Catholic Weddings

Wedding program for non-Catholic guests

Hi guys,

I was wondering - does anyone have a sample program they're planning to use/have used that would help non-Catholic guests follow along?  I'll be the only practicing Catholic at my wedding, and my in-laws-to-be are all Presbyterian (I'm the first Catholic they've ever met and they definitely have never been inside a Catholic church before).  I'd like something that preferably indicates when to stand, kneel, etc, if anyone has anything like that?  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!   

Re: Wedding program for non-Catholic guests

• I'm working on mine, too. Only Catholic in my family, and we're having a Nuptial Mass...it's going to be interesting. Looking forward to others' input! I need to have mine done asap (almost 2 months out!) so if nothing else, I can share mine.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Thanks!  That's really sweet.  I think I'll probably have to make one from scratch, since I want it to be quite detailed (I'm the first Catholic FI's family has ever met and they are really nervous they are going to stand at the wrong time or whatever).  If you do make one, and you don't mind sharing, that would be great to see, though!  You must be getting excited - 2 months isn't long at all! 
  • I'd love to see what you're doing as well - maybe there's a way we can collaborate?

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• MesmrEweMesmrEwe member
    First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited August 2014
    Ours was quite detailed - unfortunately I don't know where the file is for it.  Be aware though - it'll be 3-4 half-pages which was a bear to tie..
  • KPBM89KPBM89 member
    First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its First Anniversary
    edited August 2014
    Ours didn't say when to stand, kneel, etc. because our priest indicated these to guests.  We also had a note that the pew books had a general order of mass (which does say when to stand, sit, kneel, and also responses) so that guests could follow that if they chose to.  This is what ours had in it:

Front cover had our names, date, and church name
    Back cover had directions to the reception venue

Inside front cover first had our priest's name, then our parents' names, then our grandmothers' names, then bridal party names, then the names of our musicians

After that, we had a few notes, like remembering those who have passed in our families and thanking everyone for coming and for their love and support.

We then put in this note:
    "For our guests who are not Catholic, we welcome you to this celebration of the nuptial mass. Please participate to the extent that you feel comfortable, while respecting the prayerful nature of the liturgy. The general order of mass can be found in Breaking Bread, including responses and some of the music selections."

The next page listed the order of our ceremony:
    Prelude | [Song, Composer]
    Processional | [Song, Composer]
    Bridal Processional | [Song, Composer]

Liturgy of the Word
    First Reading | [Reading]
    [Name of reader and relation to us]
    Responsorial Psalm | [Response]
    Second Reading | [Reading]
    [Name of reader and relation to us]
    Gospel Acclamation | Alleluia
    Gospel Reading | [Reading (ours was done by our priest so we didn't need to add a name with this)]
    Homily

Rite of Marriage
    Exchange of Consent and Marriage Vows
    Blessing and Exchange of Rings
    Prayer of the Faithful

Liturgy of the Eucharist
    Preparation of the Gifts | [Song, Composer]
    [Names of those who brought the gifts forward]
    Eucharistic Prayer
    The Lord’s Prayer
    The Nuptial Blessing
    The Sign of Peace
    Communion | [Song, Composer]

Concluding Rite
    Final Blessing
    Presentation of the Bride and Groom
    Recessional | [Song, Composer]

Hopefully this can help some of you!  Your mass might be a slightly different order or might include other things (like a unity candle or sand pouring), which are easy to add in.  Our priest was amazing with hinting when to stand or kneel.  He also let everyone know who was able to receive communion so there was no confusion.  I'd say about a third to one half of our guests were Catholic.

• Just a note: the unity candle is not part of Catholic tradition or practice. The exchange of promises before the deacon or priest is the matter of the sacrament. You don't need to add to it to make it "more."
  • mrsmorales2be, I would definitely be up for that, although my wedding isn't until next August so I probably won't be doing it too soon.  When is yours?

KPBM89, thank you so much.  That's really great - I appreciate it.  We're not having a Mass, just the Rite of Marriage, since my fiance (and literally every guest) are non-Catholics - that's my big concern!  No unity candle or anything like that either.  It should be easy to adapt your one though, thanks a lot!
  • @elizabethp17 - Oct. 25th, 2014, so significantly earlier than yours, but when I get mine all worked out, I'll pass it along.  I'm having a full Mass, though, so it might not be overly useful.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Above the Stand/sit/kneel...  You may want to add something about Communion that only practicing Catholics are allowed to receive but that those who aren't and/or children may come forward for a blessing (arms crossed on their chests) ..  The hymnals in our parish have a note regarding this which puts into very respectful terms the who may/may not receive.  We have one gentleman who every time he sees us mentions how this was a turning point in his faith on our wedding day. 

• IrishPirate60IrishPirate60 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited September 2014
    The OP specifically said they were NOT having a Mass, so these comments about communion are superfluous.
  • edited September 2014
    @IrishPirate60 - perhaps superfluous to OP's question, but the fact that she's not having a nuptial mass was not noted in the original post.  Also, discussing how to handle the Liturgy of the Eucharist in the program is useful to the general discussion.  I doubt it's stepping on OP's toes.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Not in the original post, but in a subsequent one, only two posts above the "rules about receiving communion." It's not like this is a thread covering multiple pages, for Pete's sake.
  • The information is still useful to the general discussion on preparing a program for non-Catholic guests. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• The information is still useful to the general discussion on preparing a program for non-Catholic guests. 

For which there are several other threads addressing that specific issue. Keep it simple.
  • Hey all~

New to this thread and would also appreciate help with this. My fiance is Lutheran and the majority of his family also are. Also, we're both in medical school, and a good portion of our friends are Jewish, Hindi, Buddhist, you name it! We're doing a full mass for two reasons: it's important to me (as an Irish Catholic) and our priest officiant said he would do "everything possible" to make everyone feel welcome, regardless of religious affiliations

That being said, we do want our program to be as inclusive as possible. I'm curious what the ladies in this thread (elizabethp17mrsmorales2be) ended up producing?  Would you be open to sharing a draft? Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards