Just Engaged and Proposals

To Get A Wedding Planner or Not to Get a Wedding Planner?

I just got engaged a couple weeks ago.  I can't determine if I would like to get a wedding planner.  What would brides recommend?  Did anyone get one and not wish they had gotten one?  Thank you!!

Re: To Get A Wedding Planner or Not to Get a Wedding Planner?

• I just got engaged a couple weeks ago.  I can't determine if I would like to get a wedding planner.  What would brides recommend?  Did anyone get one and not wish they had gotten one?  Thank you!!
    So before you try to start paying people to plan your wedding, sit down with your FI and establish a budget and a rough guest count.

For me personally, I think it would have been a complete shame to dedicate money to someone's hefty commission instead of to upgrades at my wedding. I don't know, it's just not that hard to read through online reviews, make phone calls, set up appointments, figure out the right questions to ask, etc. - and I was finishing grad school and working when planning. However, if you're planning on having a very elaborate, detailed event or if you know you or your FI will have no time to dedicate to planning, or if you'd rather just hire someone to do the heavy lifting for you as opposed to putting that money into the wedding itself (fair choice - I DIY'd nothing for our wedding) you could consider hiring one.

Many people do hire Day of Coordinators though, which I would say would be worth the cost if your venue doesn't offer the services of a dedicated coordinator. For our wedding, we had a full service caterer who basically became our wedding planner and DOC - she coordinator with all the other vendors and the venue for me.

But really - get a budget down before you think about hiring a planner.

• I got a DOC. She is just starting her business, so she only charged us $350. It was one of the wisest decisions we could have made. I wanted to plan my own wedding. I actually enjoyed it- I had lots of ideas and had fun doing it. But on the day, YOU don't need to be looking for spare cocktail napkins or worrying where things are. If it is in the budget, I think a DOC is great.
  • A lot of venues offer packages where they handle all the details and provide DOCs, so that's something to think about as well!
  • I'm starting to wish I could afford a wedding planner, I feel like i'm drowning in ideas. 

"Four years ago, I was just a guy who had a crush on a girl, who had a boyfriend. And I had to do the hardest thing that I've ever had to do"

• I think the DOC is worth the cost 5x over! Plus, they can help you pick vendors, make schedules, and advise along the way. I don't think you can NOT afford a planner!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards