauce, I use a can of tomato soup on my spaghetti and I put ketchup on everything. Sorry, went off on a tangent there. My point was - would you find that weird? I've done some lurking and haven't found anything on the burger topic specifically. A bit of background into our "vision" for the day (I've heard that plays into what you should serve for dinner). We want to get married in a church, and with an indoor reception. I want a pretty dress, not too simple. As people, we're very laid back. An entire 5 course meal doesn't suit our personalities. Am I wrong to think the food should match more our style? Thanks ladies. I always appreciate your comments and advice. ETA: I can't get my formatting to work. Sorry!!

Re: Build Your Own Burger Bar

• So in theory, this sounds fantastic and yummy.

In reality, it may not work out that well. It can be messy and cause a huge food line back up (how many guests are you expecting?). Who would be doing the grilling? What vegetarian options would you offer?

If you're having a casual wedding, casual food is fine. But for a more formal indoor reception, I wouldn't be expecting burgers really (and I love burgers). There's a happy medium between 5 course meal and burgers and fries. Have you chatted with caterers? The food can match your style, but remember you want your guests to be happy with their choices. I don't love a couple of our menu selections, but I know they're popular choices for our region/families. 

I like the idea, but I think it's much better suited to a small backyard wedding or late night snack than the main meal of a big indoor reception. 
  • We were going to do this for DD's wedding 9 1/2 years ago.  We found a caterer who could set it up and we were going to run 2 lines.  This was for a July wedding.  Then.....DD ended up needing health insurance ASAP so they moved the wedding up to February (in Michigan) and the grill idea had to go.

I think if you had a really formal venue and a very formal feel it would be out of place but if you are going for a more laid back vibe you could make it work.  You definitely need a vegetarian option as PDHK mentioned.

Have you contacted any caterers to see if they can do this for you?

• Why not have your apps represent your food tastes?  You can have mini burgers, small cones of fries, boneless chicken wings on a stick (kind of like a lollipop look), small potato skins, etc, etc.

I get what you are going for but your food should not just be about what you like to eat on a regular basis but it should also match the formality of your event.  Burgers and such for the main course is fine but I would expect that in a backyard setting or in a pavilion in a park, not in an indoor venue and you in fancy dress.  KWIM?

So you need to have a nice compromise and I think having the apps showcase you and your FI "style," so to speak, is a great way to include what you like into your wedding but still being able to provide a meal that meets the formality of your day.

• lyndausvilyndausvi mod
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited May 2014
    I've been to a wedding where they have a slider bar (in addition to other stuff). It was a hit. They had beef, chicken breast, mahi-mahi and veggie burgers. Then they had a ton of condiments. Mushrooms, tomato, lettuce, onions, 5-7 different cheeses, normal ketchup, 2-3 different mustard, mayo (regular and spicy), different pickles, mango salsa and a ton more stuff. It was a big hit. I say go for it, but have the different options of proteins and have a lot of fun topping, not just your standard tomato and yellow mustard.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • I would expect something a bit nicer than a plain burger as an entree at a formal wedding. Our swanky company Christmas party a few years ago had the fancy slider bar and it was a big hit. Kobe beef, turkey, and black bean burger patties with things like red pepper aioli, roasted garlic ketchup, and gourmet cheeses on fresh brioche buns. I think that would be a great idea for hors d'oeuvres, or added to other stations (pasta, carved meat, baked potatoes) as part of the entree. With stations you can keep your own plate as simple as you want, while your guests can gussy theirs up to suit their taste. Otherwise I think you should scale back the formality of your dress and setting to match the casual food.

• ElcaBElcaB member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I love the idea. Will it be catered, or are you planning to DIY food? Also, how many guests do you have?
  • Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    I rather like this idea although I agree with PPs that it can be messy and slow.  It also does seem very informal and I wouldn't do it at a formal wedding.

Rather than make it a "bar," can you set up stations that each serve one or two items that each person can go through relatively quickly?
  • Thanks for all the advice!! I'll bring it all up to FI. :)

We'd like to have it catered as we have a couple of great BBQ caterers in the area.  As for the number of guests, we have a list of about 120 right now, but we want to cut it to about 100.  We're still a while out from the date so we haven't finalized the list.

You guys are awesome!
  • ElcaBElcaB member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Sounds perfect! 

Another suggestion I have since you're getting it catered is, instead of offering a burger bar, why don't you create two specialty burgers for guests to choose from that are already prepared? 

One could be a simple LTOP and the other can be something more complex and fun, like a BBQ burger or something.

Personally, I don't mind a burger bar at a wedding because I know how to load up without spilling. But, if that's a concern you have, the above option would be perfect. 
  • I've never been to a wedding with a burger bar, but I did go to my FI's university gala (so we were in formal attire) with a burger bar. IIRC, they had kobe, turkey and black bean with different sauces (the only one I remember was a chiptole aioli which was amazing), and they had one server per station to assist. They also had a fry bar with sweet potato fries, spicy fries, curly fries, and tater tots in little cones.

It was fun to mix and match, definitely very upscale looking and I didn't feel weird eating it in a dress or anything, but we were STARVING afterwards because honestly I wasn't going to eat like...5 or 6 mini burgers even if I could mix and match.
  • I think it sounds fun, but you might want to have other options as well. Some people have mentioned having this plus other stations. If you are having a BBQ place cater, perhaps they could do barbeque chicken or something as another option? Or have a pasta station as well? I think you could definitely keep it simple and low-key, just make sure you have enough options that all your guests will find something they love.
  • I was saying I'd like that or better a taco bar lol I've been vetoed on both though.
  • Just to add...we are doing a slider bar (with ketchup, mustard, mayo, pickles, onions, cheese) with herb steak fries, with a chicken/additional side option on our buffet. Our caterer is having so much fun planning it. We are also having a reception in a barn, but it's definitely not a 'country' wedding...more just an outdoorsy/nature-y type thing. We all agreed that sliders were a better option than a full size burger, and if you dress up the side and presentation a bit (fun containers for the toppings etc) that it was perfectly fitting with our more casual vibe wedding. Of course, he will be wearing tails and my dress is quite princess-y :D I did have a bit of push-back at first for wanting 'casual' food from a couple people, but with the other, more traditional option too, it works out great!

• We are getting married out doors and we are doing a slider burger bar with a appetizer cocktail hour with chicken pot pie fritters and mac and cheese bites. We are having a casual laid back wedding with only 55 guest tho.
  • While I wouldn't choose to eat a burger while dressed nicely, if it's what's served, I'd eat it.
  • I say go for it!  We're doing a taco bar but not just the ground beef and refried beans that my mom made for me as a kid.  They're going to be high-end as far as tacos go.  We're both vegetarian and the caterer made us an ah-mazing carnitas style jackfruit taco.  We'll also have an Adobo braised beef and chili-lime chicken for the non-veggie folk.  It's your wedding.  You should have food that you love!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards