Destination Weddings Discussions

Destination Wedding Invites

Hi All,

This is my first post, and it's a little long winded, so I apologize...but this topic is giving me anxiety!

At the beginning of summer, I was asked to be a bridal attendant in a friend's wedding.  She assured me I would only have to help set up (which I did). She also mentioned she was asking me because she couldn't have anymore bridesmaids but wanted me to be included on the boat the bridal party (which my then boyfriend, now fiance was a part of) was taking between the ceremony and reception (3 hours).  On the day of the wedding, I found out from her mother that I would not be allowed on the boat, rather I would be serving drinks to guests at her wedding reception.  I did not feel as though this is part of the bridal attendant duties (they had caterers?) and refused to do it.   This obviously created tension between us and we have not talked since and don't see us resolving matters in the near (or far) future.  I have heard from our mutual friends that she has no interest in being my friend anymore. 

Fast forward to my engagement.  We decided to have a destination wedding with our closest friends and family.  I would like to get save the dates out but cannot decide what would be the right thing to do in regards to inviting her.  Traditional etiquette states I should invite her since she is the wife of my fiance's friend.  Although, I feel it would ruin MY time if she was there. If I were having a larger wedding at home, she would surely be invited.  But I feel that my small destination wedding is far too intimate to bring drama along and also to have to spend 5 days with someone who doesn't like me pains me.

So, do I risk ruining my time and inviting her so my fiance and his friend won't lose their relationship over this, or should I invite her husband as a solo guest?

Any advice or suggestions, good or bad, would be much appreciated!

Re: Destination Wedding Invites

• Wow!  So there was a 3 hour gap and you were expected to play bartender.  Sounds awesome (insert sarcasm)!  Who does that?!?!  Did she really think this was an acceptable demand.

You can not just invite her husband.  They are a partnership and if one is invited, they must both be invited.  You either need to include them both or not invite them at all.  I guess it depends on how good of friends your FI is with him and how important it is if he's there. 

I guess I am not sure why this woman would ruin your life if she was there.  It is your wedding and everyone will be there to celebrate with you.  If anything, she might feel like the odd man out.  I think you need to talk to FI and see how he feels about inviting or not inviting his mate.  

Good luck.

On a side note, you might also want to post on the etiquette board.  It's a bit busier.
  • Yes. Ridiculous demands!

Thanks for your input! 
  • This same situation happened to a good friend of mine. My friend and her ex-friend were no longer speaking and my friends FI and her ex-friends bf are pretty much best friends. My friend had a destination wedding and invited the friend "and guest". She did not invite her by name. Well this set her off enough to say she wasn't going and bc of that my friends FI's best friend did not go either. It didn't ruin their friendship but it was definitely a strain.

So if you want to insult her that's a good way! Lol. But seriously you should invite her. You cannot invite him solo. My thoughts is he will come alone or neither will come. I doubt she would spend money to come to your wedding if you aren't friends. Good luck!
  • While what she did was unacceptable and I understand why you wouldn't want her there, inviting just her husband is NOT an option. As a social unit, they must be invited together. So either they're both invited or both not invited. What does your FI want to do?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards