New Jersey

Name Change in NJ

Hey ladies.  Just a question.  When changing my last name, I know I need to start with SS.  What exactly do I need to bring with me and what do I need to fill out in terms of paperwork, if any.  The website was helpful, but still a little confused.  I know I need my marriage license and proof of citizenship and ID.  Is there any paperwork I need to fill out?  And will it be easy to hyphenate if thats what I choose to do?  TIA!
Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Name Change in NJ

• I didn't hyphenate my name, and changed it with SS via mail. The turnaround was about two weeks, and it much more convenient that sitting at the SS office. I sent them a certified copy or our marriage certificate, my birth certificate, and my passport.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I literally changed everything yesterday and today.  It was super easy.  I actually went to the SS office and waited all of 10 minutes.  The longest was DMV today.  I waited 2 hours to change my license.
    Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I didn't hyphenate my name, and changed it with SS via mail. The turnaround was about two weeks, and it much more convenient that sitting at the SS office. I sent them a certified copy or our marriage certificate, my birth certificate, and my passport.
    Good to know.  I did the DMV first.  My passport was just mailed in a few weeks ago to be changed.  I don't feel like sitting in the SS office.  So I think I'll go the mail route.
    Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards