Flowers

Saving on Floral!!

Hello! My Fiance and I don't have room in our budget to spend the average floral prices. We thought of doing silk flowers but, I can't find any flowers that don't look tacky and just scream fake. Any suggests on keeping the flowers looking tasteful on a budget in the Columbus, Ohio region?? Thanks everyone!

Re: Saving on Floral!!

• The best way to keep floral prices down is to use flowers that are local to your region and in season at the time of your wedding.  Simple arrangements will also help keep costs down and can still be very beautiful.  It doesn't hurt to talk to some florists and see what they can do in your budget
  • You don't have to have flowers for your centerpieces if they're not in your budget. 

Glassware is a dime a dozen on craiglist, the classifieds, or at thrift stores. Get some of that, put some rocks/sand/fake bling in the bottom of them and add a candle. Incorporate color with ribbon or petals. I bet you wouldn't spend more than $3-5/ea on something like that.
    *********************************************************************************

• Hobby Lobby has the real touch fake flowers, they are single stemmed though, and I was told by a Columbus Hobby Lobby (Polaris) that they go on sale 40 to 50% off usually opposite the week that the other flowers aren't on sale. I bought some during a week that the fake fake flowers were on sale, thinking the real touch ones were also on sale, but they weren't so I returned them, that week I returned them, the real touch ones were on sale. Hobby Lobby also has the usual coupons for 40 to 50% off 1 regular priced item as well.

Additionally something like this can be done that isn't flowers, they are water beads/pearls, although I don't know how much they would run. Also things can be done with wine corks, fruit, etc....heres more examples...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Hobby Lobby has the real touch fake flowers, they are single stemmed though, and I was told by a Columbus Hobby Lobby (Polaris) that they go on sale 40 to 50% off usually opposite the week that the other flowers aren't on sale. I bought some during a week that the fake fake flowers were on sale, thinking the real touch ones were also on sale, but they weren't so I returned them, that week I returned them, the real touch ones were on sale. Hobby Lobby also has the usual coupons for 40 to 50% off 1 regular priced item as well.

Additionally something like this can be done that isn't flowers, they are water beads/pearls, although I don't know how much they would run. Also things can be done with wine corks, fruit, etc....heres more examples...
    I am using the water beads/pearls. At my local Joanns they cost $4.99 for 4.5 liters worth after they are hydrated. I bought mine on Amazon for $7.00 for 6 gallons worth after hydration. It was the better deal and I know I will have plenty for the big day. They only require 6 hours to hydrate.
  • Local flowers that are/would be in season for your wedding cuts down the price by a bit. We're doing a spring wedding and are having tulips which are in season for our wedding and inexpensive to begin with. 

You can go the non-flower route too or DIY it with flowers from Costco or your local grocery store if you don't want fake flowers. Like PPs have mentioned, you don't need flowers for centerpieces either.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @knotporscha - all of michelle2546 posts are flower moxie related.
    *********************************************************************************

• try your local supermarket if they have a floral section for real flowers or a costco/sams club. i hear whole foods also does floral arrangements. i've ordered baby shower centerpiece flowers from my local shop rite and they did a fantastic job for about $8 a bouquet. we just did a bundle of whatever white flowers were available and i sliced lemons and limes and put them in the vase to add color (didn't know the sex of the baby so we kept it neutral). they were a hit and everyone took them home

• Thanks, everbody for the advice!
  • You can get candles in bulk for pretty cheap - if you bunch various candles (tall / fat, short / fat / tealights, etc) together in the middle of the table and light them, the effect is very pretty & romantic.  All they might need is a tray or decorative plate to sit on (so you don't get wax on the table).
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Mr. Bean Flipping the Bird
  • There's a lady at the local Farmers Market that sells bunches of flowers all the time and they are always beautiful. Would this be an option for you?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards