Wedding Party
Options

Too Many People in the Wedding?

Hi everyone, 

I'm not sure if my situation is going to seem strange to some of you. I am Mexican and I am having a traditional Catholic wedding for the church. My dilemma is that I need a married couple to be my "padrinos de velacion" which essentially means these two people would sit with my husband-to-be in the altar. My friends have used their maid of honor and husband to play this role, but I will not.

I want to have a maid of honor and a matron of honor. My sister and my best friend of 17 years. My best friend is married, but since her husband and my fiance are not great friends, he is not in the wedding. 

This would imply that I would have the first couple sit in the altar with me in the church, and on top of that I essentially have 2 maids of honor. Do you think that it is too confusing? Is it too many people?

The first couple's only role would be in the church, nothing else. They would wear whatever they want. My maid and matron of honor would do the traditional duties and wear the dresses with the wedding colors. I also have more bridesmaids, but those I'm not worried about. 

On one hand I'm thinking it's my wedding and nothing is set in stone. But does this sound strange to anyone else?

I hope someone can provide me some input, because I'm not sure if this is too much. I don't know what to do. 

Re: Too Many People in the Wedding?

• Options
    First, your tradition is a new one to me and it sounds very touching.  I wish you would have given more info. about it, just to educate us.  To take a shot at your real question, no, I don't think you have too many people, but I come from the belief that there can NEVER be too many people.  Surround yourself with those who love you and with every one of the traditions you honor and enjoy the day.
  • Options
    You can have as many MOHs as you want. I'm not familiar with this tradition, but if you are asking non-WP people to perform a role in the ceremony, I would make sure you also invite them to any rehearsals and rehearsal dinners are you planning. And, if it were me personally, I would get them a corsage and boutonniere and a reserved seat for the ceremony.
    *********************************************************************************

• Options

Your plan sounds great. Especially the part that the couple who sits at the alter with you can wear whatever they want. I agree with PP that a corsage and boutonniere to show that they had a special part of your day would be a nice touch.

• Options
    I've been to a few weddings where there were padrinos. They came into the sanctuary during the declaration of intent and exchange of vows. The wedding coordinator at your church will help find an appropriate place for them to stand. And I agree with giving them a corsage / bout.
  • Options
    Unless you have more people standing at the altar with you than sitting in the chairs, you don't have too many people in the wedding party!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards