October 2014 Weddings

Receiving Line?

So I am highly considering doing a receiving line since I would really like to enjoy my wedding. FH's cousin got married last year and both her and the groom didn't enjoy themselves or get to eat since they were so busy goign from table to table. We aren't having as many guests at them. I believe they had about 130-140. We have invited 91? and so far only 1 No RSVP. My thought is to only have myself and FH and both sets of parents. This way I don't have my friends who are in our bridal party having awkward interactions with our families as they haven't met most of them. A good friend got married last year and had I believe about 60 guests and did a receiving line but with the whole bridal party which did get awkward since I only really knew the bride. That receiving line went decently quick. We couldnt have waited more then 10-15 minutes. So imagine with not the whole bridal party it should be about the same? So what does everyone think of a receiving line?

Re: Receiving Line?

• I think doing just parents and bride and groom is a great idea.  Last wedding I went to we had to hug/shake hands with a bunch of strangers all awkwardly.  I think it just comes down to making time for yourselves.

Anniversary
  • I want to do a receiving line as opposed to table visits for just that reason. I want to eat, drink and be merry. I'll still talk to everyone, it's not like I'll be shunning people, but I want to enjoy myself without the worry of "oh god did I forget to go hug soandso." I'm still working on getting fiance on board. He's not a fan of receiving lines. Of course, he's not a fan of table visits either.
  • I think FI wants to do a receiving line, and I'm really not sure.  I don't mind saying hi to everyone, but the thing is - I am really uncomfortable with hugging.  I don't want people to hug me.  I would much rather get/give a handshake, but I know that being the bride, everyone is going to try to go in for the hug. 

I am seriously considering having no receiving line for this reason.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We aren't doing a receiving line. A. because we have to drive through some traffic to get to the reception. So we want to make sure everyone gets there in time to enjoy everything! B. because I hate the awkwardness of hugging and shaking hands and the lingering conversation when people don't know when to move on! If I'm visiting tables I can set the pace. If they are visiting me, I'm stuck! I like setting the pace and length of conversations. Plus you don't have to do it in one fell swoop. Eat a bit, go talk to a few tables, eat the second course, talk to a few more. It's spread out which is more my speed.
    October 2014 Brides - July Siggy Challenge: Cakes
  • We are doing a reception line. I believe some people will leave early and I don't want to miss anyone.
  • We are doing a receiving line after our ceremony- just FI and I because alot of our guests don't know our parents. We also plan to do table visits, but want to make sure we get through everyone at least once
  • I was wondering about doing a receiving line since I have a lot of out of town guests that I haven't seen in years. I was also thinking about going to my whole cocktail hour and then I will be able to talk to my guest there too more. 
  • I was wondering about doing a receiving line since I have a lot of out of town guests that I haven't seen in years. I was also thinking about going to my whole cocktail hour and then I will be able to talk to my guest there too more. 

Yes! We are gonna try to get to cocktail hour as well. Our ceremony and venue are at the same place so we are planning on doing a first look and get bridal party pictures done before the ceremony then some quick pictures with our families after the ceremony. We are doing a JOP so i cant imagine that taking more then 15-20 then a receiving line after the ceremony followed by family pictures. If we dont make it i can at least say we tried!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards