Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Dear, That Is Considered Rude In Some Circles...

I thought I'd share something that more than one Knottie might find quite amusing and perhaps a bit of karma.

As I posted on Chit Chat, my smart & beautiful FSD will be getting married the day after me, in Las Vegas.  Great.  Wunderbar.  Mazel tov and all that good stuff.  So, she's texting, emailing and calling me to get everything together.  She's at ROTC training until late October.  We're bonding.  I'm in wedding heaven.  Full of suggestions and questions.  She tells me they want only immediate family because they are going to have a celebration back home (in South Dakota) in February.

I think that I held my breath for just a few extra seconds.  I say that's fine.  Then she says, "I don't want to plan two weddings; I'm gonna hire a coordinator!"

Ladies, stop laughing.

I pause.  I say,"well, when you get married in Vegas, that is your wedding.  It is considered rude by some to have two.  What you're talking about is a celebration of marriage."

Man, crow does not taste good.

She says, I don't know.  What do I do?

I say, well, how would you plan any other party?  A venue, food, a band if you want...  Use your colors to decorate the food table.  Paper lanterns are gorgeous these days!  Oh, and make sure that everyone knows you're married.

She says okay.  I went on to tell her that she will be pressured and told by many people what should be done, but that's it's her and her FI's day.  I told her we would support her in whatever decision they make, but that I would tell her if there would be blow back, bad or hurt feelings from those decisions.

A part of my militant psyche just died.
Happiness is an inside job

Re: Dear, That Is Considered Rude In Some Circles...

• Options
    First of all, your posts make me laugh on the reg, so thanks for that :)

Why thank you.  I do find TK an most entertaining way to spend the time!  Differences in opinion or no.

Second, she is lucky to have you to guide her.  I think so many people out there don't even realize they're committing faux pas, and it doesn't even occur to them to look for advice.  I feel like it's our duty to teach our friends the proper ways!

Thank you again.  I've got my work cut out for me.  I am not so crazy about the decision to severely limit the guest list to the ceremony when so many of the family will be there.  I mean, not even her grandma & pa!  I get that his grands won't be there... but, I fear that many of the aunts, uncles and cousins will be hurt since they are there for our wedding.  I've explained that to her and she understands, but it is her FI's wish.  I also told her that it would be best to host the guests (all 10 of us) after the ceremony.  That's why we stepped up and offered to host them at one of the better buffets.  Then she tells me she wants a 1pm ceremony and then they will go out on the strip for pictures, so she wants to have dinner.  Oh, I cringed.  Four hour gap.  I will work on her for that one, but there really isn't a good way to do it...  Since all of us will be staying at the hotel...  At least that won't make us unavailable for our guests who will still be in town that afternoon...  Right??????

Wish me luck!

• Options
    I wish you could see the giant smile on my face right now!

• Options
    I wish you could see the giant smile on my face right now!
    Me too!  Kicking and screaming... yet trying to hang on to my live and let live philosophy...
  • Options
    Oh boy! I wish you the best if luck but I get the feeling this is only the beginning.
  • Options

Mmmmm....the buffet at the Rio.  Sorry, I was distracted for a moment.

I used to go to Vegas all the time when I lived in So. Cal.  But now that I moved to the South, I've only been once in the last 15 years.  (Sigh).

You keep fighting the good fight, Ndelible! ;)  Sounds like you are choosing just the right mix of steering her in the right direction, without being overbearing or nagging about it.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    The good part in all of this is that we will not be at her party since it will be in SD. So we will avoid most of the blowback on that. However, I get the feeling that it might be common there. Actually, FH made a comment a few months ago about having two weddings... At first, I was like, you were married twice before??? And he said no, he and the Ex did the courthouse and then did the re-enactment and he did not want to do it again. Just once he said. I thought to myself, dang, he had a PPD! Even if I still don't like the term.
  • Options
    @short+sassy‌ Rio is old news girl. Wicked Spoon - amazing. I can't wait to try Bacchanal at Caesars. I love Vegas now more than before. So many choices. Now I don't have to eat at McDonalds!
  • Options
    Ndelible said:
    The good part in all of this is that we will not be at her party since it will be in SD. So we will avoid most of the blowback on that. However, I get the feeling that it might be common there. Actually, FH made a comment a few months ago about having two weddings... At first, I was like, you were married twice before??? And he said no, he and the Ex did the courthouse and then did the re-enactment and he did not want to do it again. Just once he said. I thought to myself, dang, he had a PPD! Even if I still don't like the term.
    We're in your head. There's no turning back now.

• Options
    Ndelible said:
    We're in your head. There's no turning back now.

Yes, it appears that you are. Guess I better go out and get my satin jacket; can I join the gang too? I'll be the softie.
  • Options
    Ndelible said:
    @short+sassy‌ Rio is old news girl. Wicked Spoon - amazing. I can't wait to try Bacchanal at Caesars. I love Vegas now more than before. So many choices. Now I don't have to eat at McDonalds!
    Thanks for keeping me up to date.  See how long it has been for me, lol?  I'll have to look out for that one next time I am there.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I'm sorry, I still can't get over the fact that she's getting married during YOUR DW. You're a better person than me because I wouldn't be able to let that go. I think that is beyond tacky on her part. 
  • Options
    I'm in SD and it is NOT common here from what I know.
  • Options
    I'm sorry, I still can't get over the fact that she's getting married during YOUR DW. You're a better person than me because I wouldn't be able to let that go. I think that is beyond tacky on her part. 

I almost can't believe that I'm so laid back about it. They are young. We think they should wait, but, they are great kids, responsible, smart and generally think things through. Yes, they are adults, but they ain't grown. They've never planned a wedding and have been to very few, so I'm letting them pass on the crashing my DW weekend. FH's family being there and excited is a big deal because until recently, FH was estranged from his family for reasons no quite understands or remembers. FH and his kids are like long lost family members. It means a lot to them to be a part of any of this, which is why I am concerned about their feelings on being excluded from her ceremony. And the Ex will be there. No one has brought up FH's Ex!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards