Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

Does one wear a slip with this type of gown?

I picked up this dress today, and was curious does one wear a slip with it? 
I figured if it did I could get out of having it altered. As I really just need it to be another inch off the ground.

I know it's small but so far it's the only picture I have found of it online. 
I'm going to try and upload one here as well. 

Re: Does one wear a slip with this type of gown?

• Options
    Uploaded picture. 
  • Options
    I don't know about wearing a slip, but I would definitely get your dress altered. 
  • Options
    Like a petticoat to add some fluff? No, that dress doesn't need that. Just get it hemmed.
  • Options
    I wore a slip to keep my mermaid hem full, and it accomplished the other purpose--my dress was barely long.  Just a whisper too long--we're talking maybe 3/4 an inch.  Having the slip under it fixed the issue.  
  • Options
    You don't need to wear a fuller slip to add volume, but if it's see through at all, you might want a nice, one layer silk slip.
  • Options
    I wouldn't do a slip with this one. Also, if the dress doesn't fit you properly, you'll still want it altered. A slip isn't going to fix it being too big in the waist for example.
  • Options
    Poofy slip? No. But a lady always wears a slip with dresses and skirts. They smooth lines, eliminate static (if it's a good silky slip) and prevent the sun from peeking through!
  • Options
    chasseuse said:
    Poofy slip? No. But a lady always wears a slip with dresses and skirts. They smooth lines, eliminate static (if it's a good silky slip) and prevent the sun from peeking through!
    Does not wearing slips make me a man, then?  Or just a non-classy woman?
  • Options
    chasseusechasseuse member
    5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited August 2014
    doeydo said:
    chasseuse said:
    Does not wearing slips make me a man, then?  Or just a non-classy woman?
    If I can't tell you aren't wearing a slip, then neither! If your outfit doesn't need one, if the skirt is properly lined, etc. you're golden! Unfortunately, too many women neglect to wear a slip when they really should. It's one of those things that is only noticed when it is lacking. I tend to err on the side of caution.

ETA: Most white dresses I have seen require a slip and/or a lining. For a wedding, especially if there will be any outdoor photos, I'd go with a slip, JIC.

• Options
    OK, sorry it just ruffled my feathers a bit since I haven't worn a slip in ages, though I always check myself in the mirror and wear seamless and skin toned garments when necessary.
  • Options
    doeydo said:
    OK, sorry it just ruffled my feathers a bit since I haven't worn a slip in ages, though I always check myself in the mirror and wear seamless and skin toned garments when necessary.
    No worries! I'm about to head back to school and my teacher voice came out a bit. It just seems so many women fail to notice whether a slip is necessary or not. Sometimes it's just easier to always go with one than worry.
  • Options
    I have a poofy dress, and never even thought about a slip.  Since I don't wear dresses in my daily life, it never even crossed my mind.   Since I'm getting my dress fitted today, I guess I'll ask them about it.   
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards