Wedding Etiquette Forum

not using a vendor etiquette question

My FI and I were wondering if we need to notify a vendor that we will NOT be using them. We visited with three ceremony & reception combo venues and decided to go with the first one (even though we thought going in that it would be the one we liked the least). The other two were great but not what we wanted. Do we need to contact the other two and say thanks but no thanks? Or will they figure it out when we never call back to put in a deposit? The people were super nice. They asked us BOTH about our vision for the wedding which was great because it's not MY day, it's OUR day. One even made us iced tea and fruit salad for our tour. They aren't reserving the date for us or anything as far as I know. Just curious as to what is proper and/or expected.

Thank you!

Re: not using a vendor etiquette question

• Nope! Unless you've had extended conversations, emails, or phone calls so that you really know the vendors, I don't think it's necessary to tell them you haven't chosen them.
  • If my contact was just by email gathering information, I didn't tell them I picked someone else. 

If I visited with a vendor in person, I let them know we went with someone else. 

For your circumstance, I would let them know that you are going to go with another venue. It's nice, and won't take you very long.

• As a business owner, it's nice to get that feedback, too. 
  • I didn't want them to waste time calling/emailing us for follow-up, so I notified all of mine. I thanked them for their help and complimented the things that stood out for us. I made sure to address it to the coordinator so they could show it to their manager for performance reviews.
  • DH and I didn't explicitly contact the other venues we looked at.  We did have a couple of them follow up with us later by email.  We would then send a quick email saying something to the effect of "Thank you for taking the time to meet with us.  We have decided to book another venue for our wedding."
  • I e-mailed the vendors that I didn't choose and thanked them for their time and let them know we were using someone else. I usually tried to throw a compliment in there as well. I hate to just leave people hanging wondering what happened to me and it only took a few minutes.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards