Wedding Etiquette Forum

We are renting and dont want to move a bunch of stuff from a registry when we settle in a new home

We are renting and registering right now doesn't make much sense.  But not registering creates confusion.  We just want cash but are not requiring a gift from our guests at all.  IF they ask where we are registered I just say we are saving up for a home and dont want to move a bunch of stuff from one home to the next.  We plan to have a card box at the wedding.  Is there a better way of communicating this message of "why" we aren't registering?  I know boards say cash is tacky, but getting gifts at a time when it doesn't make sense just because wedding tradition dictates this doesnt really make sense.  We are older and have much of what we need.  We need furniture more than anything really.

Re: We are renting and dont want to move a bunch of stuff from a registry when we settle in a new home

• We are renting and registering right now doesn't make much sense.  But not registering creates confusion.  We just want cash but are not requiring a gift from our guests at all.  IF they ask where we are registered I just say we are saving up for a home and dont want to move a bunch of stuff from one home to the next.  We plan to have a card box at the wedding.  Is there a better way of communicating this message of "why" we aren't registering?  I know boards say cash is tacky, but getting gifts at a time when it doesn't make sense just because wedding tradition dictates this doesnt really make sense.  We are older and have much of what we need.  We need furniture more than anything really.

What you're doing is fine. You want cash so you're not registering and IF people ask you're telling them you're saving up for XYZ." You don't need to provide further explanation to people. Cash is a great gift! Everyone knows that!
    *********************************************************************************

• We are renting and registering right now doesn't make much sense.  But not registering creates confusion.  We just want cash but are not requiring a gift from our guests at all.  IF they ask where we are registered I just say we are saving up for a home and dont want to move a bunch of stuff from one home to the next.  We plan to have a card box at the wedding.  Is there a better way of communicating this message of "why" we aren't registering?  I know boards say cash is tacky, but getting gifts at a time when it doesn't make sense just because wedding tradition dictates this doesnt really make sense.  We are older and have much of what we need.  We need furniture more than anything really.
    This is fine. Everyone will get the hint.
  • Bubblegum5586Bubblegum5586 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited August 2014
    I feel it is common nowadays that gifts are given more at the showers and cash at the actual wedding (although we did get a few gifts at the wedding). 

We were in a similar situation where we were renting too. We still registered knowing it would be a good opportunity to get some nice stuff now and save some nice stuff for later. 

We ended up buying our house 9 months after the wedding (luckily my mom stored our gifts for us) and wow it was awesome to open all new stuff in a new house. 

We also got giftcards and had about $500 to spend that we saved for when we got a house, and returned a few items and had closer to $1000 to spend on new curtains and other home accessories... it was awesome! 

I still think you should do a small registery.. maybe update your sheets or towels, get a nice new comforter. But most people will just give cash anyways at the wedding!

Anniversary
    Nope.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We are mid 30s and had alot of stuff already from living on our own for over a decade.  We also knew we'd be buying a house shortly after the wedding.  We registered for upgrades (and a few new things!).  We purposely didn't open any of the shower gifts so we would have all sorts of new things for our new house!  Sure, we had to move it, but we also purged alot of old stuff at the same time (ie we got a new coffee pot, new sheets/towels, new pots, new dishes, etc....and didn't take the old stuff with us)  Moving in was fun!  Just a thought.  Otherwise, small or no registry and people should get the hint.
  • Just make sure you decline any showers if you are not registering.

• Thanks girls, really helpful opinions and lots of food for thought!! Maybe we will do a small registry
  • SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    If someone asks, telling them, "We are saving up for our new house" is perfectly acceptable. 

I would have a small registry though, as there are those who do not give cash as gifts and will want to give a gift. Keep it to things that are easy to move and upgrade items you know you will use (towels, sheets, dishware, small kitchen appliances). 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards