Chit Chat

So... I forgot my sister's name.

This morning, I finally got around to doing the ice bucket challenge.  Yes, I've read the thread about how everyone hates it.  It's a little different in my family.  My mother died of ALS, so we are all doing the challenge, and donating money.  Also, I could hardly disappoint my eleven year old nephew who challenged me.

Anyway, in the video, I called her out by her maiden name.  Complete brain fart.  Mum didn't change her name; I'm not changing mine.  I'd completely forgotten that She'd changed hers.  Oh.  She's been married for two years.

Am I the only person that sucks at remembering people's married names?

Re: So... I forgot my sister's name.

• I had a coworker a while back who got married while we were working with her. Let's say her maiden name was Smith. She gets married, and her name changes to Jones. They divorce a year later and she goes back to Smith. I was confused as hell for a while.
  • My sister is still in my phone with my last name... I had a really hard time about her changing it, which is why I don't think I can change mine!

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

• My best friend from high school had a hyphenated name and for some reason I thought she added her husband's name to it. So I thought she was Amy Smith-Jones-Green. Which would be very silly.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    eyeroll
  • One of my teacher friends has had 3 different last names in the 13 years I've known her. I sometimes call her by the wrong one. Whenever a former student and I are talking and I refer to her, I always have to stop and think which name the kid knew her under, too. Sometimes there is confusion!
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • I still sign my maiden name from time to time, I think it's normal. You've probably known your sister by her maiden name longer than her married name, right? 
  • Fortunately it seems as though my sister didn't mind. I'm just so terrible with this. I have extended moments of, "who is this bloody stranger popping up on my Facebook feed," even though they have a recognizable profile pic. The new last names just throw me.
  • I addressed a birthday card to my SIL and accidentally wrote her maiden name. I hadn't written her name that way for over six years, so I have NO idea why I did that. I crossed it out with an "X", wrote the correct surname, and then wrote "oops" really tiny next to her maiden name. She got a good laugh out of it.
  • When my mom got checks for my wedding her relatives addressed the envelope wrong. ( I still lived at her house while engaged)
    Ex: Liz Jones
    Care of Mom ( mom's maiden name)

My parents are still married, never devorced. (married 40+ years)

She and I found it strange.
  • Be glad it's only been 2 years for your sister not 40.
  • @lizandmark2014 How strange that your mom still gets mail in her maiden name after that long!  Yes, I figure 2 years of one name vs. 27 of another.  I'm sure it takes a while.  Mind you, even the sister who married when I was 12 was never really anything other than an "insert my last name here" in my mind.  She is now one of those again.
  • I confuse myself all the time.  I kept my maiden name for professional reasons but changed it legally.  Every time I call to make an appointment somewhere, I go through this guessing game of which name am I under.

My SIL is still under her maiden name in my phone (it's been 3 years).  Don't know why I don't change it.
    Anniversary
  • This weekend, I accidentally referred to my uncle's FI by his ex-wife's name. Thank god I didn't do it in front of them, and only my parents and cousin heard. 
  • @ClimbingBrideNY: It always takes me ages to get my head around new partners.  Even when the new partner has been the new partner for several years.  

@beharrington: I can certainly see how that would become confusing.  I considered doing that, but it seemed like too much to worry about.  FI is totally fine with me not changing it.
  • My cousin sang a song during our ceremony and during the planning process, our officiant asked me how to pronounce her last name so she could present her.  I gave it to her, spelled phonetically, since it's pretty unusual.  The night of the rehearsal, I was helping the officiant practice it, when all of a sudden I exclaimed, "SHIT THAT'S NOT HER NAME."

I completely forgot that she changed it about two years ago when she got married to something much, much easier to pronounce.  The officiant was so relieved she no longer had to say "Superhardnamewithextraletters" and instead "Smith".  So glad I caught it before the wedding.
    Anniversary

• I also feel slightly better that during the ceremony, the officiant also forgot my sister's name, and used mine for a while (she's someone we've known since we were children). Fortunately it when she was referring to our family, so yeah, they're my family too, but if I were my sister, I would have been a bit put out. I'm so pleased it wasn't during any of the important bits!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards