Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

Best Man speech

My FH's Best Man just found out that he will not be able to make the wedding.  He is in the Army, it is completely out of his hands.

He messaged me about surprising FH with his best man speech via prerecorded video.  I think FH would love this (and TBH while he understands and isn't angry, him not having his BM there is really getting him down).  I was wondering though, as a guest, would anyone mind this?

ETA: Or do you think it would be more appropriate during the rehearsal dinner with a smaller crowd?

Re: Best Man speech

• I definitely wouldn't mind, especially considering the circumstances.  (There are and were a lot of veterans in my family so I'm a strong supporter of service men and women.)

But depending on how intimate the speech is, your FH might prefer to play it at the rehearsal dinner.
  • I wouldn't mind.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • I wouldn't mind. Usually they're not "speeches" though, they're toasts. So if its a long speech (not a short toast), maybe it makes more sense for your FI to watch it before the wedding while the guys are getting ready.
    *********************************************************************************

• Like southernbelle pointed out, if it's more of a "speech" rather than a toast, it might be better suited at a different time.  But if it's the toast the BM had planned on giving on the wedding, I would think it's very special as a guest.
    Anniversary

• All good points. I'm thinking I'll probably watch it when he sends it (and probably cry like a child, FH's BM is such an awesome person. I'm pretty sad he's not going to be there too.) and see how long winded or personal he gets then decide where best suited.
  • I wouldn't mind at all. In fact, I would think it's sweet.
  • I would think that was rad as hell. I say go for it.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• Another vote for doing it

• I love the idea.  I agree that you don't want a 10 minute speech, but a minute or two would be very heartfelt and awesome.  I think your FI and the guests would be really touched by it.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards