Wedding Etiquette Forum

Dress Change

I am freaking out a bit.  my fiance and I are learning the Tango as our second "entertaining" dance, but with the tango comes a dress change.  All this was decided after I bought my beautiful dress that I LOVE.  I have no problem with a quick dress change, my wedding gown is easy to get in and out of, but I want to get back into my wedding dress after the dance?  Is this weird?  We love the Argentine Tango it totally defines are relationship, but trying to figure out how to pull off a dress change that would go something like this....Wedding Dress, Dress Change to Tango Dress, back to Wedding Dress. 

Any insight would be a huge help and thank you so much for your input!

Re: Dress Change

• I know nothing about the tango. Why do you need a special dress to dance it?
  • I am freaking out a bit.  my fiance and I are learning the Tango as our second "entertaining" dance, but with the tango comes a dress change.  All this was decided after I bought my beautiful dress that I LOVE.  I have no problem with a quick dress change, my wedding gown is easy to get in and out of, but I want to get back into my wedding dress after the dance?  Is this weird?  We love the Argentine Tango it totally defines are relationship, but trying to figure out how to pull off a dress change that would go something like this....Wedding Dress, Dress Change to Tango Dress, back to Wedding Dress. 

Any insight would be a huge help and thank you so much for your input!

By second entertaining dance, do you mean second spotlight dance? If so, you only need one spotlight dance, so drop a second dance. Just do your tango in your gown while everybody else is doing the tango with you.
  • I know nothing about the tango. Why do you need a special dress to dance it?

I think it has to be pretty tight for some of the moves.

That being said, you don't need a second entertaining dance OP. Just have one spotlight dance for the two of you and then you don't have to worry about it.
  • Two spotlight dances by the bride and groom is one too many.  If you want to dance the tango do that as your first dance and then move on to the rest of the reception.
    photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
  • What is a second entertaining dance?
  • thanks girls! the first dance was going to brief just for a photo opportunity in my dress, will not have two dances as suggested.  We were going to do our dance after dinner.  I just am no questioning how to smoothly do a dress change and then go back to wearing my dress after the spotlight dance and if that is weird go to go from my wedding dress, to tango dress, wedding dress. We are learning the dance from the movie Take the Lead.

• Yeah, if you have a ballgown, the tango is going to be tricky. There's a lot of close leg work.

I would say change right after you cut the cake (if you're doing that at the end of dinner). You can change while people are getting cake. With your MOH or mother helping, it won't take long. Shimmy out of one dress and step right into the next one.

Do the tango as your spotlight dance and then have your DJ play a slow song that everyone can dance to. Slip away, shimmy back into that ballgown, and run back out to the dance floor.
  • AprilH81 said:
    What about changing into your tango dress before your entrance, then doing the first dance, then as the first course is being served (or the buffet opens) go  change back into your wedding dress?
    Oh, this is even better!
  • So you change, and then change back.

I guess I'm not seeing what the problem is. Just leave for two minutes. Make sure you're guests have food or refreshed beverages so they can continue to mingle. If you can schedule dress changes and dances around food, so that people aren't sitting around, that would be best.

If I wanted two dances, I would do once dance immediately after the entrance (don't even sit down), then cut the cake or start dinner, go change either between courses / as soon as you've eaten, then come back and do the second dance as the cake is being served, and now the dance floor is open. You can then bug out and change without people sitting around.
  • Honestly, I would be a little put off if the bride spent so much time doing costume changes instead of spending time with her guests. It's a party, not a production.

Why don't you do the tango later in the night (not as a spotlight dance) and just keep your tango dress on for the rest of the party? If you're anything like me, you'll be dying to change out of your ballgown after spending so many hours dancing and sweating in it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards