Minnesota-Minneapolis and St. Paul
Options

Seriously Small Budget Wedding-I just need a room!!

Hey everyone! I just got engaged, wanting to get married Nov 1st this year, have a tiny budget (like under 5k total) and literally want to have a wedding that's one step above eloping - meaning a nice small room, short guest list under 50, and then bring in catering for a simple dinner to the same room afterwards.. real simple and easy (I hope!). I am not from the Minnesota area, which makes this even more difficult, but my fiancee is. Unfortunately, due to logistics our wedding can't really be held at his family member's homes (otherwise that would be perfect). My family will be coming in, so I am looking in the twin cities area. 

From looking around and inquiring, I am thinking I basically just want a decent looking meeting room that I can rent out that has no restrictions on catering and alcohol. I am in love with a venue but they have been a bear to get a hold of and I'm anxious about whether they'll be available, too pricey, etc. What I like about this place is:
- exposed brick, windows, and character make for an easy to decorate space for both ceremony and reception, and not the typical banquet hall
- no catering restrictions so I can bring in whatever, including drinks
- no frills, small, but still kinda cool
- downtown st. paul area so easy access to hotels and other cool things for guests to visit

I've looked at 514, Happy Gnome, Landscape Arboretum, Cowles and countless other places but they are all above my budget especially with food and drink minimums. I LOVE the look of Day Block event center, just a blank brick and wood floor slate but also too expensive. So seriously, all I'm asking for is one nice looking room that I can rent out and use for ceremony and reception. It will be November so I'm just looking for indoor rooms. I will greatly appreciate any suggestions! I am trying to work fast!

oh thank you thank you thank you

Re: Seriously Small Budget Wedding-I just need a room!!

• Options
    MesmrEweMesmrEwe member
    First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited August 2014

What about a hotel meeting room...  But if you play your cards right all-inclusive can save you money.  But some hotels have looser policies than others - mainly if they don't have a catering option in-house. 

Honestly, if I was doing an "Elope at home" I'd check the St. James in Red Wing bar none...  Hubble House in Mantorville...  Sofitel..  Hudson House Grand Hotel (tops - we've had several events here such as DD's First Communion and our RD - same size as your guest list and it was well under your budget with their nicer meal options)...

You could also check with Stillwater Boat & Packet or Afton Cruise Lines for another option/idea...

Basically, the further out from the metro you go the easier it'll be to stay on your budget. 

• Options
    lahnaloolahnaloo member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited August 2014
    These places do have catering and alcohol restrictions, but they are pretty cheap.

Check the 5120 Onyx Bar in Bloomington, MN It's like a $2,500 minimum with no rental fee. It's very beautiful on the inside so you really don't need to decorate. http://www.5120mn.com/wedding-reception-venue-bloomington-minneapolis.html 

Another place I really liked was Maple Tavern, in Maple Grove, MN The outside doesn't look great, but there's a private banquet room downstairs with really cool exposed pipes on the ceiling and chandeliers.

For No Restrictions check out Center for the Arts in Hopkins, MN
    http://www.hopkinsartscenter.com/rent-the-center/
  • Options
    Have you checked out Ambiente Gallerie in northeast Minneapolis? I do not know their rental fee or food restrictions, but it meets the criteria you are looking for: exposed break, not too big, near hotels and activities, etc. Don't be confused by the strange website: the building is primarily used as a chiropractic office...but on nights and weekends it becomes an event space and is gorgeous. I was there for a massage and couldn't believe it was a massage studio. Might be worth looking into: http://www.ambientegallerie.com/index.html
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I know you don't want catering restrictions, but if you reserve part of a restaurant it might be within your budget.
    This is a good Italian Restaurant in downtown Saint Paul. The building is beautiful lots of wood/exposed brick/stone plus they have a yummy pasta bar

Another good restaurant in the same building (similar look)

You could also try Union Depot.
    Have you tried AirBnB sometimes people have lofts available if you were thinking about doing it at house anyway that might work for you.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards