Wedding Invitations & Paper

Invitation Wording

Hello fellow brides,

I'm not sure what the wording should be for our invitations. FI's grandparents left him some money after their passing to help pay for the wedding, but FI's parents themselves are not hosting. Everything besides that gift is being paid for by us. It is also a very casual wedding, at the backyard of a wooded cabin we are renting, with the reception to be held in the same place. Here is what the default of the invitations we are getting says. Corrections and suggestions are welcome, appreciated and needed!

mr. and mrs. father
along with mr. and mrs. father
cordially invite you to celebrate the
joy of marriage between
bride middle last
and
groom middle last

saturday august the twenty-third
two thousand fourteen
at half past four in the afternoon

creekside cabin
12345 river drive
Town, CA. 12345

Re: Invitation Wording

• CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited June 2014
    You are hosting your own wedding.  This is the traditional wording.  Please change your personal  information on your post for internet security!

The pleasure of your company is requested
    at the marriage of
    Bride's Full Name
    and
    Groom's Full Name

Saturday, the twenty-third of August
    two thousand fourteen
    at half after four o'clock

Creekside Cabin
    12345 River Drive
    Town, California

Reception to follow

The parents names do not appear on the invitation unless they are hosting.  The invitation iis a simple note from the hosts to the guests, giving the essential information  of who, what when and where.  It is not a family tree.  It does not honor anyone except the guest who receives it.
    When the couple is hosting their own wedding, the passive voice is used.  The bride and groom do not directly invite people to their own wedding.
    Your phrasing does not make it clear that you are inviting guests to your wedding.  It could be interpreted as an invitation to the reception only, or to a vow renewal.  Non-traditional wording is fine as long as it does the job, but "celebrate the joy of marriage" does not.  Traditional wording is understood by everyone.
    No abbreviations are allowed except for Mr., Mrs. or Ms.  You must write out your state name in full.  Zip codes are only for the outer envelope, and should not be on the invitation itself.
    Is your reception in the same place as your ceremony?  If it is, then you put "Reception to follow."
    The formality of your wedding is indicated by the design of your invitations (lots of color, woodsy designs?), not by the wording.
    Here is a non-traditional option:

Together with their families
    Bride's Full Name
    and
    Groom's Full Name
    request the pleasure of your company
    as they are united in marriage
    (etc.)

or

Together with their families
    Bride's Full Name
    and
    Groom's Full Name
    invite you to their wedding
    (etc.)

httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Thank you so much! I edited my post at your suggestion.

The reception is at the same place so I will add 'Reception to follow,' and I think the first wording option you presented fits best. Thanks again!
  • I would like to add a question about abbreviations... would it be appropriate to use abbreviations on the directions card in my wedding invitations? Mainly the map I am concerned about. The actual directions will be written out. Or should they be consistent?
  • Would using abbreviations on the map make it easier to use? If so, then I don't see why not. If not, especially if the map would be harder to use when using abbreviations, then it's probably better to keep it consistent with the written directions.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards