Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

Keratin Hair extensions - hair damage?

My hair dresser highly recommends I get Keratin hair extensions for my wedding so he has more hair to work with for my up do. I've never had them before and was hoping someone could give me an idea of what to expect. Currently, my hair length is to my chest and normal to semi thick and the idea is not to make my hair longer with extensions, just thicker. My concern is, when they take them out will they damage my real hair? Can someone whose had Keratin hair extensions give me an idea if it's worth getting them and how badly they can damage your hair? I've always had long hair and do not like the idea of having to chop all of my hair off because extensions ruined them! Any input is greatly appreciated :)

Re: Keratin Hair extensions - hair damage?

• Options
    Do you want to do it? If not don't. You hair dresser should be able to work with your own hair as is. That seems like a cop out to me. Most people have their updos done with their natural hair.
  • Options
    Id be asking why standard clip in extensions wouldn't work. I wore extensions for our wedding for thickness purposes only. I had fantastic hair and no one was the wiser. Teased and clipped in right, those suckers don't move.

I don't know. I wouldn't want to glue hair in just for my wedding day, personally. You hear the horror stories with keratin extensions - my guess is that may have more to do with the stylist than the actual treatment though.
  • Options
    I agree with PP, if you are worried about hair damage they aren't worth it. Clip-ins are great and cause no damage. I used them and my hair looked amazing. It was in an updo that lasted all night and really just gave my hair volume without looking unnatural. 
    "There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness." -Friedrich Nietzsche, "On Reading and Writing"
  • Options
    That is totally unnecessary, ESPECIALLY if you are doing an updo! I would side-eye the crap out of this and get a new hair stylist.
  • Options
    jenijoyk said:
    That is totally unnecessary, ESPECIALLY if you are doing an updo! I would side-eye the crap out of this and get a new hair stylist.
    THIS.  I feel like this hairdresser is just trying to take your $$$.  Keratin hair extensions are supposed to be LESS damaging, but they still damage. Just FYI.
  • Options
    jenijoykjenijoyk member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited September 2014
    jenijoyk said:
    THIS.  I feel like this hairdresser is just trying to take your $$$.  Keratin hair extensions are supposed to be LESS damaging, but they still damage. Just FYI.

Right??? If you're going with an updo, the clip-in extensions are PERFECT. Totally easy to hide, and he would only have to add as much hair as he needs, right at the spot of the updo. Also way, way, way cheaper.

If you were dreaming of having your hair down and want long, flowing, beach hair on your wedding day and honeymoon immediately following, I can see how Keratin extensions might be more attractive than clip-ins (but still not totally necessary if you have any hesitancy and are concerned about the risk and damage).

But for an updo? For one day? No no no no. Run!

• Options
    I use the clip in and love them, I've used them for up dos, keeping my hair down and curly...and the best part is all the hair dresser has to do tease the hair and clip them in then style your hair and the hair extensions. If they are clipped in properly and securely you shouldn't have a probably wearing them all day.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    i've had keratin extensions a few times in my life, they last months and yes DO damage your hair.... i have fine hair, but there's a lot of it. extensions look amazing and they're fun etc, but not worth the money for one day, as everyone else said, and they are damaging! i'm going with a down hairstyle for my wedding, and my stylist recommended that i get the clip-in kind to make my hair fuller and longer. 

i've never had clip-in extensions, those who have, how many do you buy? are there youtube tutorials? i'd like to try them out on my own before my wedding!
  • Options
    I'm obsessed with my clipins. I use SKR and buy them online. I just get the smallest pack (16 inches) and it is still more than enough for me. I get the medium blonde mix, and there's enough different colors mixed in the extensions that they work with my own hair whether I'm in a lighter or darker blond phase. 

There are A TON of YouTube videos with really fun ways to use them. My favorites are the Foxy Locks videos (just do a search and she'll pop up). And also the Luxy hair videos. Although I've never used either of their extensions, I do love their how to videos. 

It takes a long time to get confident enough to wear them without worrying the clips are showing. I still mostly use them only when I put my hair up because I'm more confident the clips won't show. But I'm sure my hair stylist will be much better at hiding them than I am on my wedding day.
  • Options
    For my clip ins I just bought 1 box and that was enough for me. I bought them at sallys and I keep my hair dyed pretty up to date to keep them matching. I think the length that I bought was somewhere between 16-20 something inches long, but I think more 20s. and my hair comes down to past shoulders when they are in, my own hair is at shoulders.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks everyone for your input! I really appreciate it. I'm going to have another conversation with my stylist and see why we can't go the "clip-in extension route" instead.
  • Options
    What type of damage did it do to your hair? Hair loss?
  • Options
    Thanks everyone for your input! I really appreciate it. I'm going to have another conversation with my stylist and see why we can't go the "clip-in extension route" instead.

I think that's a great idea!  Just be prepared if he/she starts pushing their extensions again, because more than likely, they will come up with an excuse as to why the clip ins won't work to sell their product.  And I think if you are up front about your concern with damage done to your hair, then hopefully they will see where you are coming from.  Good luck!
  • Options
    What type of damage did it do to your hair? Hair loss?
    I haven't personally had them, but I have friends who have.  They can cause hair loss, simply because of their weight.  Also, is it really worth spending $1,500 on hair for one day that no one is going to see?  I wholeheartedly recommend the clip ins.  I've worn them for updos and with my hair down, and they look really natural.  Actually, more natural than a lot of semi-permanent extensions I've seen.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards